My FP2: 3 years and counting

Or just go to your profile > preferences and select the the badge under “title”:

4 Likes

Having had my phone since the kickstarter, the 3 year badge would be cool.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, I have mine since 15 June 2016, can you hand me the badge as well?

3 Likes

I received a FP2 from a friend, it was a gift.
I have never expected too much of anything, my personality is so.
But after 3 years of use, FP2 made me more satisfied than I could have imagined.
Glad to see positive comments on Facebook pages like FB2Mate or Techgara, especially on this forum.
The only problem is the battery of the machine, I still don’t have time to replace it.

4 Likes

Hello, my Fairphone 2 today celebrates its third birthday. And so I would like to apply for the three years badge.
I received my phone on 07/072016 only one week after I had ordered it (via a retailer), and, in fact, I was very lucky there, because back then you often had to wait many weeks before you could even order one due to short supplies…
It was my first smartphone and I have been really happy with it.
It started with FP OS 5, but I soon switched to FPOOS. Such a great feature, to be able to eliminate G%%xle (as much as reasonably possible) from my phone.
Meanwhile I have switched to Lineage with MicroG (I could not wait for Fairphone to release the Android 7 version of FPOOS…).
I had some minor problems during my frequent OS changes, but almost all of them could be solved with the kind (and patient) help of some members of this great forum. I have learned a lot of interesting and useful things in that process.
I had to send the phone in once when it didn‘t start any more, and then the core and bottom module were replaced on warranty (so strictly speaking maybe not all of my phone is three years old…). But apart from this, my FP2 has worked like a charm all the time.
I am on the third back cover (had two transparent ones, which have both cracked - but they were soooo cool…) and on the second battery.
So maybe my Fairphone is not all that sustainable in my case, after all. And I have had some problems with it, which for me were not really upsetting (I use my phone much more for tinkering with it than for e.g. social media – others might have been disappointed by the little problems I have had). I still love my FP2, I love the idea and the ideals of its makers and the way they try to make electronic products and their production a bit better.
I hope I will be able to apply for the four years and the five years badge for my FP 2 in due time…

9 Likes

Applying for the badge too! Bought one of the first batch during the kickstarting capaign, received in january 2016 and using happily since then! There have been some glitches and minor problems, but I would definitely buy it again, and I proudly show it around when someone notice it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi there,
me too, I also just wanted to let you know that my FP2 works very well since the beginning on January 17th in 2016! Never had to change any module, only the cover I changed two times due to the black rubber part coming loose.
Still on the first battery although it only lasts 0.5 to 1 day with normal use (especially when watching video or listening music via loudspeaker). But I think its not a problem of the battery (I measured the remaining capacity and it has still around the same mAh as an Iphone6) but more of the energy demand of the phone. But since there’s always a socket and a charger nearby, thats no Problem.
I switched from the original OS to FPOOS and its working good, though I had to do a lot of research and trial and error procedure to make the microG stuff working (localization, signature spoofing, fake store etc). Although for example localization is sometimes not working very well, I even enjoy that because that means that no App ever is able to track me then :slight_smile:
Only one single time I had to take the phone apart because the power button wasnt working anymore. A bit cleaning and reassembling did the trick.
I’m sorry for all the people having these major faults in their phones but I’m still wondering how many of these faulty phones are out there because I know 5 FP2 owners in my neighbourhood and none of them has these severe issues! I mean of course, there are some reboots once in a while or sudden battery percentage drops and other minor errors but thats nothing severe.

So in conclusion, I very happy with my FP still after 3.5 years and thats why I also want to apply for the badge.
Thank you!

8 Likes

:astonished:

Your neighbourhood doesn’t happen to be Jollemanhof, Amsterdam, does it? :wink:

4 Likes

Haha no, not at all but I convinced a few people to buy one and also I have some friends who are really committed to live an as sustainable lifestyle as possible :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh cool. I guess I am an early-enough adopter for a 3 year badge, also.

Shipdate 25/05/2016.

We have a love-hate relationship but it’s still my full-time phone. Some of the glitches are glitchy enough that they get in the way of having a seamless experience (random reboots, touchscreen frozen when charging, proximity sensor issues during phone calls, uncertainty about connecting to foreign networks).

4 Likes

You have probably heard these before, so this is just to make sure:

• “touchscreen frozen when charging” => might require better cable (existing one might have no or damaged grounding)
  • “proximity sensor issues” => Settings > Maintenance > Proximity sensor
3 Likes

Well my love for the fp has cooled down because of all the glitches
I’m still using it, but it can’t be trusted :frowning:

MeToo, MeToo :clap:

Delivered 25/01/2016.
I only had the camera focus and case issue. Otherwise it performs smooth.
Recently switched to Marshmallow and all went flawless. No glitches, crashes or troubles of any kind.
I was quite surprised about the extended battery life. I couldn’t believe it.
Also performance got better, scrolling and handling goes even more smooth.
A good condition and new fun to stick even longer with it. Great investment.

6 Likes

Thank you! I have found and used these tips. The more people who see these tips, the better.

For me, the situation improves but the problems are still there. And the rebooting :joy:

I am still the proud owner of a Samsung S3 that can serve as a backup in a pinch. And a 12-year-old Sony Ericsson, but I don’t think it’ll be going back on the network anytime soon.

There you go - I still say Sony knows how to built proper batteries which most often is a total killer on the long run.

1 Like

Like many others, I ordered the FP2 in July 2015 and received it about half a year later. It’s been a love-hate relationship ever since.
I bought a new screen (because of white spots and an unresponsive touchscreen while charging), a new case (because the original one fell apart), new camera and top modules (because of poor photo quality) and a new battery.

The fact that it comes without bloatware made me stay on the official Fairphone OS. And I need a reliable phone where everything just works. Well, it often didn’t. Countless hours were spent beta testing new firmware releases, analyzing and documenting bugs. I was close to just throwing it against the wall more than once. The fact that this never hapened speaks for itself. (And it probably would have survived that. Robustness really is one of its strong sides. No pun intended.)

To be completely honest, the FP2 experience made me lose trust in Fairphone as a company. I won’t buy a “FP3”. But if it should leave a significantly better impression than the previous models I might consider giving them another chance by getting a “FP4” (or “FP5”) at some point in the future. And I appreciate what they have undoubtedly achieved: Raising awareness for working conditions and sustainability in consumer electronics.

On a positive side, I still very much appreciate the Fairphone community. I’ve recently switched to LineageOS in a last effort before giving up on the phone. That made a big difference. Now I can see myself potentially using it for another year or two. A big thanks to everyone who brought LineageOS to the FP2!

And now… badge, pleeease! :wink:

3 Likes

Hi!
Got mine since the 31st of August 2016. I can now apply for the badge!
I am really happy with my FP2. I had never bought a smartphone before, but I had used at least 3 that I got for free from friends and family. The FP2 was much more stable!
I switched to Fairphone open OS already on the the first day and now use Lineage. Everything works fine.
For me, the FP2 is a real success: it shows that you can make a fairer phone and it works. The problems I read on the Forum are things that happen when you launch a phone (remember iPhone 4’s antennagate? Samsung’s battery gate? When people show me the problems they have with phones like Wiko, I feel quite happy with my FP2). But it shows that people care about how their phone is made and that some of them are willing to give more time and money for it to be a faire phone. Just like when I buy plastic free groceries, fair and organic: I have to go to special stores, to bring my own jars, it takes more time.
I really hope that other manufacturers will follow in Fairphone’s footsteps and that people will be able to buy fairer iPhones or Samsungs, but as for myself I will rather keep on following Fairphone as long as they try to make the phone industry better.

5 Likes

In more than 3 years of of heavy use it’s been only once that my FP2 has excluded me from using information services (local digital library) because of its outdated OS. And it’s been only during the last days of the three year period…

It has proven practicability, usability and durability. Sometimes there have been a few reboots (nothing unusual with dual SIM devices - insiders told me). Dismantling and reassembling always fixed them. I am really glad to be capable of helping myself in such situations.

I do not have to think a lot about my phone. It just works. This is the most convincing USP I can imagine (despite the fact that you keep in touch with the greening of Western economies).

That is what I would like to testify also via the famous badge! Thanks!

3 Likes

Here another one that is going strong for three years now.
Most of it is still original, except for the back cover, a voluntary back camera upgrade and swapping the battery around.

3 Likes