Lineage-16.0 (Android Pie) Nightly

The GPS Problem is the same on my SGS5. It takes up to ~2 minutes for getting the position. And somtimes position get lost on road. So it probably is not related to FP.

1 Like

LineageOS for microG 20190917 here, I don’t know which regular LineageOS build this is based on.
I took a closer look today after I initially just checked that GPS worked in general after updating.

It’s not entirely consistent, but the problem affects LineageOS for microG, too.

Sometimes I get my location instantly, but most of the time it takes much more time than before, and the detection of movement (location icon in OsmAnd changes from dot to pointer) seems to be affected, it constantly changes from fixed location to moving and back.

Satellites are found without a problem and the satellites in range count is constantly updated, though. Also confirmed with SatStat.

I tried to simply install the older build, but it doesn’t like my encrypted data partition. I would have to restore a full backup instead, which I don’t want to do just now.

P.S.: No trouble with 5 GHz WiFi and mobile internet connection.

1 Like

Update 20190919 successfully installed here. :slight_smile: Thank you, Chris!

1 Like

I have narrowed the WiFi issues down to the following:

1. When there is only a 2.4 GHz network among the known networks in the range, the WiFi works just fine. :white_check_mark:
  2. When there is a network that provides 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously, the WiFi is unstable. :x:
  3. When there is both a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz among the known networks in the range, WiFi is unstable: :x:

When I enable Ausführliche WLAN-Protokolle aktivieren (~ Enable detailed WiFi protocols) in the Android developer settings and observe the list of WiFi networks (which then shows the individual frequencies per network), I can see that the 5 GHz frequencies often keep appearing and disappearing.

PS: I was wondering whether updating the modem files could fix this. (I have read about it, but don’t recall actually having done this.)

4 Likes

I don‘t have wifi problems on myself but you could try the change in this post of a different device which leads to good outcome for a lot of people regarding 5ghz.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?s=0e63a9af9b9286fd66a17916f94a86db&p=80247634&postcount=1059

I cannot see any pattern in your kmsg files and so it is very difficult to analyze if we have not more information than: “My phone is rebooting at least 10x a day”.

• First of all install a known functional nightly build of lineage 16.0: I think the last one reported in this thread was 20190919
  • What is your cpu temperature right before reboot?
  • At current level of knowledge my guess is still a hardware(driver) issue. You can try to disassemble your phone and clean all your metallic contactors with alcohol/electronic spray and then reassemble the phone.
  • If you are familiar backing up your partitions with TWRP you can do this and try a clean install of lineage (means to delete system and data partititon) to see if the problems continue to exist. Afterwards you can restore data/system partition from TWRP Backup.
  • Further I recommend to go through the list at: ✏ A little Guide to... Random Reboots
1 Like

If it can help, I found out the reason of my reboots was the “MPDecision” option enabled.
I’m no expert, but it has to do with the CPU and the on/off state of the 4 cores.
When this option is enabled, my phone is very unstable, borderline unusable.
It’s possible to disable the option in the L-Speed application and in the kernel adiutor application.
HTH

3 Likes

WiFi-Performance on 5Ghz is still pretty bad and some Networks will not let me choose between 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Hope it gets fixed soon… in the mean time, can I completely disable 5Ghz somehow?

Did you already install the latest modemfiles?
Depending on when you switched to LineageOS from Fairphone’s OSes, these might be outdated, if you never updated them yourself.

(Sorry if you already mentioned that somewhere, I didn’t find it just now.)

Uhm, nope… but it was fine on 15.1, only since the LOS16 update a week ago the problems started appearing. But anyway, thanks for the hint, I will install them this evening :slight_smile:
LOS has been on my phone for quite a while now, at least a year…

I did update my modem file a few months ago, but nevertheless problems with 5Ghz. I haven’t checked if there is a new version available.

No, there isn’t.
I’m just wondering why I don’t have problems with 5 GHz WiFi. Where’s the difference?
I’ll admit there are not too many WiFi networks I use at all, so my sample size is very small, but at least the 5 GHz WiFi at home and at work cause no trouble for me.

Yes, this is possible, though I forgot how (really useful, I know…)

in Settings → System → Developer options you can enable “Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging” to debug what is going on. Without logs, who knows what is happening. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Alright, will do that :slight_smile:
By the way - GPS seems to be fine again now, is it the same for you people out there?

2 Likes

same for me but I havn’t done any tracking yet only navigation and location findining

I have noticed that it works now(today, lunch-run), however I have not updated since Sep. 16. I’m thinking if this could have been related to an issue to download A-GPS data? Not so savvy in this field, but if we do not have any accurate data from satellite-positions(wiped due to sw-update) and then get issues to download the information later on, could that cause this issue with slow time to fixed position?

@chrmhoffmann
what do you think, is it a good idea to cherrypick this commit with regards to 5ghz wifi AP

https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_device_oneplus_oneplus3/+/258974/

2 Likes

By the way, I updated to the 0924 build - and the remaining problems (mobile internet and wifi) seem less prominent now…

OpenCamera, for instance.

That app additionally drains the battery on LOS 16.0 faster than on 15.1. The battery drain is on LOS 16.0 that quick, that recharging directly from a USB-wall-charger isn’t fast enough to stop the battery drain. I retested this with FP2 normal system, not FPOOS. not nearly the same behavior. Not to speak of the heat the FP2 emits while testing this.

1 Like

Yep … fine again here, too, and without installing a new build.