My FP2: 3 years and counting

Das heißt, die Möglichkeit, eine SIM-Karte deaktivieren zu können, ist für dich essentiell?

1 Like

Dual-Sim war einer der Gründe für meine Kaufentscheidung und ich habe diese Grundfunktion regelmäßig genutzt (nur 1 Geräte am Woch oder im Urlaub dabei und die Arbeits-Sim nur zu gewissen Zeiten aktiviert).
Wenn man Dual-Sim vermarktet, dann ist de/aktivieren essentiell.

3 Likes

Blackberry hat sogar noch immer Geräte mit Hardwaretastatur :heart_eyes:
Das lässt mich neidisch rüber schielen.

Edit: I am sorry for drifting into German language in this threat:
“Blackberry even has devices with hardware keyboard, what let me squint over enviously.”

3 Likes

Agreed; me too. :blush:

1 Like

Which even is stated by Fairphone themselves more than once. Actually, if your keep you phone for more than, like, two years and don’t follow the"i need the next flagship"-crowd, that’s good in the first order.
Actually, with our money investing into Fairphone, we financed (helped to partly finance) a movement that tries to revolutionise the electronics industry to produce more fair (which is resources and worker. In the end the end user also…)
That we got a gadget to show off is just the incentive… And it really looks like we did help to open eyes in media, industry and consumers.
My personal take on this

5 Likes

True, but this movement should go on!! Actually I can’t see a sustainable business modell. How will Fairphone finance further updates? By selling spare parts? By selling a new FP3? I would pay for software updates (of high quality with all features). FP 2 was a nice experiment, but unfortunately it shows to me that it is almost impossible to combine “fair” with sustainable and reliable quality.

1 Like

You are not the patient kind, are you. :wink: Just kidding.

Give them some time. They have startet just a frew years ago and are still there, developing a new phone. Obviously, the product has hit some nerve and they are working on getting a bigger impact; e.g. by offering a business model.
Selling software would be a different business and I doubt, there is a bigger market for a new smartphone OS (let alone software updates) than there is for a Fairphone. I have no idea, if they could earn enough money by selling software updates to employ the developers, but I am doubtful.
As I see it, they are really doing great in working to bring a stable Android 7 to the FP2. Yet their main focus has to be bringing a new phone for more people, if they intend to stay in business. Once they succeed doing that, they might have the means (time, people and money) to invest more in programming for the FP2 as well.

3 Likes

Hi Fairphoners
It is two years now that I started my personal smartphone era with an FP2. Having no sophisticated high-end device as a reference is helpful. But I like the mix of features and qualities: ethics, object of utility, relative sturdiness, and common features for digital life.
In other words, my FP2 provides what I need.

8 Likes

Hello everyone,

I also am reaching the 3-year mark of fairphone 2 usage and for the first time I’m experiencing some issues serious enough to consider buying some new parts.

First of all the battery is acting up and the quality is diminishing quite rapidly which is quite normal after quite a lot of charging in the past 3 years.

Secondly I dropped my phone a couple of times and this seems to be having some effect on the screen. The total left side (near the corner) is not responding anymore leaving me unable to type the keys ‘a’, ‘q’ and ‘1’ when holding the phone vertically. I have tried cleaning the connection point but it seems this was not the issue. However I’m a bit hesitant to order a new screen since I’m unsure what would happen if it does end up to be the connector issue and not a broken screen? Is there any way to test if the screen is the issue?

Thirdly I’ve been having some issues with the microphone in the past year with it working well and not on and off (depending on the day). I’ve seen multiple people with the same question but not sure if there’s a way to test what the issue is exactly (connection or broken bottom module)?

Thanks for any advice you might have to help me figure out what parts are broken and need replacement :smiley:

Kind regards,
Tessa

2 Likes

Frankly :angel: I’d usually recommend to contact your local Fairphone Angel to ask if s/he’s willing to let you test your modules on another FP2.

5 Likes

I agree with Urs. Test those buggy modules with another Fairphone owner.

1 Like

Unfortunately I have a terrible experience with my Fairphone. After 3 years of having my fairphone2, i had at least 50€ of repair per year, not even taking into account all the reboots, mobile operators that do not work on fairphine and numerous informatic bugs. Not to mention the terrible quality of the new case that breaks easy and replacement is 30€. Today I need to replace my core unit which is 250€. Financaly, having a fairphone is an enormous cost, in 3 years I spend 900€ on the phone of average quality that allways has problems.
I strongly agree with the ethical and evironemental values of a Fairphone, but not at horrible product performance and extremly high repair costs.

1 Like

I really feel for you and understand your frustration.
While it is hardly any help or making any of your troubles less annoying, please keep in mind, that Fairphone is a rather small company, that has developed and produced an absolutely new concept, independent from any of the global players or financiers.
As much as one expects a “simple” phone to work like all the others on the market, that just can not be expected in this case. And the Fairphone story is making this quite obvious.
That of course does not mean, that the FP2 is just a crappy device; there are lots of phones out there, that work quite smooth for years. The forum might give another impression, as users tend to turn to this forum, when they experience trouble rather than to say that everything is working fine.

That said, there is one point I have not heard before:

I have dropped my phone quite often and have the third screen already due to this clumsiness of mine; but the case has not even scratches (maybe tiny ones in the corners).
What do youu do to your phone? (Just kidding of course!! :wink: )

TIP Have you seen, that they are selling refurbished phones at 299,- Euro right now? Maybe you could get yourself one of those instead of a core module. When offering the spare parts (display, cameras, cover …) here on the market place you could save quite some money.

Btw: Are you certain, that the core-module is broken and needs a replacement? Maybe it’s another part? First tip would be to get in touch with one of the fairphoneangels, that could help you testing your device.

1 Like

What if you don’t have a local Fairphone Angel (which applies to most of the UK, sadly)?

In that case you might try opening a thread in this forum asking for “… help in the area of …”. I would advise to open this new thread in the “Help”-category.
Even if there is no angel, there often is someone in this forum willing to act like an angel and to offer support.
And I would expect, that there are quite a few Fairphoners in the UK, especially since the Phone Coop sells the FP2.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

1 Like

I was very happy with my FP1 and FP2.
Now I have to buy a new mobile.
Is there any expectation in FP3?
Otherwise I switch to an other brand.

Fairphone announced to be working on a new device that might be released later this year, more detauls were not given yet.
If you want to follow up the discussion here on the forum just search for “FP3”.

2 Likes

I got my FP2 on Feb 23, 2016 and I’d like to get the badge, too.

1 Like

Hi! I also reached the 3-year milestone! Can you give me the badge?
Looking back, it’s been a long ride!

Starting with Android 5 Lollipop (do you remember the phone reminding you how long you’ve owned the FP2? :slight_smile: I still miss that one! (check these pics, they seem so old, now! )

I switched to FP Open OS, learned a ton with it, I lived the problems of upgrading to Android 6 Marshmallow, switched back to FP OS, had issues with the non-slim cover and spontaneous reboots, moved to Android 7 Nougat… and today I just bought the first spare part: a replacement battery.

I’ve shown the phone to quite some people, as well (always taking the case off to show the inside, it’s sooo cool!), and hopefully I’ll show it to many more for the year(s) to come!

There’s been some tough moments but overall, I’m soo happy to be a FairPhone owner, and support its movement!:tada:

8 Likes

Thanks for the badge :slight_smile:

It took me some time to find out how the badge can be selected as a title. So here is how to do it:

Go to your badges and click the ‘3 years Fairphone 2’ badge:

Then click on the pencil and select the badge as a title.

4 Likes