Official LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Are you sure adaptive brightness isn’t enabled? You should have an icon for this next to the brightness slider.

4 Likes

Oh, you correctly guessed. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can confirm this. USB Preferences are greyed out here as well.

I don’t have mobile data since I moved to LOS. I have no idea why. Should I blame LOS or my mobile network provider?

Did you check your APN settings?

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum!
please open an issue on the official LineageOS bugtracker. I will need to know what system you were using before, when you last updated the official Fairphone OS (including modem partitions etc), and definitely a logcat dump.

Hi @dk1978, I’ve been using your developer build on my fairphone 3+ for a couple of days now, and it seems to work really well: camera is fine, no show-stopping bugs.

I installed using a temporary boot of TWRP, and then also added gapps nano and magisk for Aurora Store services.

Only complaints I have are that it’s a bit slower than I would have expected: menus and scrolling are often quite laggy, and firefox is really quite slow. I came to FP3+ from a 2014 oneplus 1 that was also running lineageOS 17.1, and I would have expected the performance to be about the same. Is it possible there’s still some performance improvement I can get out of the phone? Or will future versions of LineageOS be able to improve performance at all?

Anyway, thanks so much for the work you’re doing. Do you have a ko-fi or something so I can send you something?

4 Likes

First time I heard of that service. Donations are welcome. :grinning:
About the performance - did you come from the stock Fairphone OS? I haven’t observed noticeable amounts of lag, but I don’t have much of a basis for comparison. Maybe others can comment. I would also check the logs (adb logcat -d) and see if some services are hogging resources for some reason.
5 Likes

Hello dk1978, hey forum,
Thanks for the welcome! I find this forum very helpful and read a lot in my spare time. My FP3+ is quite new and I want to ditch google as soon as possible.
With a little more time I want to compile lineage from sources, but right now I grabbed the UNOFFICIAL OTA zip from above and wanted to sideload it for testing.
After “adb sideload lineage-17.1-20201211-UNOFFICIAL-FP3.zip” it says
“E: Signature verification failed
E: error: 21
Install from ADB complete (status: 2).”
and when I reboot I have the google android 10 again.
The other options (“install from adb / SD”) also fail.
What did I wrong? Do I need TRWP or something?
Thanks and have a cool christmas time!

Next step: I tried with temporary lineage recovery… this gave another error about some timestamp which are not correct and it aborted. Do I need a newer OTA zip?

I had the same issue. I temporarily booted twrp and installed it from there. This worked fine for me.

Thanks for confirming. I looked a bit further, and found that this /e/ patch fixes the issue.

@dk1978 - can you apply that patch to the LOS code?

1 Like

Did you try to sideload the zip with the stock recovery the first time ? For security reasons stock recovery will refuse to handle update files not related to the actual installed ROM.

In order to sideload an alternative update file, you’ll need to boot into the TWRP recovery image : fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-0-FP3.img. And be sure to use the latest TWRP recovery image.

1 Like

Thank you, r.m & lost_geographer!
Yesterday I managed to load the OTA alpha zip from dk and it works!
With my quite new device I had to use the original fairphone website to get the code for unlocking. Sadly the perl script did not work.
After that I hat to install TWRP and with that the “adb sideload …” worked.
Until now everything workes but I did not check thoroughly. Are the results of “first experiences” collected somewhere?
Thank you for the chance to be more independently now, not being forced to use obscure ‘clouds’ from alphabet group.
Next step will be to compile 17.1 for the FP3+ and change / debug something as soon as I find out the best way to do this.
Thanks also to dk for the work!

Just another tip : did you really install TWRP ? It is not recommended to install the TWRP recovery image : just boot into it. If you alter the recovery partition, the ROM integrity checks at boot will fail (but it won’t prevent you to boot the phone) and you won’t be able to relock the bootloader (witch could be useful in some cases, especially with non-rooted ROMs).

It suddenly works. Played around with settings. Don’t know if that did the trick, but I can hardly blame LOS. Thanks for your efforts!

1 Like

@dk1978: Confirm the new FP3+ camera modules are working with this 17.1 alpha.

1 Like

Yes, I just tested that. The funny thing is that this USB HAL does not even bother to query the kernel but just dictates USB port settings. I expect we will need to revisit this when people try hooking up USB printers or other gadgets to their phone.
Anyhow, file transfer and other modes are no longer greyed out and work. :+1:
Will merge this soon.

5 Likes

Is a release date already planned of the 17.1 for the fairphone ?

I could cite LineageOS rules at you - never ask for an ETA. :laughing:

Fact is: we are busy transitioning to 18.1 so it might take a few more days for FP3 17.1 to appear on the servers.

13 Likes