General Fairphone 3 discussion

I was looking into this the other day and I found out OTG is baked in USB-C. So if you just have a USB-C to female USB-A you have guaranteed “OTG” functionality.

Anyone who’s already seen it: is there a notification LED? I can’t see this from the description …

2 Likes

Yes, there is, look at the top module :wink:

3 Likes

USB-C indeed does not need a separate pin in the connector to make clear that a cable is OTG: devices can find out by themselves who is host and who is client on the cable.

Still, that does not mean that all phones actually support being a host. However given the FP2 supported OTG it would surprise me if the FP3 didn’t.

Yesterday at Fairphone I was told that one can use an OTG with a FP3.

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Does the FP3 have an FM radio?

Interestingly with those dates now it seems even if you order with resellers, you would not get it very much earlier than with the mid-September date directly from Fairphone (at least for those who ordered very quickly after the launch).
The September 4 date given at first for resellers implied otherwise.

2 Likes

I’ve heard rumours that there was a hiccup in production a while ago. Maybe they initially planned to have stock on launch day and to supply the resellers very soon after, but had to change their plans? Pure speculation of course (though such things happen often, as consumers we just don’t usually hear about it), but might explain why the dates are soon, but not 100% fixed.

@AnotherElk
True, but - just possibly - the resellers already have a longer list of preorders?

And I expect Fairphone to have a special order-line for resellers.
If e.g. memolife has lots of preorders and already sold the initially ordered batch, their next batch will surely not being shipped mid October.

1 Like

The first phones indeed go to resellers, probably because they have contracts with Fairphone to delivers a certain number of phones by a specific date. When resellers want something that had not been contracted beforehand, they probably have to wait just as long as us.

Of course this all boils down to making good estimates of FP3 sales for all the resellers. If they underestimated demand, then phones will go out of stock at resellers too.

1 Like

Well, I did not check for it.
But, as I posted above, the feature-list on the vireo homepage does list FM-radio (with RDS).
Memolife does not offer that kind of detailed information.

I can confirm from trying it out myself on an FP3, and after conferring with @AlbertJP who did the same, that individual SIM cards can be disabled. Only one can be disabled at a time, though both can be disabled by enabling airplane mode (in the FP2 wifi, BT and GPS can be turned back on while in airplane mode).

6 Likes

Would my fp1 charger and cable work as well on a fp3 if I bought a usb micro to usb c adapter? Many thanks for any help anyone may give.

I charged the FP3 with my 16 or 14 year old Apple iPod charger and a random USB-A-to-USB-C cable. I am certain the FP1 charger would work with the FP3 as well. Regarding the cable/adapter question, I cannot say for certain if it would definitely work for both energy and data (most likely yes).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply :+1:

It’s best to buy such an adapter in a way so that you can easily return it if it didn’t work.
I have a cheapo microUSB-USB-C adapter (was part of an adapter set) lying around which works for some devices, but not for others.

2 Likes

12 screws for the display. Let’s hope that’s rigid enough for all users.
A small phillips screwdriver is delivered instead of yet another usb charger.

Generally I think Fairphone has done a good job on following customer feedback, extracting lots of information out of this forum and detailed analysis of customer service /repair tickets.
All specs are just fine for me. Specifically dedicated sim slots + sd card slot. I believe the community will miss the extra pogo pins though.

@osilvab

According to this and this site most surely not as the modem is integrated in the main chip. Same game as with FP2 which most surely will remain for future developments → hence called SoC (system on chip). You see this is no clunky pc tower system. You would need a pin compatible successor chip AND also rework the entire main circuit board layout. I believe again the core module will have the highest environmental impact. So it is very unlikely to be done after some years.

As I could see it being disassembled in front of my eyes. Trust me it’s not more waterproof than FP2 was.

Yes it does as it’s actually the chip having it implemented.

@footar

5G - now?

Please enlighten me/us, for what? What do you miss that 4G could not do already?
As it seems you are not living in Germany. Otherwise you would be glad to even have access to 4G somewhere.
We have 2G around for the longest, 4G isn’t even available everywhere in the country to the contrary of what has been promised for those customers without access to high-speed cable network. So from my experience I can promise you, even in 5 years from now 4G will still be available and quite sufficient for most private needs.
Do you seriously believe globally several billions of smartphone keepers will switch so quickly from a 4G to a 5G capable phones within 5 years? Also considering the high price?
Maybe FP3 is not for you, but there are handsets out there offering 5G capabilities. Feel free to keep us updated how much their average price is atm. Many thanks in advance.

I guess this means NO, as “Dual SIM Dual Standby” or DSDS means one sim card at a time can utilize the modem. Otherwise it would be DSDA “Dual SIM Dual Active” (not only one but two individual modems integrated?).
But this is only from my understanding. Maybe someone here has a deeper insight how this could work.

But don’t forget the quantity. FP2 was manufactured in small batches. Not sure how FP3 is going to be manufactured, but may again not catch up with any mainstream phone quantities. This also has an impact on the price.

Yes it would, otherwise it already could have been done with the FP2.
Read on here why if you feel like.

Not at all

Well, looks like 5 years are nearly achieved - considering the phone was launched in 2015.
The decision was up to you if you bought it later. Support is counted from launch, not from purchase. Are you sure this is much different with Apple? So your daughter purchased her iPhone 5S brand new having received updates for 5 years now?

I think it is, at least in the Android universe, read on here if you like.

So what do you think - lesson learned or not?

@urs_lesse

Oh, only 200GB now? So they corrected their initial statement about expandability.

@madbilly

I first read USB-C with QC 3.0 support. But then it made me wonder as there was written a charge time of 3,5h. Doesn’t really sound like quick charging as even FP2 can charge quicker only having USB 2.

Eh! Where is this now?

I guess they specifically decided for this size to avoid damages from being held in garment pockets overheating and accumulating moist. Very foreseeing imho.

See links above; where Qualcomm states a slow motion video mode:

But as read from the FP3 specs this mode does not seem to be supported (maybe only a software thing just as with RAW images format)

It was altered since the initial launch date as I could realize (read above with @urs_lesse and his sd card). So maybe there were more alterations/corrections done meanwhile.
But yes, “FM-radio (with RDS)” is still listed by Fairphone for the newest FP3.

@Localagenda21

Generally should work, but maybe not in quick charge mode. Also depending on the power demand of the FP3 it may not be able to provide enough current to charge at all. Some users even had troubles with their old chargers not providing enough current to get the FP2 charged.

6 Likes

Yeah, around December 2020. So 15 months to go.

Yes, Apple builds up hype, and then sells the devices right after release. They keep the price stable afterwards whereas Samsung is known for putting their device up for less a few months after release. So the smart thing to do is buy the iPhone right away, or not at all.

The Netherlands, since 1 July 2019. 95 EUR fine :money_mouth_face:

As for the dual SIM you can regard it as a KVM where you press a button and you switch to a different computer. It is like that for the modem: press a button, and you switch from SIM1 to SIM2 (or the other way around). There’s no redundancy for the modem or the wires.

5 Likes

What I have understood from the FP team: both SIMs can connect to 4G at the same time, but only one at a time can have an active data connection. You can send/receive phonecalls on the other SIM regardless.

7 Likes

Hi all,
I have a few questions for anyone who can verify either with a real FP3 or by getting the answer direct from Fairphone staff (not their website - because it doesn’t in all cases agree with what they put in their press conference on the same day!). In general someone from Fairphone needs to go around all the websites of their resellers and all of the review/tech news websites and correct all the incorrect information.

So here are my questions:

So those were the questions about the oddities and inconsistencies. Here are more questions:

• Does the FP3 support any kind of TV-out over USB via an alternate mode? E.g. Displayport, HDMI or MHL? (We already talked about DisplayLink here:FP3 and HDMI output (USB3 or MHL), but that’s not a standard method)
  • Can anyone give full detail on which USB and NFC functions the FP3 supports?
  • Did FP succeed to get fair cobalt into the battery and to use recycled tin as well? The press conference and AMA session were very vague about this.

Cheers :slight_smile:

7 Likes