"Loyalty" discount in contradiction with values?

Hi,

I recently received a personal discount from Fairphone as a “thank you for continuing to use a Fairphone”, which was nice. What I found strange was that the discount only works for a new Phone or headphones, and the email also includes instructions for recycling my current one for an additional discount.

I’m fully content with my Fairphone 3, but it’s reaching an age where renewing spare parts like the battery is soon becoming relevant. If Fairphone is all about longevity, why are they encouraging getting a new phone instead of updating the existing one?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about that. perhaps contacting the support might put more light on the opportunity to use the discount for the spare parts. But please also check the discussion on Keep Club Keep club - Fairphone web, how to enter?, if I understood correctly, the points should translate into discounts for spare parts.

To me this sounds more like the offer was not related to the Keep Club and the points you can collect there.

Because there can be slight problems with the latter, at least via their own (perhaps non-existing) stock.
While you make a valid point, they can only give discounts with confidence on things they have, it would be more strange and probably create more anger to offer discounts on things they very well might not have.

Keep an eye on “Discontinued Product” here, or “Out Of Stock” which can transform into discontinued … Spare parts for your Fairphone, discover them here

1 Like

I noticed now that this is indeed a current Fairphone promotion:

Fairphone 3(+) customer campaign

Fairphone 3(+) customer campaign

Fairphone 3 and 3+ loyalty voucher

As part of our Fairphone 3 customer loyalty campaign, we are rewarding customers for long-term use of their Fairphone 3 and 3+ with a 20% discount voucher to be used on the Fairphone Shop with a Fairphone 4, Fairphone 5, Fairbuds or Fairbuds XL. Valid from April 18, 2024 until July 31, 2024 at 23:59 (Approximately 3 months).

• This voucher can only be used once within a single order from the Fairphone Shop.
  • It is possible to use the voucher in combination with other promotions or gift cards.
  • It is NOT possible to use the voucher in combination with other discount codes.
  • The voucher cannot be exchanged or redeemed for cash.
  • When placing an order with this voucher, the general Terms and Conditions of Purchase apply, including your right to Cool-off within 14 days from the receipt of the Product. In the event that you exercise this right, you will be reimbursed the monetary value of the Journey Voucher in the form of a new voucher for use at a later stage.

Fairphone 3 and 3+ recycling gift card

As part of our Fairphone 3 customer campaign, We are offering this temporary promotion from April 18, 2024 until July 31, 2024 at 23:59 (Approximately 3 months). We offer a special gift card through Our Reuse & Recycling Program by offering all Fairphone 3 and 3+ owners regardless of the condition a recycling value of forty euros (€40), which is redeemed in the form of a gift card (“promotion”). Please refer to Fairphone’s Terms and Conditions for gift cards here.

This offer only applies if You are recycling a Fairphone 3 and 3+ via the Reuse and Recycling Program during the promotional period. It does not apply retroactively for devices that have already been registered and returned via the Reuse and Recycling Program before April 18, 2024. After the promotion end date, you can still receive a gift card for recycling but this will vary based on the condition of the used Fairphone 3 or 3+. When participating in the Reuse and Recycling Program, the Terms and Conditions apply and can be found here.

In line with the Terms and Conditions for the Reuse and Recycling Program, We are unable to provide this offer for customers located in the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Norway.

If you have problems with the Reuse and Recycling process, please reach out to the Support team by creating a ticket here.

My speculation

Having just learned of the discontinuation of both FP3 camera modules, I think the above deals might partly represent an attempt by Fairphone to get ahold of more used FP3 and FP3+ (camera) modules.

7 Likes

My FP3 is from June 22 and I didn’t get an offer.

If that is true then there is a potentially huge problem. In EU countries there is a minimum 2-year legal warranty. The latest FP3/3+ models were sold less than two years ago (as new). So if the camera module in the FP3/3+ stops functioning the buyer, who is by law entitled to a free repair or replacement product, will not see the (legal) warranty hounored?

I guess FP has thought of the warranty problem and stopped selleing cameras before they had nothing left.

2 Likes

Fairphone has stated their clear assurance that there is enough stock of camera modules for warranty repairs (and repairs out of warranty through the Repair Service). See the topic I have linked to.

2 Likes

But I bought a FP3 in the Fairphone Shop and also did not receive any information about this voucher to date. I double-checked my emails to be sure. Is it possible that it would be distributed via the keep club? In that case I’m unlikely to receive it as I registered my FP4 there after.

Might also be limited to those who opted into Fairphone’s newsletters. Having said that, I have lost track of what Fairphone newsletters and offers I opted into – I used to think I subscribed to all of them, but then again I did not even get the invitation to the recent Fairbuds launch. :wink:

1 Like

I certainly get the newsletters, but I did not see anything in there, either. So for now it remains a mystery to me. :slight_smile:

I thought kind of the opposite - seeing as they are running into difficulties ensuring that FP3/3+ components are available, I saw this as an attempt to move people on from 3/3+ before things become too untenable and give the whole idea (and the company) a bad name.
But you’re right that this will also allow them to support the remaining FP3 users for longer.