Play Pokemon go

Thank you for that question, I now saw your post about changing version and it worked! :smiley:

Odd that fdroid said there were no updates.

“In the list of versions in the client, the recommended version is identified by a ‘*’. This is the version which is closest to the current version – the version that the developers of the application publish to Google Play or their website, or tag in their source code repository. There may be newer versions than this in the list – they could be, for example, test or beta versions. You can install these, but update notifications are not shown because the Version Code (Android’s scheme for version numbering) is greater than the Current Version Code.”

In short: you have to trust the developer if you install a binary build :wink:

1 Like

I can confirm this! :wink:

1 Like

since i updated to the alpha macadamia version and downloaded a usable version of the google installer i managed to play pokemon without any serious problems on FP1. works since 27th of july.

Other FP2 issues I have noticed while playing Pokémon GO.

-GPS seems to be temperamental not function on occasion (could be game related).
-When location is switched off with top dragdown quick buttons the icon indicating location still appears on the top bar of phone.
-Power saving mode cannot be switched on while charging.
-GPS gives a wider range than other players (Advantageous in the game but I’m not sure why this happens).
-When using two SIMS only one can be 3G/4G enabled and to change this you have to put both SIMs on 2G only then put one up to 3G/4G why not allow putting on up to automatically put the other down with a little message?
-Dual SIMs seem to interfere with each others internet access.
-When you have an new answer phone message alert on a secondary SIM it causes the phone to vibrate constantly to alert you (Could be provider related as I had no credit to listen to the message).

Anybody else encountered similar problems/bugs related to the game? How do I report these to FP?

1 Like

I have already created a feature request for that. Support it by hitting the :heart: button there.

1 Like

Hi,
I have forked Needle, it is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3438764
It should be easier to use than Xposed and Needle itself.

Can someone please test and say if it is working correctly on your phones?

1 Like

Hello !
I followed the instructions of this post and managed to install Pokémon Go on the FP2 Open OS :slight_smile:
I had also to select manually the latest microg binary version otherwise F-droid was installing a non-compatible version…

Now my next step is to test others NlpBackend, because I’m not satisfied of the Firefox one, it takes long and is not accurate enough inside my building… I’ll try GSMLocationNlpBackend as suggested by @parameterz3p0

A missing feature in the game is that with this OpenOS solution, no map is displayed inside the game. I see the pokestops and arena of the neighborhood, but without the streets it is hard to identify their localisation… Of course this is because Pokémon Go needs to import the map from Google Maps. Do you have a workaround ? (An utopic one would be to force OsmAnd~ instead, but I doubt this is easily feasible :wink: )

Thanks !
Olivier

Did you try to restart the game?

I didn’t ! Just now I started the game and the map is displayed :smiley: . Thank you !

2 Likes

I’m on the brim of a nervous breakdown so please be patient with me.:dizzy_face:

Hi guys,

I’m a proud owner of a brandnew Fairphone with Open OS and desperately trying to get Pokemon Go to work. I don’t know anything about Android, I’m no programmer, developer, hacker (neither with or without a black hoodie) or technical genius of some sort. I just happen to own a smart phone which I want to be google-free.

I read every post of this thread carefully, but only understood half of it to be honest. I followed this instructions http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67798855&postcount=1507, did a self-check, but signature spoofs, PlayServices (Gms Core) and PlayStore (Phonesky) weren’t checked.

The Needle thing was too much for me, so I tried installing the XPosed framework that is obviously needed for the spoof thing. I downloaded the XPosed downloader from f-droid, but when I click the latest entry (xposed-v86-sdk22-arm.zip), nothing happens. Then I downloaded the installer directly, did not let the grim warnings take the best of me and pressed Install, but to no avail. I was told that the library libdvm.so was not found. Nothing else happened.

When I try to start PG it says “No GPS signal” and refuses to let me log-in.

I’m about to throw a tantrum, because I seem to be the only one who doesn’t get this. [insert nervous eye tick here]
Can you pleasehelp me? In a way somebody who is not a Android programmer can understand? That would be AWE-SOME! :rolling_eyes:

PS: Yesterday, I tried this: http://android.stackexchange.com/a/149538 and was able to log-in at least, but the game showed no map, just my avatar and a green background. It said “No GPS signal” as well.

The file should download in the background (without any obvious popup). If you slide down from top down to see your notifications and there is one that says “download successful” then you can go on by booting to recovery (three dots menu in the xposed downloader.) If the file really doesn’t load you’ll have to download it manually from here: http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk22/arm/

Once xposed is installed through recovery the xposed installer should work and then you can go on with the rest of the step by step guide.

Hm, yes, I can’t download it. It seems I’ve downloaded it with the downloader, but must have deleted it, since I can’t find it in the Downloads folder and now I can’t download it once again (I even rebooted the phone to download it, but nothing). When I click on the 3 dots and say boot to recovery the phone warns me that the downloader wants superuser rights. I was a bit worried by that. Is it okay to click Yes?

When I download the zip file from your recommended website I can open it either with updater or with amaze and don’t know which one to choose.

Just an update here, after more weeks of usage and the next Niantic update that blocks rooted phones:

• The heat does not seem to be the only factor: I played a lot during summer, sometimes it holds for > 40 minutes with a very hot back, sometimes it breaks in the morning (cold phone) after 30 seconds.
  • I was considering the GPS spoofing and stuff, but since I can’t do it without rooting the phone, it’s no longer a solution for Pokemon Go. Anyone can think of another way to fix this ?
  • The screen thing is fixed: I got a new one from support (Thanks to the team for the super fast reactivity and replacement!)

Yes you need superuser rights to go to recovery mode via the app, but you can also just turn of the phone and hold power + volume up to get there.

I believe it’s stored in the general storage folder.

You’ll have to install it via recovery mode anyway.

It still works fine for me on rooted Open OS or are you saying the next update will put an end to this? We could try Rootcloak then.

1 Like

Some minutes ago i could download the new update of Pokemon Go (0.37). I never thought about it but i got ‘banned’ and cannot login anymore. Actually i never thought this could happen since i ‘only’ installed an alpha version of an official Android OS.

I am quite pissed now… -.-

Apparently, it is at least possible to receive an easy refund for money spent on in-app purchases. According to this German comment, one has to go to the ‘Help & Feedback’ option in Google’s Play Store App and request a call to ask for a refund. Might be useful for rooted FP owners…

3 Likes

Is it possible to play Pokemon Go 0.37 with the root access deactivated in the Developer options?

When I look at this link, the complex maneuver to escape the in-app root detection is to install “Magisk” that add a “Root Toggle ON/OFF” button, so I wonder if this is similar to the option natively present in FP2 Open OS…

I’m really afraid when I read that NeoXtrim was banned (not only blocked), this is against my expectations as rooting doesn’t systematically imply cheating !!!
Knowing from this unfortunate experience, when I’ll do some testing I’ll do it with a fresh new pokemon go account, so I don’t take the same risk…

By the way, the old version I use (0.35) is still working, but doesn’t include the new “buddy” feature…

I should clearify this. I didn’t get banned like for cheating, but i get the message “Dieses Gerät, Betriebssystem oder diese Software ist nicht mit Pokémon GO kompatibel.” So how you called it i got ‘blocked’, not banned. Sorry for my confusing words.

The 0.35 should work only for some days or weeks i think. That is what has been discussed over at reddit at least.

1 Like

Bonjour à tous !
Qui a un FP2 avec open OS 16.06.0 (donc rooté) et installé la derniere version de pokemon go (0.37) ?
Est ce que ca marche ?
Car j’ai lu sur le net que la dernière version bloquait la connexion au jeu si le téléphone était rooté.
Merci d’avance !

(sorry, I am not english so I try to translate)
Hi,
Who has a FP2 with open OS 16.06.0 (rooted) and installed the last version of pokemon go (0.37) ?
Does it work ?
Because I have read on the net that the last version will blocked the game on rooted phone.
Thx