Poll for FP3 owners: camera upgrade or not?

That’ll definitely not be done by Fairphone, it’d be such a small niche product… However you could duplicate your screen on a smart TV with Android Chromecast or similar if you have one :wink:

1 Like

Maybe a simple construction with a plain old handsize mirror would be a more realistic solution here?

4 Likes

Or one of those curved selfie mirrors as a stick-on.

Oh, man, this is amazing!

1. 25 EUR off on the bundle making the top module only 10 EUR.
  2. You can send your old modules back for recycling (ideally, it would be nice to have some money back for working ones – I just bought my FP3 – but there’s the marketplace, I guess)
  3. Finally seeing this modular phone idea working

Thanks, Fairphone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dang! EU countries only.

I guess I have to wait then (and I’ll lose the limited time offer).

Sad time.s

Does anybody know, if the new camera will still work with ported Google Pixel apps? I think the old one does, because some part of the hardware is identical to one of the Pixel phones. Will this still be the case with the new module?

1 Like

It will be a Samsung one, so no. But if the native app isn’t good enough, maybe the techies will find a better software as well :wink:

1 Like

Too bad - no night mode anymore? I might stay with the old module then. Tough choice…

1 Like

There are apps for casting the screen of your mobile phone to a laptop/pc. I think it’s via WiFi (you have to be on the same router…?):

ScreenStream (Screen streaming over HTTP) - https://f-droid.org/packages/info.dvkr.screenstream

There are probably hundreds of those in the Google Play Store, but many here appreciate F-Droid more (for many good reasons).

1 Like

I’ve gotten the impression that the upgrade alone doesn’t make an upgraded FP3 exactly the same as an FP3+, and I wonder if anyone can confirm this.

The main difference being that FP3+ claims to use 40% recycled plastics, while the FP3 only claims 5%, and I expect that all this plastic isn’t located in the camera modules.

So, am I correct in assuming that to promote more sustainable plastics, one should get an FP3+?

I wonder if this will affect their choice of production at all, ie, if a lot of people keep buying the FP3, whether they will keep producing it, even with the lower recycled plastic content.

6 Likes

I just ordered the new modules.
The old modules I will keep. As a Fairphone Angel it’s good to have some modules for testing.

5 Likes

I might buy the modules in the future when I hear enthusiastic reports about increased quality AND there is a decent camera app that works as good as the “Google Pixel port”. Optical zoom would have made a real difference over a “megapixel overkill”, quite a lot of smartphones have it.

An optical zoom would be very tricky to have on a smartphone. And fragile.
But you can always (try to) use binoculars with your phone, like I’ve done with this picture:

Another picture without binoculars but with the digital zoom was like this:

This is why I’ve chosen to buy the new modules: it was very tricky and I don’t carry binoculars with me very often!

2 Likes

That’s a good question. @formerFP.Com.Manager will the FP3 also use more recycled plastics and fair materials or will you continue to produce them as before?

2 Likes

My guess would be, that the FP3 is a kind of “sale” product.
They have a certain amount of stock and keep selling this. This would go for the old modules as well (though they can be offering refurbished ones pretty soon).
Since they do not announce it “as long as stock lasts”, they most likely have stocked phones for a few months (?) to come; especially since sales numbers for the FP3 will decrease on behalf of the FP3+.
I can’t imagine Fairphone having two different production lines, since this would most likely raise the costs for both phones.
And - even more important maybe - continuing to produce phones that are less sustainable than possible, would be another contradiction to the core-ethics I would attribute to Fairphone.

11 Likes

The plastic is mainly external. In fact, the great improvement on the proportion of recycled plastic used comes from the new back of the phone. It always was tricky to add more recycled plastic in the transparent one of the FP3 :wink:

4 Likes

The complete shell of the FP3+ seems to contain more recycable plastic. It’s the reason why the whole (!) phone is black now with now more translucent parts.

2 Likes

Over here Paule found a GCam port for the Samsung Galaxy S10 lite which seems to use the same sensor. So, I guess there’s hope…

5 Likes

Told you so, it’s not been long :wink:

Shall we expect some improvements of the current FP3 photo performances , with the original cameras in combination with the upcoming Android 10 Update?

1 Like