FP4: The specs and your opinions

@teezeh @Linn

It may be better discussed as @Incanus has directed, this topic is about the FP4 specs not an ethical issue about release dates.

Not that I haven’t been accused and guilty of off topic posts :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification, I understand better now. In fact, we think the same except on the fact that the FP3+ is a new model. It was a minor update. In my mind, this means a new model every two years.

I watched the live event and I think there will also be an FP4+…

3 Likes

I have actually – initially – shared the disappointment about a new phone launch after “just two years”.

However, in the meantime I have realized that this was also based on a false impression I had won from the long 39 month (excluding the final “Fairphone 2 New Life” edition) selling period of the FP2. From what I have heard recently, this was actually not intended, but rather accidental. Read: The (or at least an) FP3 was meant to be launched much earlier than it was eventually. Last but not least, delivery of the FP2 started almost exactly two years after FP1 delivery had started.

3 Likes

Yes, but that was necessary as the FP1 was more like a showcase and the software couldn’t maintained anymore.

2 Likes

There were remarks like this in the YT presentation chat as well. My clear opinion is “it’s not about the launch but about each individuals purchase”
If your phone is still in good shape and there are no urgent needs to replace it by a new model, why do it? Isn’t that actually the final step creating e-waste?
No one can tell you what future has in store and for how long one will have the “latest” product of a manufacturer. Development goes on and nothing lasts forever. With FP1+2 the company had to learn that their part quantities were to small for different suppliers to keep up production for several years which at some point forced Fairphone to realign their supply chain to stretch their goal of longer lasting and supporting their devices.
With only one model this surely was challenging. With more models and needs for (spare) parts suppliers probably can hold on longer to producing them helping to assure longevity.

I skipped the FP3 and FP3+. Why did I do so? It was my well reflected decision. Now my FP2 is 5+ years old. Although I met people at “Angels” meetings presenting their new device I never felt disappointed having purchased my FP2 years before. I’m resistant to such social pressure (I think often it’s about that matter and jealousy). In most cases successors are more advanced and better, but how should that work for any company:

How early beforehand would had been satisfying? 1 month, 6 months? Many companies keep such future plans information back specifically to also get their latest products sold. As it’s often expressed in their terms and conditions or datasheets “technical changes reserved”. And even this FP4 will turn old as time goes on, so should (potential) customers just wait until the next product? Will this then be the last one or age as well with time being succeeded by another again?

I think that’s the best way to go and appreciate and no other way I would take. Anyway I won’t dump my FP2 as it still works fine and is used for many things. Nevertheless five years development in this field is almost like decades in other fields. Imagine what has changed for conventional cars the last 10+ years. Now they can read emails to one - wow, what a leap but other than that still burning “something” to waste polluting and damaging the entire environment for the past century.
There are requirements forming and coming up in the future where my FP2 cannot cope with. Recent example the official Corona tracing app which requires fully implemented BT LE, which FP2 does not have. It’s not everywhere required yet to have at least one of such apps installed to gain permission or entry. But who knows what’s more to come for getting this global condition under better control. At first there was no speak of being forced to use these tracing apps, but reality turns out differently and it looks like there’s more to come.
Banking, cashless pay, you name it.

Yes, one may prefer to have two physical sim slots. Anyway at least it remains “dual-sim” + sd card slot having one as e-sim option.

I guess an Apple company device. If not, did you take a chance to express your thoughts there too?

…this one took me a while… :rofl:

You can pretty sure believe in this. I think the rocket now is lit and other manufacturers will again have to realize that their trend setting mindset is fading.

And how to place “opinions” in this topic? :wink:

With regard to the extended warranty:

• Buying an FP4 before 31st Dec 2023 over two years away gets a 4 warranty
  • Any purchase in the following three months only 3 years ???
  • then only two years

So in three months it drops from 4 years to 2 years.

Downsides:

• Notch (can be disabled in software)
  • No WiFi-6? The SoC does have 802.11ax-ready hardware, strange…
  • No OLED screen (quite old tech, my HTC Desire already had it)
  • No front facing stereo speakers (but it’s okay, it’s due to the modularity I guess)
  • No telelens (not a biggy, but would’ve been cool, even if it was an optional 4th camera module)

Upsides:

• Replaceable battery
  • Still a cool design considering it’s modular
  • 5 year support
  • MicroSD card slot
  • IP54
  • Sustainable and modular
  • Open source

I pre-ordered it… Really want to know how it is. Especially the smoothness and stability of the software (I’m used to a Pixel), the camera quality and the display. I like to read eBooks on my phone. The contrast of an OLED screen is amazing for that.

3 Likes

Do you mean can’t be disabled?

Unless I have completely misunderstood something, the notch is how the display is built, respectively where the camera is. So you can’t disable it.

1 Like

Perhaps there is a setting that “submerges” the notch in a black bar all across the top end of the screen? So of course it would still be there, but visually disappear in a black bar.

3 Likes

But you can make it (nearly) invisible by software. The area around it will be filled with black content.

1 Like

I think this is the physical edge of the display…

Ah, now i got it…
So after that you have a “smaller” display

[Edit] But why would you do that?

1 Like

I wouldn’t, but some people find notched really ugly.

3 Likes

Adapters are a bad user experience. There is no good reason to not include it. It remains a stupid decision and an unnecessary compromise.

2 Likes

The good reason is, that not everyone needs it.

2 Likes

That’s why i wrote sim card slot. My SIM card doesn’t fit in an e-sim slot :slight_smile:

It’s indeed a company device. I had to choose between apple or google and is was the least privacy invasive option if apple’s marketing is anywhere close to reality. The company did provide me with the adapter to attach a charger and headphones at the same time, and it made me aware that i never want something that needs that again, it’s that annoying.

Oops, got me there :slight_smile: I guess it should be “i’m using both” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not everyone needs Bluetooth, not everyone needs display out. Yet, you want these in your phone for versatility. It’s a feature a lot of people DO use. That Fairphone of all brands cuts this is simply incomprehensible and I’d like to have attended the meeting where this lapse of judgment occurred.

2 Likes

Wow where else would you like to have been to change the course of history, I’m sure there are far more places you would have liked to have an impact. I’m sure a headphone jack was low down on your challenges of keeping people happy. :slight_smile:

It’s a little bit sad but not at all bad, so be glad you weren’t there and overruled.

2 Likes

I know it seems very petty. But this move is basically pulling an Apple or a Samsung. Fairphone claims to hold highers standards, then they should be held to them. If they don’t put their ethics first, then I’ll buy my phone elsewhere.
I really wanted to get a Fairphone when my current phone becomes unusable, but they’re just off the table until they reverse this error.

1 Like