Ghost inputs on FP4

Same problem here, rapid ghost touches, a few times per week.
Luckily switching the screen off and on again (power button) solves it - until the next time.

FP4 with laatste standard updates

This thread is getting pretty long. One thing I’m missing here is confirmation if the fix with tape on the connector actually helped anybody else than Hans to fix the problem for good (or almost for good).

Myself, I’ve only had ghost touches once - when I charged the phone from a non-grounded battery-based power station (imagine a 2 kWh “powerbank”). Nothing else. (Lucky me!)

Please, do not react with a hundred “me too” posts, otherwise reading this thread will become impossible. Cast a vote in the poll, please.

• I haven’t ever experienced any ghost touches
  • I’ve experienced ghost touches only very rarely
  • I have regular ghost touches and have not tried any permanent fix
  • I have regular ghost touches, I’ve added some tape, ghost touches remain
  • I have regular ghost touches, I’ve added some tape, ghost touches disappear for ± 1 week
  • I had regular ghost touches, I’ve added some tape, ghost touches disappear forever

0 voters

4 Likes

I’m missing at least the option that just tightening the connector fixed them once and for all. Doesn’t always has to be tape.

1 Like

Reattaching the connector didn’t fix it for me, neither did adding tape. After a few days/weeks it just starts again. RMA’ing now, let’s see if that gets rid of it (I mean, it should).

1 Like

update after nearly 2 weeks:
Tape did only work for a few days but reduced the behavior by a lot so it does appear but not so often as before. it now behaves to only every 3 or 4 days instead of every day, so i guess, the problem seems to be related on the connector on my side. i keep looking for it.

For me the same - after applying a foam sticker, ghost inputs did not disappear completely.

I increased the pressure of the display connector about a week ago. With the old arrangement, I had ghost touches again and again. I have now used 2 layers of cardboard. This is about 1 mm thick. Before screwing on, I had switched on the mobile phone. I detected 2 bruises on the white display turned on. So the pressure was too strong.
I then loosened the two screws left and right, just up to the point where the pressure points disappeared. Result: No ghosttouches for a week. Conclusion: The pressure should be quite high, otherwise it does not work.

5 Likes

Adding my 2cents here:

• I don’t remember why but I could not order the pads you listed in this post, so instead I bought those on Amazon and used the 0.5mm ones. I cut one just at the size of the connector (see image in the bullet below), removed the two plastic foils, and applied it on the back of the connector. So far so good, but I only had the ghost input issue once (although relying heavily on my phone, I preferred to fix it anyway)
  • While removing the screen, I noticed that there is already a small foam pad present. I could not take a picture - with the phone teared open it’s not easy - but one can see it on the ifixit.com tutorial, on this image, at the back of the screen on the left of the date, above the serial number. Mine had the date “2021.10.22”, ifixit.com one has “2021.09.24”. If yours don’t have the pad, maybe it’s a fix introduced lately. If it does well… that’s a bad feature ^^
    Hope it will help you!
2 Likes

Just to clarify: Hans didn’t suggest to use tape. Other users suggested to emulate his fix with tape. I did so too, but without any success worth mentioning. On the other hand; it seems I had a severe case. Will try to use Hans’ fix a precaution on my replacement device.

An update on my case: Support agreed to give me replacement device, which took a few days. I sent in my old phone and it took them a week to verify it was not usable. I did not receive an email about the replacement device being sent and so I asked about it. It seems it had been forgotten :slight_smile: Well, shit happens and we are all prone to mistakes. The replacement device arrived this week, a few days earlier than expected. So far I’m good.

I will still try try to order some foam stickers and apply them as a precaution because I too rely on a working mobile device.

For me the ghost touches appeared after I replaced the screen (broken after a fall). I noticed that the screen connector still wiggles after it snap closes.

I applied 4 layers of tape on the protruding little foam pad on the back of the screen.
For now, problem solved.
It’s only been a day, but if they reappear I will just increase the thickness/pressure.

1 Like

I am current waiting for support to get back to me about this as still under warranty. What is everyone’s experience with support. I’ve had no reply since 11/4 and have sent 3 replies back with no acknowledgement. I have raised a complaint with PayPal as well, so we’ll see how it goes. I just want a repair as if seems like a common fault that they’re dragging their feet with.

1 Like

No ack. from a person or even no ticket number? If you want to speed up its better to call, repeated Mails will just “spam” and go into the queue… Overall it was Eastern vacation time and its not even 7 days, so all normal (slow).

My fairphone 4 is also going wild. Does not seem to be good. Please bring an update to tackle this lack!

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

If I follow this topic right, it doesn’t look like a software issue. So it might not be possible to solve it with an update.

3 Likes

Please follow this instructions:
You have to open the case and get to the display connector. And then do the following:
I increased the pressure of the display connector about a week ago. With the old arrangement, I had ghost touches again and again. I have now used 2 layers of cardboard. This is about 1 mm thick. Before screwing on, I had switched on the mobile phone. I detected 2 bruises on the white display turned on. So the pressure was too strong.
I then loosened the two screws left and right, just up to the point where the pressure points disappeared. Result: No ghosttouches for two weeks. Conclusion: The pressure should be quite high, otherwise it does not work.

1 Like

I emailed support with this exact issue today.
I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling with this, it seems a far reaching issue for many of us.
I’ve yet to receive a response but I have read a ‘fix’ in this thread I could try.
Surely FP have a proper solution to this problem, it seems to have been going on for quite some time.

Thank you for this very valuable tip. I tightened the screws and noticed that they were tightened very weakly. Have the hand tight turned on, without violence. I’m curious if there’s any improvement in sight. I haven’t had a Ghost Touch yet :slight_smile:

Hi! I haven’t tried the fix so far, but I just wanted to add my personal experiences. I also started to have ghost inputs in the last month. I bought the phone in November 2022 and everything was fine until a month ago. It’s not at all serious at the moment - I might have the issue every 2 or 3 days and usually for less than 2 seconds: The phone reacts as if somebody swiped up and down or tapped rapidly in the center line of the screen. It might be the display connector, as some of you suggested. I dropped my ohones many times so far - sometimes being surprised that it wasn’t broken after the fall, so it might have loosened a connector a little.

I don’t use a screen protector and I use a silicon case from a no name brand, but it also happens without the case as far as I can tell. It happens without a connected charger and pushing the screen very strongly stops it, but just touching it slightly usually doesn’t, but just overrides the ghost input until I lift the finger again.

Interestingly, a similar behaviour occurs if I put my phone next to my induction stove while cooking (30 cm away from the active coil). I can’t confirm, however, if it’s also just in the center if the screen. I just wanted to reiterate this fact as many seem to ignore it. Could the issue be a combination of a faulty connection and strong EM fields?

1 Like

What I find interesting is that the period after the Android 12 update has come. Yes, maybe it’s a coincidence. Definitely an interesting theory with the EM field.
The behavior is identical to what you describe. I experienced exactly the same as probably some here.

A little feedback, after tightening the screws, I haven’t had a GhostTouch anymore.

1 Like