Noisy coloured pixels on my Fairphone 2

Hi,

I hope its ok to post here.
I am having issues including noisy coloured pixels, black- and whitescreens, whole display scrolling etc, but I can solve them by massaging the phone for a while.
Now as I dont want to bake my phone ^^, Id like to ask what other solutions you have found for this. Ive already found putting stuff into the phone to close a gap between the connectors, but no case where that worked long term. Is that worth trying?
Cleaning the connectors is recommended as well. I tried wiping them with a dry cloth (used for cleaning eyeglasses), but that didnt do anything. Now Im wondering if I should try with alcohol, but I read differing opinions on that, what do you think?
Also I noticed that there are little black points (scratches?) on the golden plates, is that normal and are those the problem?

Additional details

If that helps you, Im running LOS 17.1, its not a software issue (I cannot screenshoot the noisy pixels etc) and Im having other bugs including broken mic, sometimes reboots and touchscreen not reacting and my battery is really bad

Thanks in advance for helping!

No they are not the problem. I think gold forms those pits because it is softer than the underlying metal. This is most likely a core module problem, as that was the case with most people in this topic. Although it may be worth trying another screen if you havenā€™t done that yet (check whether there are any #fairphoneangels near you if you donā€™t know anyone with another FP2.)

5 Likes

I would recommend cleaning with cleaning alcohol, I donā€™t think it could bring any problem if you do it carefully. Some recommend cleaning with compressed air as well.

Though I agree with @AlbertJP, itā€™s very probable the problem comes from the core-module (or hopefully itā€™s only the screen :crossed_fingers:)

3 Likes

Actually it may be different for you. But my experience is that if the problem solves on some pressure exactly where the contacts (youā€™d taken the photo of) are, then itā€™s more a contact problem and cleaning them or putting stuff behind the contacts (I assume you mean according to this post) shown on your photo on the left may help.
If by ā€œmassagingā€ you put pressure on other parts and this helps it will probably be a problem with the core module.

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe this worked. I have paper wedging my SIM card in place, paper pushing the connection for my screen in placeā€¦ How about we cut out all the plastic etc and develop an origami Fairphone? Hemp paper of courseā€¦

4 Likes

Hi,

I had this snowy/unresponsive screen issue too.
I was a bit hesitant to use my home oven (itā€™s really not recommended to use the oven for food after using it to bake electronics).
And I happen to know the owner of an electronics assembly company.
So I asked him if I could place my main board in their SMD oven, and he was fine with it (as long as I took the responsibility for a broken board af course ;-)).

After cooling down the phone booted, but it was extremely slow (like indicated by aborland).
Luckily this improved over time, and after one day itā€™s almost back to normal.
Only apps I open for the first time after baking it are slow.
So probably all cache was cleared during baking (or because of the fact it has the battery disconnected for almost a full day).

And until now the phone did not show the issue anymore.
So hopefully I can use the phone now for an even longer time (I got one of the first Fairphone 2ā€™s so itā€™s 5 years old already, and still going strong (running lineageOS 17)

Thanks all for pointing me to this solution!

Jan Pieter

5 Likes

Thanks Jan for posting your story, very encouraging. Please update us if the issue returns.

I have been trying to find somewhere in London that might have a professional reflow oven to try and correct my faulty core module.

Do you happen to know what temperature(s) the SMD oven you used and for how long?

Hi RJF,

I still havenā€™t seen the issue again.
So I think itā€™s safe to say that resoldering fixed the issue.
Yesterday I also replaced the screen and bottom module, because they had some issues too.
Now my phone is like new :grinning:

I donā€™t have the profile, they just used their normal profile they always use (for lead free).
Also note that it was a Vapor Phase oven, not a reflow oven.
Not that it would matter that much, but just to be clear.
If you want I can ask them the profile they used.

Jan Pieter de Ruiter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.