FrameWork laptop launch - repairable, upgradable - New stuff for 2023 too

The idea of modular engineering is spreading.
We are note alone (anymore)

Introducing the Framework Laptop.

Upgradeable, repairable, and 100% yours.

The time has come for consumer electronics products that are designed to last, without sacrificing performance, quality, or style.

Shipping summer 2021.

13 Likes

I’ll include a clickable link :wink:

IIRC their homepage didn’t exist yet when there was an article about them at engadget a couple of weeks ago

6 Likes

Looks like the next decent item on my shopping list :hugs:

3 Likes

Darn, I recently already bought a new laptop :-(.

Hi @Jo8ost

We are not going to change the world for the better despite the Fairphone aim, this isn’t a place of the future where things are polarised between good and bad. I imagine you wouldn’t be here if your heart wasn’t in the right place so you have a few of morality.

Consumer ethics are meant to be temporal fun so best enjoy what you have bought. And talking of fun you know first generation devices can be a pain in the arse ~ and I don’t want to be masochistic. :frowning:

Nice to have heard from you.

All the best

Hi there, seems that not only phones can become modular but also laptops: https://frame.work/

Interesting concept for the community here I think…

1 Like

I moved your post here.

2 Likes

Have to say it’s really heartwarming to see how much positive attention the new upgradable Framework laptop is getting. Proofing again their is a real market for this.

For example the Linus Tech Tips video generated so much interest it crashed the website. And not just to look at the website, but judging by the Youtube comments to actually buy it.

(yes I know Framework laptop doesn’t have all the same goals as Fairphone)

1 Like

Hi silentlennie and welcome to the community forum!
I’ve moved your post here so everything about the Framework laptop is in one place.

4 Likes

For those wanting to see this laptop, here’s aYouTube video of it from Linus Tech Tips.

2 Likes

Would be cool if they also started to fairly source their materials. Then I’d consider it in the long-term. I just bought an old laptop yesterday for 75€.

2 Likes

I’ve just posted the query on the Frame.work forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t want to post a link, because it makes my comment look spammy (just created a new account, posts comment with link).

PS I’ve been using my FP3 for years now and a satisfied customer too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hopefully they will make it available in the EU soon. My laptop is over 10 years old and is lagging af. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

It hasn’t been out for two years yet :grin:

Video of the hardware, disassembly by Louis Rosmann,
New York based Repair Shop Owner, Right to repair Fighter

Mild language warning, but he has calmed down a bit over the years.

2 Likes

It’s a shame that you have to buy a Framework laptop with Windows.
Why not deliver a laptop without an OS, so that I don’t have to pay for a Windows license which I never want to use.

Shops that sell laptop without an OS are very rare. Lucky there is such a shop in the Netherlands, but their laptop isn’t fair yet.

2 Likes

The Framework laptop comes alternatively clean to install your own OS etc

4 Likes

But still Windows is pre-installed, so you have to pay for the license. Pay for something you don’t need in my case. Without the license the laptop could be cheaper.