New ACER Aspire Vero 'Green' Laptop

Although I have just bought a Framework laptop, one of my daughters has sent me this link. I’ve only had a quick look and am not relatively impressed, but will look at the specs, price and repairability in more detail.

2 Likes

Interesting…

1 Like

And a very interesting price here in Germany

https://store.acer.com/de-de/acer-aspire-vero-notebook-av15-51-grau-nx-aycev-004?internal_source=serp&internal_medium=cta&internal_campaign=AcerBoost_Search&internal_content=NX.AYCEV.004

2 Likes

Don’t you mean Acer instead of ASUS? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! thanks for that . . . have amended the title

:blush:

2 Likes

I recommend watching this review:

My thoughts:

• Instead of USB-C power delivery, it uses Acer’s proprietary barrel plug. This should be illegal. :smiley:
  • No Thunderbolt either.
  • The screen is a little dimm. And it is only 1080p, but this is subjective.
  • I’ve always liked the keyboards and trackpads that Acer uses, so I wouldn’t expect any problems here.
  • Speakers sound okay.
  • In terms of repairability, it looks fine overall, but with some exceptions.
    • 8GB of RAM is soldered directly to the board and you only have one SO-DIMM slot available.
    • Single M.2 slot.
    • The keyboard is non-replaceable.
    • Changing the battery is pretty easy.
    • The trackpad is also easily replaceable.
    • You can completely extract the motherboard.

I would definitely rather go for Framework.

5 Likes

13 inch is definitely to small for daily driver.
I prefer:

It’s a laptop marketed as “green” because it’s using a percentage of recycled plastics and is easy to open, same site in english.
The reviews weren’t that positive when it came out (here’s one from The Verge) and I tend to agree, feels more greenwashy than revolutionary:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it depend on various factors like bezel size? Also screen is 3:2 aka 18:12 or 12:8. Ie. less scrolling, less need for vertical tabs or dock/taskbar on left/right side.

1 Like

And wouldn’t it also depend on the purpose and location of use?
For my daily work in the morning/evening on public transport, compact is king.

2 Likes

Right
But my usecase is purely the desk

A desktop computer would handsomely win in modularity for that usecase. Though laptops are still more space efficient.

2 Likes

But not if the only desk is in the living room :wink:

You are right lets split it off :+1:

@AlphaElwedritsch Feel free to modify the title if you don’t like it

2 Likes

No, its ok

Interesting to discuss a laptop here and I would very much welcome a “Fairtop”.
I’m aware only of the discontinued SHIFT12m and the as well discontinued Libreboot X200, which wasn’t so much fair as in fairtrade but refurbished and free from for example the Intel Management Engine.

Is anyone aware of a fair laptop?

Myself I am using a 10-year old Lenovo ThinkPad, it is still fully usable and performant enough even by current standards, because it could be easily upgraded and repaired. Batteries are still available, I could replace the broken keyboard and install a 1 TB SSD. And even though the Laptop only supports 8 GB RAM by its specs, it was possible to upgrade to 16 GB.
If I’d buy a new laptop for 1000 €, it wouldn’t offer me any benefits besides a better screen (I’m using an external screen most of the time anyway) and certainly better overall performance and battery lifetime, while I would probably not even notice that in regular everyday use.
The laptop is running a recent Debian Linux with full hardware support.

I think I can still use it for many years… there’s really no point in buying a new one. Besides that some people would stop making fun of me or even pity me for using such an old laptop…

Hasn’t this already been discussed?

1 Like

Ah! The Framework is worth noting: https://frame.work

1 Like

Shift is still working on other devices than phones like the Shiftmi (already in the beta test Phase) and Shiftmu. They also recently stated in a webinar from WeTell with Shift, Fairphone and Rephone that they are in contact with Framework

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.