Official LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Thank you very much, dk1978, for your work on LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/3+! It may mean that I can start with that version. I considered /e/, but I am not so sure about it.

I just received my new Fairphone 3+ today and I am not intending to take it online with the factory OS + Google Play Services. However even though I am tempted I may wait till some image to download and flash is available. I never build an LineageOS image myself, still using latest of Fairphone OpenOS on the Fairphone 2 that I flashed using TWRP back then.

However, if there is a good step by step guide for building it myself somewhere, I might do it. I have Debian Sid on my laptop. I bet that I could use that for building it. On the other hand if you are just shortly away from putting some directly flashable image somewhere, I’d rather choose to be lazy and wait. :slight_smile:

You have to at least boot the normal system once to enable the developer options and then allow the OEM unlocking. But you can skip most of the setup wizard. IIRC to allow the OEM unlock you need to enter a code that has to be verified online.

2 Likes

I booted it - minimal offline setup. But without SIM card. Otherwise I hope it won’t connect to a WLAN unless I set one up. My own WLAN is switched off currently anyway and I bet other WLANs around here have passwords as well.

I am researching around and I likely need a bit of time to answer the following questions:

1. MicroG or not? I do not use Google Play Services on the Fairphone 2. OSMAnd take a bit of time to find location, but it usually works anyway.

2. Root the device or not. I rooted the Fairphone 2. However I understand that I cannot have the bootloader locked when doing so. I am not sure how much that matters when I choose to encrypt the device. Fairphone OpenOS on Fairphone 2 I believe uses dm-crypt based full disk encryption. Not fure about LineageOS 17.1 – does it use Ext4 or F2FS with fscrypt? On the other hand I never used the rooting for anything serious, so I may not even need it.

Anyway, I both questions are not related to LineageOS on FP 3/3+, so I probably better look for other threads to ask them or find replies if already available.

Yes, the standard nowadays is file-based encryption. It is done automatically without user intervention.

Ha! That link requires swallowing Goggle’s cookies which are not part of my diet.

Cookies can be removed, which is easy using browser commodities. JavaScript executed in your machine and info retrieved by Google is another story. In any case, it is not my intention to go offtopic.

3 Likes

Can I relock the bootloader after installing TWRP and this ROM?

I’ll most probably give it a try tomorrow. Now on official LOS16, and standard model 3

Ok, no way for dirty install and keep data. In the end, I had to factory reset and reinstall.
Just now restoring data, will continue here

1. in the “new setup” it did not proceed after entering wlan password. Going back and forward accepted the wlan parameters and continued
    Not all backed up apps could use the backup, but it worked fairly good. Of course, if you want to keep your corona trackings, that’s not the moment to try to update

2. LED handling hasn’t changed? Still, I can hit + and select an application, but then nothing happens

I also installed your 17.1 alpha build on FP3+ coming from latest strock rom.
Thank you very much for the effort!
Installation was quite straight forward. However I had to install the image with TWRP. The LOS recovery refused to install the image because of the timestamp of the image is older than the officially installed stock OS.
The image looks and works very good. Like Catalin I haven’t experienced any strange bugs so far.
Camera (max.12MP) and speakers are working. I haven’t tested with sim card yet.

3 Likes

LED handling has changed, I included a patch by csaba215 that now allows all LED colors. What exactly are you trying to do? I installed a small app “LED Color Tester” to test all colors and confirmed that you can now see any desired RGB mix.

1 Like

I built 17.1 from your sources, and it seems to work well!

Sadly it indeed did involve a data reset.

One other thing I noticed is that the USB Preferences menu is greyed out - with no changes possible. I still managed to get into File transfer mode by setting that as the default in Developer options, but this does not seem to be normal. Are others experiencing this as well?

Hmm, i tried one such app, and i only get blue
 I know i can get all colors, as i have a task for tasker. There i can work with colors. But not in notifications

I do not use custom notification light colours, but I just tried to reproduce this. From the menu ‘Notification light’, I can disable ‘Choose colours automatically’, and then ‘+’ to add an application. At that point the new app is indeed not configurable. If then I also enable ‘Use custom values’ in the advanced menu, I am able to configure a custom notification colour for that application. Is that what you need?

Strange. I can’t disable “choose colors automatically”. And i can’t find an advanced menu here. Might this be caused by a settings restore?

edit: did a factory reset and made the settings by hand. still, only blinking blue

guess I’m going to accept this for now :wink:

Hello,

I updated my daughter’s brand new FP3+ to your alpha image yesterday. Everything went well, and up until now everything seems to work as expected: sound, camera, wifi, it connects to the network and can send/receive calls and sms,

I unlocked the bootloader, fastbooted to twrp, wiped the phone, sideloaded your alpha image, rebooted to recovery (LOS at this point), sideloaded opengapps, and rebooted to LOS. It required a factory reset once during the first boot because a partition was corrupt, but then it booted LOS and everything went smoothly.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you want us to test anything, that’s the least we can do to repay all the work that you put in such a great project.

Very big thanks,

RĂ©mi

4 Likes

Can I help testing things for FP3+?
If you have a testbuild, github or similar I can try.
Thanks for the effort!

Hi Nessuno and welcome to the forum.
Further up in the thread you will find some links including the alpha build you can try:

OK I get it soon.
Maybe test the cam on my new FP3+ :slight_smile:
Danke!

I am experiencing strange brightness issues from today. Brightness level changes unexpectedly. The only change I did to the system was to install some applications such as TrebleShot, Sky Map and OsmAnd~.