My FP2: 3 years and counting

I, too, wish to apply for the 3 years of FP2 badge. I ordered it during the crowdfunding phase and received it at the end of January 2016. The only additions I have had are a spare battery and a new case after the original split. I have only used the standard upgrades, happily upgrading to Android 7.0 recently.

4 Likes

I just got a ‘3 year’ badge and I’ve only owned my FP2 for about eight months - please take it back, before the power of the badge goes to my head!

9 Likes

I’ve been a user since the crowdfunding, so I suppose I should be awarded the badge :wink:

VERY happy user, and also trying to use my experience to influence friends…

4 Likes

I’d like to apply for the badge as well. The phone was at no point fully functional during the three years. I’ve replaced the cover, the screen and the camera. At the moment the microphone’s broken.

1 Like

Here, I want the badge too :raising_hand_man:

2 Likes

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Have you already found this thread:

A bit further down in that thread, offers to maybe try and fix broken mics.

So you might try to pm @ElKrasso.
But please be aware, that I am in no position to promise anything on his behalf and it might be, he already has more requests than he can handle.

3 Likes

I really need to order some mics soon :sunglasses:

3 Likes

+1 :raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

I just got it.
Gimme that badge, too. :rofl:

1 Like

Gruppenzwang? Than I want that badge too!

2 Likes

The badges are currently out of stock, we are looking for a new supplier :yum:

5 Likes

Auch ich bin nach einer sehr langen Wartezeit seit Januar 2016 FP2 Besitzer. Ich bekam ein neues Display und habe das dritten Gehäuse, das Kameraupdate und den dritten Akku.
Das letzte Softwareupdate hat mir die Dual-Sim Funktion genommen und diverse andere Bugs gebracht. An mehrere random Neustarts pro Tag habe ich mich gewöhnt und Anrufe kommen regelmäßig nicht an, weil es mal wieder aus ist.
Ich behalte mein FP2 und hoffe weiter! Es muss doch möglich fair und gute Sofzeare-Qualität zu vereinen. Ich wäre sogar bereit für ein gutes Update Geld zu bezahlen!
Ernsthaft als Hauptgerät kann ich es aber niemanden empfehlen! ch nutze dienstlich seit vielen Jahren Blackberry und komme zu der Erkenntnis, dass ein nicht fair produziertes Gerät dennoch nachhaltiger sein kann wenn die Qualität und der Support stimmt. Stabile Software, absolut robust, stürzt nicht ab, hängt sich nicht auf und ist absolut verlässlich.

3 Likes

Das heißt, die Möglichkeit, eine SIM-Karte deaktivieren zu können, ist für dich essentiell?

1 Like

Dual-Sim war einer der Gründe für meine Kaufentscheidung und ich habe diese Grundfunktion regelmäßig genutzt (nur 1 Geräte am Woch oder im Urlaub dabei und die Arbeits-Sim nur zu gewissen Zeiten aktiviert).
Wenn man Dual-Sim vermarktet, dann ist de/aktivieren essentiell.

3 Likes

Blackberry hat sogar noch immer Geräte mit Hardwaretastatur :heart_eyes:
Das lässt mich neidisch rüber schielen.

Edit: I am sorry for drifting into German language in this threat:
“Blackberry even has devices with hardware keyboard, what let me squint over enviously.”

3 Likes

Agreed; me too. :blush:

1 Like

Which even is stated by Fairphone themselves more than once. Actually, if your keep you phone for more than, like, two years and don’t follow the"i need the next flagship"-crowd, that’s good in the first order.
Actually, with our money investing into Fairphone, we financed (helped to partly finance) a movement that tries to revolutionise the electronics industry to produce more fair (which is resources and worker. In the end the end user also…)
That we got a gadget to show off is just the incentive… And it really looks like we did help to open eyes in media, industry and consumers.
My personal take on this

5 Likes

True, but this movement should go on!! Actually I can’t see a sustainable business modell. How will Fairphone finance further updates? By selling spare parts? By selling a new FP3? I would pay for software updates (of high quality with all features). FP 2 was a nice experiment, but unfortunately it shows to me that it is almost impossible to combine “fair” with sustainable and reliable quality.

1 Like

You are not the patient kind, are you. :wink: Just kidding.

Give them some time. They have startet just a frew years ago and are still there, developing a new phone. Obviously, the product has hit some nerve and they are working on getting a bigger impact; e.g. by offering a business model.
Selling software would be a different business and I doubt, there is a bigger market for a new smartphone OS (let alone software updates) than there is for a Fairphone. I have no idea, if they could earn enough money by selling software updates to employ the developers, but I am doubtful.
As I see it, they are really doing great in working to bring a stable Android 7 to the FP2. Yet their main focus has to be bringing a new phone for more people, if they intend to stay in business. Once they succeed doing that, they might have the means (time, people and money) to invest more in programming for the FP2 as well.

3 Likes

Hi Fairphoners
It is two years now that I started my personal smartphone era with an FP2. Having no sophisticated high-end device as a reference is helpful. But I like the mix of features and qualities: ethics, object of utility, relative sturdiness, and common features for digital life.
In other words, my FP2 provides what I need.

8 Likes