Microphone does not work

Since the new cherry update, I have been having the same problem!

When I call people or they call me, they do not hear me. I do hear them but they hear nothing coming from my side.

I thought something was wrong with the microphone, but when I record movies it does record sound! So it is only with making calls that it doesn’t work. Occasionally, I am able to make calls, but that has only been twice so I think those were lucky shots.

This is so frustrating since a phone is made to call with! I can’t call work, can’t call the doctor, can’t call my friends…

Already mailed fairphone so I hope they have a solution. Any more tips?

And I do not have a case, it is not set to mute and I have not dropped my phone.
Checked all that :slight_smile:

Recording app that comes with the phone does not record any sound.
However, when making movies of recording sound in watsapp, it does record sound…

I am also having this problem. The OS is up-to-date. I’ve not dropped it or anything. Mic is just not working any more… Any solutions? Thanks.

The solution fairphone mailed me was: Do a hard reset and wait a day before re-installing the data and your google account.
I finally had time to do this but unfortunately it didn’t work. I hoped the new update would fix the problem, but it didn’t.
So I don’t know what to do next…

I do have the same problem! My microphone does not work anymore and people can’t hear me when I call them. Did anyone find a solution or do I need to send my 2nd Batch FP back?

Furthermore I have the problem that the screen freezes at the start. As the Start/Stop Button did not work to reboot the Phone I tried to take out the battery. When booting the Phone, the screen freezed on the “Fairephone” Screen.
Seems like the hardware has some problems. Did someone have the same problem? and hopefully find a solution… ? :wink:

Thanks,
Andreas

You are having multiple problems there… Check Fairphone does not boot up (bluescreen).

Hello,
Thank you for the tips. I did everything as described an even a hard reset. The phone does start again and work normally. The microphone is still not working though.
Is there anything I can do? Or should I send it in?
Cheers,
Andreas

1 Like

Sounds like it could be a hardware fault, so would advise you contact support directly to organise repair/replacement.

Same problem here. Any solutions yet?
Microphone works in Skype, Sound Recorder,… but not when making normal calls (regardless if I’m called or call someone myself).

Having trouble, with microphone inside the phone. External mics are working well. Do i have to replace mother or daugterboard or other fix? Allready tried hardreset…

This should be an issue covered by warranty. I suggest you contact FP support to arrange a repair.

Hi everybody,
I’m a FP1 owner, I’ve got the same trouble with mic not working in calls and other apps. As long as the bluetooth headset was fine, I’ve ordered a new daughterboard and replaced, but this didn’t solve.
I’ve already cleared out data and made hard reset (now I’m stucked with android.media stoppen but there’s solution in other posts) What else could I try?

amedeo

I have the same issue on a FP1 first batch. Described best by Mieke. It seems to mainly effect calls and is hard to compare to sound recorder recordings as I suspect the recording level is different.

No case, no notable changes, no accidents, reset does not work. I’ve also emailed fairphone. I’ve got a voicemail I left myself as a .wav if it is useful to anyone.

thanks… i uninstall call recorder now it is working good th…s

Same problem here.

Phone calls - - - - - > no sound
Voice recorder - - - - - > faint sound as if I was very far away
Video recorder - - - - - - > full sound no problems

Weird… Anyone find a fix yet?

HI there !

I’m kind of happy because I had the same problem, and I resolved it just a few minutes ago.

I tried everything I could find on the internet and I can tell you what worked : uninstalling Messenger, the Facebook messenging app. Why ? I don’t know. Maybe there is a problem with this version of the app, I have no idea. Is it the same for you ? I have no clue.

But I think that the problem you all have is not a hardware problem but more probably a software one. If I were you, I would check every app that got updated since the problem appeared. Then, try clearing the cache, unistalling the updates (Settings/Apps), or uninstalling completely the app.

It worked for me, I hope it will work for you as well.

Good luck !

Well my happiness didn’t last long, because a few hours later, the microphone was as it was, which is, not working.
This morning I manage to have it working again by clearing the cache of some app, but it got back to the non-functional state, and I can’t see what is causing the problem. It’s clearly a software problem, but I really don’t know what’s causing the problem.

I thought for a while that it could be the google news & weather app, but apparently it wasn’t.
I’m still looking for a cure.

Hey Klem38

I had the same problem. For me it helped to do a hard reset. I know it should’nt be this way and there is always some new problem with the the fairphone but try a hard reset.

Cheers,

Johannes

I haven’t read the whole thread here, but have you tried checking the phones log files by connecting to it via usb or by using an app? (catlog, adb, etc). Maybe some app is blocking the audio system. Not sure how this would look like, but maybe something will stand out?

Same probleme:

Microphone not working on calls: Caller can’t hear me, I hear them loud an clear.
Sound Recorder produces files with swooshs with my voice just silent in the back.

FP-Support suggested to make a mike test via the factory mode and it shows the telephone microphone isn’t working, but the one for the camera is.

Then I bought a new daughterboard, installed it but still no change.
So it should clearly be a software problem or some connections not working.
Not very useful, such a phone that is no phone!