🇬🇧 đŸ‡«đŸ‡· FP4 Random reboots in Monaco

(French below)
Hello,

I’m living in France and working in Monaco. When in this country, I experience randomly a short full-freeze (maybe 3 seconds) followed by a reboot. It happens several times a day, sometimes 4 times during my lunch break. It never happens in France (or really rarely).
My operator is Bouygues from France (which has antennas on the other side of the border I think). I usually get the 3G, and sometimes a quite unstable 4G (quite common for foreigners).
My build number is FP4.SP29.B.069.20230510 . I bought my phone in December 2022. I think that I did not have the issue at the beginning and it started with an update, but not sure at all.

I tried several things without success:

• enabling only 2G/3G (I don’t have 5G subscription)
  • disabling roaming
  • forcing Bouygues 3G network
  • disabling 4G calls and MMS
    I’m also using a bluetooth Shokz headset. I don’t have stats with bluetooth disabled.
    I used once Wi-Fi and no 3G/4G a day and had no crash I think, but I need to retry to be sure. (it would not be a solution, I only have wi-fi at work)
    I don’t have any logs of the system yet to track what happens before the last reboot.

I’m out of ideas and it’s very annoying (even if the reboot is quite fast). Any additional idea is welcome.

– French version –

J’habite en France et je travaille Ă  Monaco. Dans ce pays, je subis alĂ©atoirement des freezes courts (peut-ĂȘtre 3 secondes) suivi d’un redĂ©marrage. Cela arrive plusieurs fois par jour, parfois 4 fois pendant ma pose dĂ©jeuner. Cela n’arrive jamais en France (ou vraiment rarement).
Mon opérateur est Bouygues (qui a des antennes du cÎté français je crois). Je reçois habituellement la 3G, parfois de la 4G bien instable (assez courant pour les étrangers).
Mon numĂ©ro de build est FP4.SP29.B.069.20230510 . J’ai achetĂ© mon FP4 en dĂ©cembre 2022. Je pense que je n’avais pas le problĂšme au dĂ©but et que ça a dĂ©marrĂ© avec une mise Ă  jour, mais pas sĂ»r du tout.

J’ai essayĂ© plusieurs choses sans succĂšs:

• activer seulement la 2G/3G (je n’ai pas d’abonnement 5G)
  • dĂ©sactiver l’itinĂ©rance
  • forcer le rĂ©seau Bouygues 3G
  • dĂ©sactiver rles appels 4G et les MMS
    J’utilise aussi des Ă©couteurs Shokz bluetooth. Je n’ai pas de stats avec le bluetooth dĂ©sactivĂ©.
    Une fois j’ai utilisĂ© le Wi-Fi sans 3G/4G pendant un jour et je n’ai pas eu je crois de reboot, mais je dois rĂ©essayer pour ĂȘtre sĂ»r (ça ne serait pas une solution, je n’ai du Wi-Fi qu’au bureau).
    Je n’ai pas de logs systùme pour suivre ce qui a pu se passer avant le dernier reboot.

Je suis Ă  court d’idĂ©es et c’est trĂšs ennuyant (mĂȘme si le reboot est bien rapide). Toute idĂ©e est bienvenue.

Update: logcat data

07-04 14:11:47.789  3544  3544 F libc    : Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -1 (SI_QUEUE) in tid 3544 (init), pid 3544 (init)
07-04 14:11:47.812  3544  3544 F libc    : crash_dump helper failed to exec, or was killed
1 Like

Have you contacted your provider about this and how old is the SIM card?

1 Like

Hi, I did not try to contact my provider (I don’t expect any help).
My SIM card is 2 years old. Random reboots is unheard from colleagues with the same provider with a phone from a different brand (I did not have any particular issue with my previous phone (a Galaxy A5 2017) with the same SIM card.
I forgot to say I don’t have any SD card.

The provider has to do their part of homework to support a device properly. Also, even if a SIM works in another phone it not mean its not faulty. So I would contact the provider and Fairphone support.

1 Like

Quite likely. Taken with (?) no problems when not using mobile data, for me this points to an adjustment required either on the carrier side or FP side, possibly both, but they need to talk, so I’d advise contacting both. Check which carrier you’re using on the Monaco side, but equipment and configurations may vary even with a single operator.

Today I disabled the 3G/4G and used only the Wi-Fi and did not have any reboot.
I did not try yet the Safe Mode (as suggested as a preliminary step of support), so I’ll do that next week and contact the Fairphone support if the problem is still there (I bet it will).
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

1 Like

The same thing happened to me both abroad ( Cech Republic) & in the UK
 what makes this so serious is that it is location dependent
 to travel on a trailway journey - it will start rebooting in one area and then be OK in another, bad luck if you get off in an area that is affected - there is no fix other than disable the phone. I replaced the SIM and did a hard reset to try to fix it

After this, and the brightness bug where it is unusable outdoors , I sadly relegated the FP4 to being a spare :-/

:thinking: That’s strange, because AFAIK there are people in the UK having the FP4, if there was a specific issue with the local network(s) they would had already spotted it.

You said “abroad”, this means your phone is roaming: Have you checked which operator it uses when this happens? Is there a specific one, or does it happen with several different?

The strange thing is you said that you tried disabling roaming and still had crashes, despite still using the french Bouygues network. What is the difference between using Bouygues in Monaco, and using Bouygues a couple kilometers away in France? :open_mouth:

You’ve mentioned “unstable 4G”, but that doesn’t necessarily explain anything either. I’m sure there are lots of FP4 users with unstable Bouygues 4G connections in France, they would had noticed if this would consistently cause crashes.

So, what is the special, Monaco-specific thing which causes your FP4 to crash?

You say working in Monaco, so you clearly spend a lot of time there. Are you sure your phone only crashes while in Monaco? Does it perhaps crash just as often in France, but you don’t notice it (because you don’t need it so much while at home for instance)?
FP4s do experience the occasional unexplained random crash, yours might be starting to get specially “touchy”.

I don’t know how is organized the network in Monaco. I don’t know if Bouygues have towers within the country, or if from the neighborhood of my office I get cells located in France. Given that I never had any roaming message and that my phone always displays « Bouygues », it would say I only get Bouygues network.
Note that in some parts of the “country” (it’s more like a town), many people with French providers stop getting any network. It’s my case with Bouygues (and I think it’s the same with Free).

Sorry for not being precised enough, I did not want my message to become too long. I meant than in Monaco, my phone (and my previous Samsung phone) switches between Bouygues 3G and Bouygues 4G. The 3G is more stable, but with 4G I sometimes lose the data connectivity for a moment (a least 1 minute) and then either the data is back or it switches to 3G. I don’t witness such problem in France.

I’m 100% sure it happens only in Monaco, or much much more frequently in Monaco. My use is of my phone is:

• 2 days a week in Monaco, on 3G/4G => several crashes a day (I would say roughly 6; more frequent when I use data like listening podcasts or browsing, but I can happen randomly, maybe when apps communicate in the background). Note that the network does not send my any message that I’m roaming.
  • at home, I’m always in Wi-Fi. So I expect no crash. I would notice: I need to enter the PIN code for a complete reboot.
  • outside, in France (when doing sports, groceries, commuting
) I get no crash.
  • I was recently for 3 weeks in RĂ©union island (French island in Indian ocean), which is considered as roaming (I got the pricing message when I arrived and the displayed network name changed). I got no crash (or so rare that I cannot remember).

Yes, such a number of reboots is annoying as one can guess. Not to the point that I would switch to my previous phone back, but annoying is several scenarios.

Me neither. I haven’t been there for at least 10 years now. You say there is no roaming message, so it seems there is some agreement through which French operators cover it just like the French territory.

That’s normal, it chooses the best option, and if it’s not working falls back to the inferior one. That shouldn’t make your phone crash, it’s something happening all the time (except in a big city). I live (mostly) in the boonies and have my fair share of “phone looking for a reliable connection” (FP4 too, Orange FR).
Meaning that this shouldn’t (normally) be the cause of the crashes.

As much as it pains me, I think your only hope is to check with Bouygues
 :flushed:
It seems they do something special with their network relays inside Monaco, something the FP4 apparently doesn’t like

I had the same problem in both at home (EE in the UK ) and when roaming (Czechia - O2? )

In both countries the problem is very localised, and worked fine in some areas
 so very weird - never seen anything like it

:thinking: That would mean it depends on specific conditions being met.
I’d suggest both you and @Veloman contact support (with as precise information as possible, including use of 5G or not), because this might indeed be fixed in some future network driver update.

If it doesn’t only happen in Monaco and/or Bouygues, it must be due to the FP4 not playing nice with some specific-but-not-uncommon network setting.

Bonjour Ă  tous,

J’ai exactement le mĂȘme soucis avec mon FP4 qui jusqu’à il y a quelques jours fonctionnait parfaitement bien.

Je pense avoir trouvĂ© d’oĂč viens le problĂšme et ce qui provoque les reboot intempestifs.

Depuis la derniĂšre mise Ă  jour, les options Volte et Vowifi sont disponible chez Free et donc, il y a quelques jours, j’ai activĂ© l’option Wifi Calli et dans les paramĂštres, j’ai sĂ©lectionnĂ© ‘’ Appels via le Wi-Fi : Si le rĂ©seau wifi n’est pas disponible, utiliser le rĂ©seau mobile’'. Afin que le FP4 bascule sur les appels wifi lorsque je suis chez moi oĂč je ne capte pas trĂšs bien.

Avec cette option activĂ©e, lorsque le tĂ©lĂ©phone capte mal le rĂ©seau et que le wifi est dĂ©sactivĂ©, le tĂ©lĂ©phone freeze puis reboot mĂȘme si vous avez du rĂ©seau.

Depuis que j’ ai remis les rĂ©glages par dĂ©faut ‘’ appels via le rĂ©seau mobile, les reboots ont disparus.

J’espùre que cela aidera certains.

1 Like

Avez-vous essayer d’installer la derniùre version de juin 2023 ?

Je suis déjà sur la version de juin.

J’ai toutes les options possibles dĂ©sactivĂ©es (appels wi-fi
).
Le support m’a proposĂ© de rĂ©initialiser les options APN du rĂ©seau. Hier j’ai eu 2 reboots. Mais lors des 2 jours prĂ©cĂ©dents Ă  Monaco j’avais aussi eu moins de reboots qu’auparavant. Je vais tester encore un jour, puis je vais essayer une esim data d’un autre rĂ©seau. Le support m’a suggĂ©rĂ© de tester une autre sim d’un autre rĂ©seau mais je ne peux pas emprunter la sim de quelqu’un d’autre pendant une journĂ©e.

Bonjour,

Aprùs quelques jours sans soucis, les reboots intznpestifs sont revenus
, je vais donc contacter le support

Salut ,

As tu tester le mode sécurisé (ou safe mode) ?

Ayant les mĂȘmes soucis de reboot que toi , j’ai essayĂ© le mode sĂ©curisĂ© qui dĂ©marre ton tel avec les applis par defaut sont actives uniquement, afin d’éviter qu’une appli corrompu fasse planter le tel .

Cela me permet de constater que lorsque j’utilise la 5g comme mode de connexion, le tel fini par rebooter .

Lorsque je suis connecté en wifi , pas de reboot !

Tente cette manip, tu verra ainsi si ton soucis viens de ta Sim ou d’une appli.

Pour démarrer en mode sécurisé :

Si votre téléphone est allumé

1. Appuyez sur le bouton d’alimentation pour activer l’écran.

2. Appuyez et maintenez enfoncĂ© le bouton power pendant environ 1 seconde. Une fenĂȘtre contextuelle s’ouvrira, affichant l’option Éteindre .

3. Appuyez et maintenez Éteindre pendant quelques secondes.

4. Vous verrez une fenĂȘtre contextuelle RedĂ©marrer en mode sans Ă©chec . Appuyez sur OK

5. Votre appareil démarrera en mode sans échec . Vous verrez les mots Mode sécurisé dans un champ de texte en bas.

Si votre téléphone est éteint

1. Appuyez et relĂąchez le bouton power pour allumer le tĂ©lĂ©phone. L’écriture Fairphone apparaĂźtra.

2. AprĂšs la disparition de l’écriture Fairphone, l’animation bleue commence. DĂšs que cela se produit, maintenir enfoncĂ© le bouton Volume bas et continuer jusqu’à ce que votre appareil dĂ©marre.

3. Si tout s’est bien passĂ©, dans un champ de texte gris en bas Ă  gauche de votre Ă©cran, les mots 'Mode sĂ©curisĂ© sont inscrits.
    Si vous ne les voyez pas, éteignez votre appareil et réessayez.

A+

Oui, j’avais essayĂ© le Safe Mode, ça a reproduit le problĂšme. J’ai ouvert Chrome et ai naviguĂ© le plus vite possible dans des pages WikipĂ©dia, et en quelques secondes ou minutes j’avais le crash.
Mon plan est d’essayer encore 2j Ă  Monaco (actuellement j’ai 2 crashs par jour). Puis de prendre une eSIM data Free/SFR et de tester encore (en mettant ma SIM actuelle dans mon ancien tĂ©lĂ©phone).

Ok,

Mais d’aprĂšs ce que je lis c’est que tu as testĂ© en 4g ou 5g , pas en wifi ?

Je disait juste , de te connecter en wifi au lieu de la 5g et de voir si tu as les mĂȘmes reboot, histoire de bien ĂȘtre sĂ»r que c’est la carte sim qui est en faute .