FP4 Root Access is possible, maybe a bit risky

If your device is already rooted (and still bootable) the process is even easier:

• Restore images in Magisk, run the OTA and don’t reboot
  • Check your slot with adb shell 'getprop | grep slot' (we want the other one)
  • dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_[other_slot] of=/sdcard/FPOS-[version]-boot.img
  • Run Magisk with the OTA option
  • dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_[other_slot] of=/sdcard/FPOS-[version]-magisk-boot.img
  • adb pull /sdcard/FPOS-[version]-boot.img && adb pull /sdcard/FPOS-[version]-magisk-boot.img

Yes that is also working. But is the kernel image already updated after the OTA process and before the final reboot? That would make it much easier, to regain root after the upgrade

It is, the (delta) OTA update takes the stuff in your current slot, applies its patches to it and writes the results to the unused slot.
Apart from some stuff that can be run after the OTA (if needed), the update is basically finished before you reboot.

2 Likes

OK, I was not aware that I could extract to boot image from the unused slot before the reboot. That makes it even easier to root after the OTA with some steps less. :+1:

Hallo everyone, I have a brand new FP4 which I rooted with magisk after unlocking the bootloader. Non change in recovery.

I see now that an update to version TP25.C.095 is available, but I have no idea of how it works on a rooted phone. Will it complete or should I remove root first and then re-root again? Or is it better not to update at all?

Thanks

Aniello

I moved your post, please see solution in the first post here

Hmm… with latest OTA it is broken again :roll_eyes: :cry:

I had the same issues again. The only modules activated was Zygisk - LSPosed (and maybe Systemless Hosts)

For me it never really worked from the first OTA update onwards. So I am not trying it anymore at all and re-root the system after every update. I did not see any chance to analyze this deeper and find the root cause for such behavior, at least with the time I am willing to spend on it :wink:

1 Like

Hi to all
when I follow the first step I get this message:
…Stock backup does not exist…

It is Magisk v27 installed. Might it be that the menues changed?

I found this link from CalyxOs and downloaded the Inkremental Package. Is that the wrong one?

If not, what if I skip some of the incremental packages and try to install the 3.rd or 4.th package, will it work?

Is there a possibility to disable the “auto system updates” of CalyxOs?

Can you describe the state you are coming from and what you plan to do / what you wanna achieve?

You have CalyxOS installed on your FP5 and it is already rooted and now you wanna update via OTA (and keep root)?

E.g. I don’t get why you want to download the OTA (incremental) package manually. What do you plan to do with it?

The CalyxOs on the FP4 is succesfully rooted. CalyxOs 5.6.2.

Now I would like to update to the CalyxOs 5.6.3 without losing Data and the root rights.

I have read, that since root is active, the OTA Updates do not work. So I tried to follow the steps for rooted devices.

Now I understood the 3 instruction steps better. So you mean I do not need to download the incremental updates manually!? They can be downloaded as usually, 2.nd step.

But nevertheless I think I fail with the first step because I got this message in Magisk which does not look sucefull feedback for the 1.st step.
Why the 1.st step fails?

Hm indeed a bit strange. Tbh I cannot tell why you cannot restore the previous image. My first guess would be that you rooted the device a bit differently and now the image to restore is not available. :man_shrugging:

Maybe @hirnsushi has an idea?

Normally CalyxOS will tell you when it cannot install the Update (at least his was the case for me when I had it on my FP4). So you can at least try to just go to

Settings → System → System updates

and download and install the OTA Update.
When it has issues with root it will fail to install the update and tell you.
If it works I would just install magisk to inactive slot as described before reboot.

If you missed that - just root again :wink: - I still recommend the method from the first post (the one with only booting from a magisk patched image and then install magisk via app): How to root the FP5 and OTA update - at your own risk

Can you tell (if you remember) if this was the way you rooted the first time?

I’ve moved your posts to this topic since we are clearly talking about a FP4.

There’s two reasons this can happen:

1. You installed Magisk via a different method than outlined in the forum (e.g. flashed the boot.img directly)
  2. You updated your Magisk installation to a new version without restoring the image first. Magisk will make a backup of your current boot partition so if you don’t restore before an update you’ll end up with a backup that won’t get you back to stock.

Either way you’ll have to flash the boot.img that matches the Calyx version you currently have installed to get OTA going again.

You answered your own question here, those are incremental updates, they build on top of each other.
(There are also full OTAs on that same page that also only work from one version to the next but don’t rely on the partitions on your phone. Those would work in your case, here’s how you’d install those, but remember backups, backups, backups!)

Don’t! Just get your update procedure in order and look out for Magisk updates, you want those security fixes :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

In fact I did installed Magisk via a different way. I have installed it in that way:

1. Patch the downloaded stock boot.img with Magisk
  2. Transfer / adb pull that patched boot.img (magisk output file: magisk_patched_[random_strings].img) to your PC
  3. Reboot to fastboot adb reboot bootloader and
    did not made the following:
    temporarily boot from the patched boot.img fastboot boot /path/to/patched_boot.img
    instead:
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img
    4.Do not flash that boot.img!!!* → Here it is meant not to flash the “patched boot.img” in other words “magisk_patched_[random_strings].img
  4. did not executed this one:
    Do not flash that boot.img!!!* Wait for the device to boot (took a bit longer than usual)
    Open the Magisk app (press Cancel when asked to perform Additional Setup), choose direct install and reboot

What would be the most elegant / efficient way to fix my state?

The easiest way would be to download the Calyx factory images for your current version (5.6.2 in your case), take the boot.img from there and flash that via fastboot flash.
That should get OTA going again, afterwards you can re-root with the procedure outlined in this thread.

If it doesn’t work and OTA still complains you have some other partition that doesn’t pass the checksum test (hopefully not :crossed_fingers:). In that case we’d have to look at logcat / you’ll need to sideload a full OTA, or worst case complete reinstall.

But before you do anything, make sure you have proper backups!

I have made the corrections.

fastboot flash boot.img (the original not the patched)

Rooted the device according to the insctructions, boot temporarily to with the patched boot.img.

Start to uptdate according to the insctructions.
In Magisk when “Install to Inactive Slot (Atfer OTA)”, I got the log at the end:
! Unable to download bootctl
! Installation failed

What should I do now?

Did you run the OTA update between these steps, that’s why were doing all this, isn’t it?! :nerd_face:

So what state is your phone in rn, did you actually install Magisk or are you only fastboot booting it? :thinking:

Depends, did you install Magisk completely?
→ Restore the stock boot.img in Magisk, run OTA, install Magisk to the other slot (OTA instructions basically, rerun if you get errors)

Only running a temporarily rooted system?
→ Reboot into an unrooted system, run OTA, follow the regular rooting process

I have rooted my device according the instructions in this forum. And than started the update process also according to the instructions in this forum.

I rerun this step:
“Install to Inactive Slot (Atfer OTA)”,
two times. And got in both cases the failed status back.

I was not patient to wait a question. And reboted the device. No Brick, Root Rights still present, and the new version is 5.6.3.
I will observe this behaviour during the next update.

Thks a lot so far! :+1:

Otherway round would have been easier :smirk:

In the future you’ll only have to follow the OTA instructions. If there’s a Magisk version update don’t forget to restore the image beforehand as well (don’t install to the other slot in that case).

Otherwise you should be fine, I’ve been running CalyxOS like that since it got released for the FP4, never had any issues :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes