Parts of the touchscreen don't work - See first post for troubleshooting

Keep it going!
It’s festive season, parcel services are working overtime and I would guess parcels even get misplaced and delayed more easily.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

I just got a replacement Display (14.12.2017), the shipping notification came just 90mins before delivery, I don’t have my FP2 at the office right now, so I can’t test the display at the moment.

I had the same problem, 8 mm on the left side of the screen didn’t respond. Submitted a support request on 2017-11-16, got a response within two business days with instructions to create a return request. In the meantime, I figured it would be best to order a new module and ask Fairphone to reimburse that one, instead of being without a working phone for an uncertain amount of time. So, I ordered a new module on 2017-11-23, and asked if reimbursement of the new module (depending on the assessment of the old one) was possible. Again, I received a response within two business days that it was unusual, but they would accommodate it. Next, my new module arrived 2017-11-27 (within three (!) business days after the order, pretty quick) and after a quick swap I had a well-working display again! :smiley: So far, so good.

The return process was a bit less smooth, my first selection for pick-up by DHL didn’t work, no courier showed up, and I could not pick a new date in the portal. So, I called DHL to make a new appointment, they told me no pick-up was ever scheduled and referred me back to Fairphone to get their accountnumber first. So, I called Fairphone support. The support person understood the problem and gave me an accountnumber to give to DHL to schedule a new pick-up. So, I called DHL again and they were able to reschedule the pick-up for the same day, and this time the courier showed up. The return was delivered at Fairphone the next day. I allowed some time for the assessment, but after a week I send a message asking for an update. Within a day, I received a response that I should receive the reimbursement within five working days. It was already transferred the next day, eight working days after sending in the old display module.
Overall, I’m very happy with Fairphone support (thanks guys!), although the return portal feels a bit shaky and could use improvement. Keep in mind that I’m located in The Netherlands, which probably helps with shipping speed.

So, I would recommend the following approach:

1. Make sure it’s the hardware by trying the troubleshooting steps above.
  2. Create a return ticket as recommended above (with order nr, IMEI, screenshot, subject, etc)
  3. (optional) Order a new display module
    I know, this is a bit of a gamble. You might not get a refund, but a repaired screen instead (according to the Fairphone warranty). However, I reasoned I could always sell the new screen to another user or keep it as a spare. But it definitely shortens the time you are without a working phone.
  4. Return the broken module.
    If the return portal doesn’t work, call (or write) Fairphone to get their DHL account number, then DHL to schedule the pick-up.
  5. Wait for the assessment response, write/call if it takes longer then a week.
1 Like

What should LOS users do in that case? Are there any apps you can do the same with?
Or could the maintenance and checkup tool be integrated into the Lineage OS?

Basically and (children’s) drawing app should be able to do the same.

Well the proximity sensor recalibration tool already got ported, so I guess people are working on it, but probably the other tools are harder to port.

I did exactly that, talked with their support first to make sure it’s OK and ordered a new display module, which came really quickly. After confirming the new display module fixed the issue, I started the return process for the old display module. All good from Fairphone’s side and there was not a second I had to be without my FP2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

After 2 years service, my FP2 is not completly dead, but a big area of the touchscreen in not “touchable” any more. The backcover is broken (for the 2 time) and the top module (with the headphone jack) is also broken (for the 2 time).
No answer from fairphone since 10 days…

Ethical perhaps but reliable, certainly not !!!

You can get faster results by calling, see contactsupport .

1 Like

Did they refund you the costs for ordering the replacement display module (module+shipping costs)?

@Niekess: Did this trick help you in the long run? Or was it just for a short time till the problem appeared again?

@WiKo: Did this trick help you in the long run? Or was it just for a short time till the problem appeared again?

And does anyone know if they really improved the display so the problem will never return even if there will be some pressure on the phone or some moisture while going in the rain or something like this (in normal use)?

@fp2dd: Short time solution. The screen on my phone got overtime worse to a point the trick isn’t working anymore. I’ve got a support ticket running right now.

Thanks. I did as well and they want me to return the old display first. I don’t want to be without the phone for two weeks so I hope they agree in sending the replacement first (I can advance the costs in the first place) and that they refund after confirming it’s the (obviously) known producers fault so many users suffered by already.

@fp2dd My trick is no long-term solution. Once fixed by correctly applying pressure, one wrong touch on the edge of the case could throw it back to the broken state.

Meanwhile I bought a used phone (non-fairphone), which is my way of staying as sustainable as possible.
Until now I have no experience with the new batch of displays, though I should let mine replaced…

Yeah, the cost of the display module was refunded. The shipping was not,
but that is because I also ordered a battery and slim case. Normally they
would refund it I think.

Had the same problem as well. Screen not working on a horizontal line. Went through the troubleshooter, then received a new screen on warrenty after sending the screen back to Fairphone. Excellent support reactivity.

I also received excellent support on this. After asking for it, they also sent me the new display module first (I had to advance the 87 €, which were refunded later).

I now have exactly that problem and can prove it with a screenshot from the drawing test app. However, I bought my fairphone more than two years ago (and got a full replacement 1.5 years ago because of a broken USB port…), so technically it is outside warranty. Will they still replace/refund a new display module, even though the phone is outside warranty? Any experience on this? Thank you!

I too have this porblem, withtin two weeks both sides if the screen have been troubling. I’ve tried cleaning the pins/nib/(stift in swedish), without luck however, it feels like the problem is “physical” ie that the parts of the phone are not enough caulked or sealed… ie there is air btween the sensors. Any idea of what to do?

fairphone-screen-problem-june-2018_preview

As you can see from the attached image, my FP2 seems to have a damaged display on the RHS.

It has manifested itself in me not being able to press some on-screen buttons on the RHS of the screen. Using the Settings/Maintenance/Checkup/Drawing option I tried to draw diagonal lines, but from the image attached, you can see there is a band on the RHS of the screen where the screen is not working properly (it seems to skip to the RHS horizontally as you approach the edge).

I am assuming that this a new display screen will fix this ? I have ordered a new screen anyway as the phone is hard to use as it is. Would be interested in whether anyone thinks differently ?