Random reboots After android 13 update

Buy an Fairphone, we will update it to an already old Android version and break your phone in the process. You get an broken phone from the get go, with no commuication, but hey, you can change your USB slot…

I don’t think the philosopy behind right to repair and sustainabiliy is to sell things that are broken right out of the store?

I don’t get, what you are trying to express. Which broken phone? Which old Android? Most Fairphones are working flawlessly. In a forum of course all with problems are coming together.

4 Likes

Mine is running now for 78 hours with FP4.TP1X.C.079.20231013. Deutsche Telekom, 5G enabled. No sudden reboots, even with roaming in France. Still not tested in train (comes tomorrow)

Edit: unfortunately first reboot now :woozy_face:

It’s on their issue tracker. Their issue tracker that seemingly doesn’t render as it should on mobile devices. The irony.

2 Likes

I had the first sponteanous reboot today. and I have 5G disabled as my llan does not support it anyway. The workaround is not working for me

Uh-oh. Strange.
First mention (I’ve seen) of apparently-5G-related reboots was in July here. It seemed that specific issue was indeed 5G related, but also happened way before the A13 rollout and (apparently) wasn’t fixed by A13.
Meaning it’s totally independent of A13.

Now those new cases of reboots happening only after A13 most likely have a totally different cause (i.e. not be 5G-related).

Fairphone should consider those two reboot problems as two different issues, having similar symptoms but completely different causes, else they won’t ever manage to fix them.
Just my 2 cents worth.

1 Like

We have several statements above that turning off 5G helps and the amount of people reporting the issue increased after the A13 upgrade, as you can see.

So even if there were a few cases before and for some it might not be triggered by 5G its still the most common culprid found so far.

2 Likes

Decided to give it another try after the latest update.
So far, no restarts for about 20 hours. 5G on, VoLTE on, Wifi/5G switching regularly.
I have good hopes :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I experienced the same problem. (since the Android 13. update at october 2.)
Sometimes it is rebooting in a loop which can take over 20 minutes then 5 ninutes okay and another 20 minutes of rebooting looping. :frowning:

I hoped it would have been solved with the next update, but that was a few days ago, and still suffering the same problem.

I use the phone for work, and not being able to call (back) a customer for at least 30 minutes is driving me nuts.
Reading this topic, I will try to switch of 5G, but I hope for a good updte which solves the problem.

But 5G cannot be the only issue. I’ve never experienced any sudden reboots and I am on 5G pretty much all the time, when I am not at home.

1 Like

No one said that 5G is the only reason, it might very well be provider, setting or whatever specific. Still turning off 5G for those affected helped in I would say most cases, so it remains the common culprit from current knowledge here in this topic.

Its important everyone affected contacts support to provide as much information as possible.

Alright then. In between this topic, 5G sometimes seemed to be THE cause, resulting in people complaining about Fairphone for rolling out A13 “anyways”. Of course, I can understand anyone’s frustrations, but personally, I am more than happy to finally have A13.

Oh, great, so they updated the list on Friday and added this issue. So they officially admitted the problem. Good first step.

1 Like

Sarcasm on // Then Fairphone has recognised the problem at the speed of light // Sarcasm off

2 Likes

Fairphone 4.
Fairphone has been very slow updating their phone to Android 13.

First of they where very slow to update to use the hotspot 5 Ghz, then they where very slow to update the automatic screen dimminig in summertime (warm phone) which made the screen almost unreadably in sunlight. Then they introduces this bug, i made a it reboots several times a day for me, one day up to 11 reboots in one day. It’s terrible. I do expect a phone for several hundred dollars to have the basic funtionality to work out of the box, and any bugs which renders the phone partly useless fixed ASAP.

I really don’t want to ditch this phone, but my patience is running low with Fairphone. I’ll probably wait until the next update and hope that it’s fixed then,

2 Likes

To my knowledge it was there before last Friday. Not sure if that’s better or worse.

The page says last update 10 Nov. And I checked about a week or 2 ago amd it wasn’t listed.

So it is definitively better. No completely random reboots so far .
However I had two reboots on unlocking the phone which has not happened in 2 years before.
Very strange and annoying.
My case with support has not seen any update yet so I guess there hasn’t been anything changed in the latest firmware update.

For transparency: the issue was indeed reported during the beta testing phase, and it has been thoroughly investigated but given its nature, it was impossible to reproduce internally and it could have been related to a fault of the beta tester device that originally reported the issue.

In fact, the initial inputs and evidence that came from the beta testing group have been precious to speed up the later investigation.

These kinds of issues are quite complicated to investigate and we are working really hard to identify the root cause and provide you with a stable fix (I can guarantee that we are making progress).

Just wanted to stress that the beta testing program, as well as the issues reported to our customer support team, is crucially helpful in squashing early issues and we take it with seriousness :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Sure, but helps with what exactly? :thinking:

• There is clearly a new (as in: “wasn’t there before”) epidemic of reboots, which appeared after the A13 update. Let’s call them “A13-related reboots”.
    • Cases of random reboots have already existed before A13, and those were indeed 5G-related. But they can’t be A13-related, since they already existed on A12, and A13 didn’t fix or worsen them. Let’s call them “5G-related reboots”.

There are clearly two different issues, and making a convenient hodgepodge of those (probably unrelated) issues doesn’t help anybody: Magical thinking hasn’t ever fixed anything.
On the contrary, it will prevent us from understanding the reasons of those new, A13-related reboots.
I’d suggest to not follow the usual SOP of stuffing everything in one ragbag thread, but to make two different threads, preventing frustration and allowing people to progressively understand how their problem works and what their options are.
Again, just my 2 cents worth.

TL;DR: Reasons to believe there are 2 different issues both causing reboots:

• 5G-related reboots are clearly tied to specific locations and operators: Connecting to a specific mast will reboot your phone, but else it works as expected. A13-related reboots on the other hand are apparently location-independent and seem random (so far).
  • People with A13-related reboots report having 5G disabled and yet still experiencing reboots. Unlike people suffering from 5G-related reboots, for which switching off 5G apparently fixes the issue (no more reboots).
  • Last but not least, people with A13-related reboots report their problem only started after the A13 update, while 5G-related reboots already happened back on A12.
    :man_shrugging:
1 Like