LineageOS fork including MicroG

This is very cool! They used the same code to host the OTA updates as we were on the old buildserver.

@Roboe: Is this maybe a cool alternative to note in the Official Lineage thread?

2 Likes

Yup, I’d recommend it.

A few questions:

• Is LOS also against adopting microG like CM was?
  • F-Secure blocks microG.org but I can’t see anything wrong with the SSL certificate.
  • What’s to prevent Google from removing the compatibility?

I don’t know about CM, but according to microG’s FAQ the LOS people have concerns regarding the singnature spoofing required to replace the original Google services by microG.
@Roboe doesn’t share these concerns (see his post above).

According to this F-Secure community forum thread it could be related to an update containing a “Family Rules” module.
Another thing I can imagine is that it is blocked intentionally because of the fact that migroG is “spoofing” Google’s software. So kind of the same reason why some virus engines give alarm when they detect some remote desktop access software (like VNC) running.

Probably nothing, except of their own and application developers’ effort for adjusting their APIs. So it’s kind of a tortoise and hare story.

I must say I’m very happy switching from FairphoneOS to Lineage OS with GApps to LineageOS without Gapps to this Lineage OS for MicroG fork.
The Battery Life improved significantly and I’m able to use all of my apps like under FairphoneOS without an Googl account
I don’t no if the spoofing security issues are justified, but it’s a very comfortable non googl solution.
So yay! Recommended

2 Likes

Can this ROM Lineage be rooted?

Can you root Fairphone Open OS?

For me it is essential the root.

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=fairphone%20open%20os%20root

There is a search function in this forum (click the magnifying glass left of your avatar in the top right corner), and sometimes it even helps :wink: .

3 Likes

Thanks, and Lineage OS (Android 7)?

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=lineageos%20root

There is a search function in this forum (click the magnifying glass left of your avatar in the top right corner), and sometimes it even helps :wink: .

6 Likes

Basically followed the same steps, but queued the latest modem.zip after LineageOS+MicroG. Works flawlessly :smiley: .

I haven’t used a modem.zip yet, what’s the advantage?

In other news, I have been running the every-other-nightly-ish builds, and I can report that for me at least 20171110 was a lot more stable than the latest one 20171113. I suffered quite a few random reboots when out and about today (caveat: my usage patterns have been different to normal, but nothing unusual for a phone at all) so I’ve rolled back to the previous update.

It would be good if we kept each other up to date on builds that are good or problematic, especially for newcomers. I plan on trying a build every week or so I think, I’ll update this thread with my thoughts or any isssues.

I “updated” to microG - and since then, WhatsApp is not really working anymore. Before it picked up the messages every 15 mins. What did I do wrong? Does it work for anyone else? How should I adjust the microG settings?

You should have an app called “microG settings” (it contains the Self-Check as well). Do you have Google Cloud Messaging enabled there?

See also here:

1 Like

I did the self check after installation (is mentioned on the micfoG - lineage homepage). first I activated google messaging, but then WhatsApp didn’t really work, so i turned it back off.

Try to backup your WhatsApp conversations from the app, clear WhatsApp’s data and re-register your account. Then WhatsApp should pick all fine.

It happens sometimes that some apps don’t reconnect with GMS through mG correctly —specially if you restore a backup coming from a ROM with GSF (GAPPS).

To which migration file are you referring here? is the migration of the official LOS? or another migration to the forked LOS+microg?

I guess this isn’t needed if you are moving from the official release, right?

A specific one for the LineagoOS+MicroG repos. So that when Lineage search for new available updates, it search in their repos…
The migration file can be found here : https://download.lineage.microg.org/extra/

Edit: I assume this migration zip is needed if you come from any LOS version (official, unofficial) and want to migrate towards LOS+MicroG

3 Likes

Thanks,

I just did it following those instructions and it worked perfectly and it’s so nice to dont need to patch it.

With this release there is no need to keep the microg repository in F-Droid, right?