Loss of mobile network connection on FP2

My FP2 frequently looses the connection to the mobile network. This results in missed calls, not being able to make calls, no internet connectivity.

I can’t identify a pattern of circumstances when this happens. It’s not related to my location (indoor, outdoor, underground, good or bad connection), to the intensity of use of the phone (games, long calls, uptime, using data connection, phone temperature),

Sometimes the phone recovers on its own, sometimes de- and reactivating the SIM helps, on other occasions one (or even several!) reboots are necessary.

What I have tried to solve this situation:

1. I’m using a brand new SIM card from my provider (bob/Austria).
  2. Turned off location services completely
  3. Switched the SIM slot (as I’m only using a single SIM card)
  4. Checked APN settings to match those documented by my provider
  5. Opened a support ticket (they haven’t answered in over two weeks)

None of these measures improved the stability of my phone.

Does anyone out there have an idea?

3 Likes

What I forgot to say:
I’ve installed FairphoneOS 1.7.0.
It seems, the problem started in August. I cannot really tell, as August was a very troubled month for my FP2 (frequent reboots, re-entering the SIM-PIN and such)

Hello,
I’ve sometime with one provider (i use dual sim with 2 providers) that he is loosing connection. I find out that this is at the switching of the network; from 2g(gsm) to 4g(lte or 3g (umts) and reverse.
I did set the network (search) to manual, it take less time to switch from on system to the other so if someone tries to phone me he has only few second without ringing.
Hoppe this will help you too.

For your reboot and other problem’s: an app may bee the problem, just kill all “unneeded” apps to find out witch one is the problem.
Or maybe you dropped the phone and something is “brocken”, did you clean the internal contacts ?
Greeting’s

Thanks for your help.

I don’t think, my problem is related to switching between 2g/3g/4g, as I experience this problem also, when my phone is lying around on the same spot for hours.

Still, I’ll try disabling 3g and 4g and therefore avoiding such network switches to see, if the problem occurs again.

The reboot and other problems have resolved more or less. I just wanted to point out why I can’t really say, when this started.

Hello Again,
Network switching is going on if a network is to loaded or if the signal is weakening (in the software management of the provider), so if it’s laying around it may switch!

Sorry i forgot to tell you that putting only to 2 G will increase your lose of connection depending on how the provider manage the priority of is Network usage…

ok, so will activating manual network search avoid such switches?

I’d love to find a state for my phone, where it will work reliably.

Hello again,

No, manual network searching does disabling finding an alternate Network (from another provider) so your phone ask for connection only at the provider you choose (much faster response and the network registration is not interfering with the other provider), Switching from the type of G is depending on the signal strength (as they say it but in fact it’s not the point).

It seems that I have a similar problem with my FP2, and for me it started about 2 weeks ago.
I use one SIM card in slot 1 and did not have any problems with mobile network connectivity the first months that I used the FP2.
And now I detected the following pattern:
Whenever the phone gets just a little bit warm, either due to loading the battery, or just by using the phone (eg. web browsing), then FP2 cannot detect any mobile networks any more, no matter if I use manual or automatic search and no matter if I select 2G only or any of the other options.
In the morning, when the phone has cooled down over night, the mobile network connection is there, until it will disappear after some minutes of phone usage…

To me this looks like a Hardware fault, so I probably have to contact the FP Support.
Or does anybody have another idea how to solve this?

2 Likes

If my fp2 has No Network Connection i toggle flight mode on/off. Then it works again. I put it on 3g prefferd this Works fine with me.
I Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who’s your provider? Which version of Fairphone OS is on your phone?

I ask because this might be related to an old problem that was solved by an earlier update, but still might affect some people.

Look here:

My phone is on Fairphone OS 1.7.0 (I usually upgrade to the latest version short after release).
My provider is bob (Austria), which is kind of a sub-brand of A1 (Austria).

Thank you for the link to the quite interesting threads on killed SIM cards. However, while my phone was still on 1.6.something the its stability deteriorated to the point where I decided to switch back to my old iPhone 4S and also to an LG (I don’t know, which model). In both phones the SIM card worked flawlessly.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint with the flight mode on/off, unfortunately it did not help in my case. And I also have Fairphone OS 1.7.0, and my provider is Vodafone Germany.

Hi, I have a very similar Problem: when I try to make a call it takes about 40 seconds before I start hearing the sound that the other phone is ringing. Just after I start hearing it, it stops and the call gets automatically turned down. I am very disappointed.

Hi, i’m also using bob in my FP2.
Do you have roaming enabled on your FP2?
FP2 doesn’t support national roaming, so roaming has to be enabled in general for bob.

Sure I have roaming enabled. I’d never have any connection without :wink:

So, here a brief update: I switched to “preferred network mode: 2G only” last Friday. Up to now, I didn’t have any missed calls or network disconnects – I didn’t use my phone a lot these days.

I’ll keep it in this mode for the rest of the week at least and then also allow 3G.

At least I seem to have a stable connection for now. 2G only is, as you can imagine, a pain. So this is hopefully only an intermediate state.

This is not gonna help to find the solution, but i have the same problem… randomly, it loss connections to network. I haven’t experienced lost of calls, but when using for exemple google maps ou waze app, it just get disconnected from the network.

It happens also when location is turned off.
This plus + restarting randomly + battery not lasting even a day… i just hope it will be a solution soon.

I agree, this is not going to find, let alone solve, the problem. Without any tool for debugging at hand, this is pretty hopeless. Having bought a phone for more than €500, I shouldn’t have to do any of this.

Since the service centre hasn’t answered my ticket in three (3) weeks, I obviously need to identify a workaround on my own.

(Sorry for the harsh words, but I’m pretty fed up with this situation)

Hi I am experiencing the same problem. Below the description of the problem:

My fairphone is only able to doing pone calls when it has 4G coverage, but not regular coverage. I tried with my former mobile phone (changing the sim card) and in the same places I could not do calls with fairphone I can with my former mobile phone, so it is not a problem of the telephone service provider. I have just updated to Fairphone 2 OS 1.7.0 and I still have the same problem.

Thanks for a quick response.