FP4: The specs and your opinions

Has anyone asked which version of the kernel will the FP4 ships with?
Did they say anything about Qualcomm’s software support?

4 Likes

Well I’m not here to say you shouldn’t complain, but equally not here to say what someone else should or shouldn’t do.

Even with a contract people only do their best to satisfy a customer and you are not a customer and have not contract…

It’s clearly not petty to you and Fairphone’s ethic are their ethics not yours or mine. Substituting what you seem as important isn’t ethical is it?? It just a consumer preference, with a load of old ethics.

I haven’t seen that question in chat. And it also wasn’t presented “on the show” (I think they read some question people posted on facebook - in advance? - etc.).

No.

But then, what percentage of (potential) customers would be interested in that?

Several of the questions that got answered were of the type one could have easily answered oneself if one either paid attention or would have checked the shop page.

It’s about the message they send to consumers. They released wired earbuds, they can’t be used normally with their new phone. This is contrary to their own vision.
I don’t care about any relativistic explanation about their ethics, I want the real explanation why they made this mistake.

3 Likes

I understand your concerns but I see no mistake.

I have no desire to control (should) or judge (mistake) another person’s actions, choices or dreams.

I bought the modular earphones and I can use them in multiple devices and use a cable adapter or bluetooth adapter if and when I buy an FP4 /5/6/7

It may be a little inconvenient for me, but my lifestyle is so inconvenient for most other’s on the planet that it’s not an ethical question, just a business one and not my business by choice.

2 Likes

There was one that asked about official work on mainline Linux kernel Support and libcamera for long time support without additional effort by fairphone but i didn’t see an answer to that yet.
Chat was auto Scrolling fast

I have never used any warranty on any phone, so it is completely irrelevant, imo.

1 Like

Then you are lucky, but it shows the confidence a manufacturer has in his product, when he promises to help you with it that long.

3 Likes

The idea that you can separate the business and ethical decisions is concerning in itself.
I appreciate you trying to engage with me, but I think we all should loudly proclaim what Fairphone ought to do and to keep them to their standards.
I want them to succeed, therefore the criticism.

1 Like

But will the android support last for that long? Seems very unlikely to me…

I agree that it is a sign of trust, but I haven’t checked the T&C of repairs, so it might change.

I don‘t get was is unethical about not having a built in headphone jack.

2 Likes

Lots op people have wired headphones. Fairphone themselves releases wired headphones. The new phone doesn’t have a headphone jack (and an adapter is not a good compromise). Therefore their phones becomes quasi unusable with an accessory they themselves released not too long ago.
This drives people to bluetooth headphones, which are more taxing environmentally and inferior sound quality wise to wired.
A cynic might even suggest they axed the jack to push their own wireless earbuds like every other brand before them.

3 Likes

I agree criticism is essential but in this case that would need to be addressed to Fairphone not the users, else it’s just winging, which is also fine but not ethical.

And again given you use of the word ‘should’ I will definitely not support you but rather argue against any efforts to garner support against Fairphone based upon your perception of their ethics.

“So while you point your fingers someone else is judging you” Bob Marley > Could You Be Loved 1979

I’ll try not to answer any response as I notice such conversations ruffle some feathers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I support their cause, but they need to commit to it fully as well. There are alternatives. People need to make out for themselves if the compromise of the jack is worth it or not.
See it as tough love, a lot of companies don’t need encouragement, they need a kick under their butt.

2 Likes

Fairphone 2 has been having 6 years of software support so long, and is still updated. Ok, there has been a one year gap in the updates, but isn’t that a sign Fairphone are ready and can do it with FP3 and FP4?

10 Likes

So does e.g. AVM with their successful product line.

1 Like

DuH! Who’s AVM ?? ??

Why this?
FP2 initially came with Android 5.2, now has Android 9…therefore seems very likely to me…

3 Likes

Never heard of those “Fritzbox” thingies? Pretty sure you did, but calling them Fritzbox seems most common.

2 Likes

It’s not a compromise, you are right, it’s a perfect working solution. And therefore the phone is not un- but perfectly usable.

1 Like