Keyboard Lag (delayed input) on Android 11 on FP3+

Hi there,

I’ve been noticing an increase in keyboard lag over the last couple of months (maybe even specifically after my last update) on FP3+.
I’m on Android 11 (8901.4.A.0019.1).
I use Gboard with multi language support (tried to cut it down to the minimum of writing systems I need, but it still happens).

Not sure if there is a proper term for it but occasionally, probably once in every 10 times the keyboard comes up, when I start typing, it catches the first one or two characters but then freezes if I keep typing (no haptic feedback or text input on screen), then all the characters come in all at once after a second or two, including the haptic feedback.

Have you experienced the same? Are there any known solutions?
I’ve found only one other forum topic and the guy had several other problems I don’t have (e.g. memory issues between Android Activities etc.), so that’s why I’m asking here.

Hi

There are other such reports which you may find if you search, but it may well be one of the following:

• App overload :- try clearing the cache
  • Memory load :- check to see if you have 6GB left etc. Clear the bin in any image app etc.
  • SD card formatted as internal which totally messes with the memory
  • A RAM problem :- Clear the cache of all or many apps.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Continuing the discussion from Keyboard Lag (delayed input) on Android 11 on FP3+:

Hello,
I am happy to find someone with the same problem as me. I troubleshot this issue at length with support and they said they had no reports like mine, so I am posting it here to see if anyone else can relate.

The short version is, sometimes they keyboard will freeze, and I can keep typing on it but the whole phone will stay frozen, and after 2-10 seconds it will unfreeze and the keyboard will catch up, typing very quickly everything that I typed while it was frozen. To me, it only froze when I wrote special characters such as ,.:?()*, and similar. When typing letters and/or numbers, it almost never froze, which again, made me think it wasn’t a RAM or cache problem. I am also not using an SD card at all. Clearing the

The issue happens with the original keyboard app that comes on default with Android, Gboard. It does NOT happen if you uninstall all updates from this app!! Which is why I thought it’s a problem with the app, but if many FP3(+) users don’t encounter this issue at all, then it might be something more specific.

If your keyboard sometimes freezes, try uninstalling the updates, and if then the problem is suddenly gone, then you might have the same issue as I do!

Thanks for reading,
Beroun

2 Likes

Hi,

I moved your post to the topic you cited, hope that’s all right for you.

Reading about this keyboard lag it occurred to me that such an effect might be caused by keylogging malware. I think it’s unlikely in your case, or that of sarararah (hope I got that right :wink: ), but it’s worth bearing in mind.

I moved your post to the topic you cited, hope that’s all right for you.

Reading about this keyboard lag it occurred to me that such an effect might be caused by keylogging malware. I think it’s unlikely in your case, or that of sarararah (hope I got that right :wink: ), but it’s worth bearing in mind.

Thank you, I wanted to post it here but couldn’t! Appreciated.

Regarding the keylogging software, do you have any idea how to find out if that’s the case in a phone?
To be fair, I can believe that Google includes a keylogger with its updates to Gboard, it sounds like a thing Google would do… :laughing: But if it’s not from Google it doesn’t make sense why this behaviour would disappear when I uninstall all updates from Gboard and run with the default version.

Well, I would expect any half-decent security product to spot it, but as I said, I don’t think it’s likely to be your case anyway, I was just making the remark on general principles.

From your description and the way it disappears when reverting to previous versions, it could be a bug in Gboard (but not widely reported as far as I know). Such as when interpreting punctuation like ;-) as a smiley.
It could also be some other software that sticks a handle on the keyboard input so as to provide some similar service. Such a utility might be thrown off when the keyboard software is reverted. Can you think of any utility you might have installed? Or some language pack maybe?

Honestly, I have returned my phone to factory settings as part of the troubleshooting with Fairphone support, and every day the keyboard got a bit worse with the lags and freezes and after 2 weeks or so it was back where it was. And I have not downloaded any app during those 2 weeks (just the ones that I had installed before resetting the phone OS). In those, it’s just messaging apps, banking apps, the usual stuff. The only language I have is Slovak and I haven’t really modded the keyboard at all, other than enabling dark mode (for the whole phone) and disabling the telemetry of Gboard. I hope it’s not that which causes it :laughing: