New Fairphone 2 Bottom Module with an appropriate case

Leo, I can provide you with dead bottom modules. Please shoot me a PM if you’re interested

2 Likes

I don’t need dead modules, for now. But it could become handy to know sb that has some

1 Like

I have two as well. One has broken mic, on the other one data transmission over USB doesn’t properly work.

1 Like

Sure, just let me know. I think I have pretty much any module here either semi functional or pretty much busted.

2 Likes

The thing is about any broken module, Fairphone may take them back but imo repairing should be preferred before replacing them for recycling as it leaves less waste behind. But this these days is oldschool, and who would pay for it at last…:thinking:

It’s just a matter of scaling and money. Any thing can break or get damaged - needs more or less service to keep it functional, house, car, any (power)plant, tv, computer, mobile, wrist watch…
For some things one decide to get that thing repaired, for others one rather tent to go for a new unit.
Broken cars in sandy(desert) (Oil hoisting) countries may not necessarily be retrieved but simply the next one taken out of the garage for more fun rides…

3 Likes

I did repaired bottom modules with broken usb port (see link up in this threat), so if anybody would like to send them to me, I will repair them for free if possible. I only do not want to invest money, so the shipping costs should be covered by sender.
If someone have already have the module replaced and want to get rid of the old one I would offer them repaired for free here in the forum.

18 Likes

Amazing! Keep us up to date please :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could maybe give the people at Fairphone a phone call and simply ask about what specific components are used in the module. From my experience they were rather friendly on the phone. And I guess the worst answer would be no answer. But seeing how the FP is meant for such stuff, I’d imagine they’d be willing to give you further details about such things. (Maybe even the manufacturer details, so you can easily order them - OR BEST CASE even offer to send you a couple of the needed components via mail for some euros.)

4 Likes

I have just changed the bottom module for the 3rd time (i.e. bottom module no 4 (including the original component) due to malfunction in the mic. Where should I send the broken one for repair?

/Michael

1 Like

Hi, I have one bottom module with the USB working but the mic failed. May I send it to you? It would be nice if you could repair it and send it back to me. Of course, I would take charge of shipping costs.

Till now I do not know which specific mic Fairphone used in the bottom module. Maybe @Monica.Ciovica could tell me.
If I get to know I will gladly do the repair for you.

2 Likes

They used an SMD Mic with internal amp/chargepump. The formfactor is 3.76x2.95. I have a link to a mic I’ve already used succesfully in the bottom module.
You can of course buy it from other shops and use other mics, but I’ve tested this one
https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Electret-Condenser-Microphone_Partron_AM4311T42A0_Partron-AM4311T42A0_C267056.html

But it isn’t easy to solder, because the pads on the board are very fragile

5 Likes

But from my experience changing the Mic only fixes the module for a few days. The reason is that most of the time it’s not the mic, but the traces that break. But you could run a jumper wire

4 Likes

Thanks for the Infos. I´ll order some, I am sure they wont cost a liver.
I am not afraid for the soldering, even some wild spare traces are only visible from the inside, and as long as it works…

3 Likes

one more thing:
Did you try loud video recording? As the stock mic from Fairphone like to oversteer very fast. I would like to try a less sensitive one than the original.

3 Likes

No I haven’t but you can get a different one if the sensetivity is a problem

2 Likes

I´ll give it a try. I have some bottom modules available, where the mic died.

4 Likes

I finally have a working prototype of my PCB that is actually fully functional and installed in my personal fairphone. The PCB ist still not perfect, but it’s close. I will send some pictures later

7 Likes

23 Likes

There are still some parts missing, like the microphone.
What are you complaining about it, as you mentioned, it is “still not perfect”?

1 Like