Poll for FP3 owners: camera upgrade or not?

• I’m going to buy the new high Mpx modules
  • I’m going to stick with my perfectly functioning camera modules
  • I’ll just take the back camera module for its amazing 48Mpx
  • I’ll just take the front camera module to have the same amount of 12Mpx on both sides
  • Undecided

0 voters

EDIT: sorry I reinitialized it to show who voted what and remove multiple vote options possibility.
EDIT2: The new front camera module is 16Mpx, not 12, my mistake, so you’d have a better resolution in the front than in the back, wondering why none chooses it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Basically only cared about the back camera module. But the package deal is tempting. What to do what to do…

3 Likes

I just bought my fp3 and have not a big interest in cameras.
Basically I’m going to wait and wait and maybe in a couple of years I’ll upgrade.

2 Likes

Still waiting for official LOS…

2 Likes

Yep, I was also only interested on teh back camera, but the package seems reasonable. Using Gcam at the moment and the results can be good, just a little slow sometimes. At least we can always swap them back over…

2 Likes

I ordered the back camera module today. I did not recognize that there is a new front module. :sweat_smile: At the moment it is fine. I will update the front modul later this year.

1 Like

@Antoine I’d be glad to have the results of the poll without having to vote. I don’t own an FP3 myself, though I am interested in the results. Could you perhaps change this?

2 Likes

Ordered mine already - and there is a 25 EUR bundle discount for that.

1 Like

Vote you’re undecided then. I didn’t want people to be influenced by the results before voting… And changing this might - again - reinitialize the whole poll…

1 Like

did anyone understand what are the actual benefits of updating the camera? I just saw a couple of pictures that obviously looks good because it’s for marketing, but I would like to see an independent review. Do you know if the same camera is on any other phone?

At least the picture’s resolution will be much better and zooming with a decent resolution will be possible.
They also mentioned the camera would take pictures instantly, unlike now with the (already) “old” modules.

1 Like

I think they called it “No shutter delay”.

1 Like

yes but megapixel are not all. After a certain amount of megapixel, adding them doesn’t improve quality that much… I’m interested in how it handles light exposure, how it works in low light conditions and how it works when you have half of the pic with low light and the other half with very bright light… I thinks these aspect are way more important than the mega pixels…

6 Likes

Currently, despite a good quality sensor, the quality (especially contrast and flash problems) with the native Google Camera app is not the best. It’s improved with the Open Camera app and Google Pixel ports but it’s not flawless and crashes often with the last one, despite best quality pictures, especially in the dark and a functioning flash. I think they’ll really have optimized it for this new camera. Obviously they’ll be comparisons tests and a lot of articles in the press about it, so they can’t have ignored this.

very interesting. So the camera was the same of pixel 3a… I missed that. But with the new camera things are different… Should the port saw in your link still work with the new module?

I don’t think so, as the port was specifically designed for this camera sensor. I think Fairphone realized that a good camera sensor is not enough to make a good smartphone camera. So that’s why they optimized the software for the one to come, according to what they say.

I have to say the ‘perfectly functioning’ kind of makes me feel guilty for considering to buy the new modules.

3 Likes

Same for me, but I already ordered the new ones because of the fact they’ll reuse them and thanks to the discount offer. I’ve had several times when I wanted to be able to zoom with a better quality image, and to take pictures instantly, not 2 seconds later…

3 Likes

I think I’ll await your review before ordering mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

When comparing the tech-specs, the new camera module comes with a 13% larger sensor as well (1/2.25" instead of 1/2.55" for the old one; i.e. 1.13 cm versus 1.00 cm).
Given the amount of pixels, this was inevitable.

@Antoine
Your poll is not exactly correct (point 4), since the new front module comes with 16MP and therefore even with a higher resolution than the current back module at 12MP :wink:

I myself use my camera for taking pictures; therefore I don’t really care for camera modules for a phone. I even would buy a phone without a camera. (Of course there wouldn’t be too many buyers beside me. :wink: )

That’s, why this kind of marketing always comes at a price. It gives a good feeling and enables oneself to justify a decision that is still producing/increasing waste.
In cases like this it always helps to ask oneself “Do I need it or would it just be nice to have?

Just my personal opinion of course.

7 Likes