FP4: Google-free Android

I am not @AlphaElwedritsch, so the question doesn’t go to me, but I’d like to share some things that I don’t like about/e/. Be aware, this is only my personal view.

• For a long time there was no way to install the Corona Warn App, as the /e/-foundation refused to implement the necessary parts of microG (please correct me if I tell something wrong, but this is the way I remember it).

• The forks of the standard Apps (OpenCamera, K9) were incredibly outdated: the camera crashed when taking HDR-pictures, K9 was unable to save attachments. The answer of the developers was something like “feel free to use the original apps instead of our baked-in ones”. What is the point of bundeling non-removable broken apps and tell users not to use them? (With iodé you can choose which system app you would like to have installed).

• Many updates went wrong such that the phones didn’t start and some users lost data (including me). The quality control is (was?) catastrophic.

• An update of the cloud services went wrong and they were offline for several days which is not funny if you have data there which you need. You could of course argument that you shouldn’t store necessary data there, but what is the point of a cloud storage if you can’t store important data and trust a good availability?

• The non-open-source navigation app Magic Earth is bundled and can’t be uninstalled. Iodé ships it, too, but you can choose not to install it. Iodé in the other Hand has the blocker which is not open source, too and can’t be uninstalled.

• Bugs like a heavy drain of the battery (like 6 hours standby with my FP3) were not resolved for several weeks.

In the beginning I supported the organization by purchasing a storage plan, but I realized that it doesn’t fulfill my needs. Others may have of course have a different view and experiences.

5 Likes

No, not a problem of microG. They are doing their job. But /e/ is not able to do the job right and implement/update to a actual microG version. In most of the cases they are lagging miles behind.

correct. And that’s the reason why i choose another nextcloud provider for just a few euros per month. Stock nextcloud and not another /e/ fork.

Of course that wasn’t microG’s fault. /e/ somehow wanted to split microG to make the corona tracing part installable separately.

1 Like

Which one did you choose?

Sorry, this is OT, I’ll stop here.

1 Like

/e/ have just announced that they’ll start the pre-order phase for the “Murena FP4” today.

That posting refers to an upcoming newsletter but that link is not - yet - valid.

Edit: on Twitter I saw that shipment is supposed to start January 11th, 2022.

I have to admit I don’t know how they handled the downloadable version for self-installing in the past. But in any case I assume it won’t be too far before or after this date.

8 Likes

:laughing:

:tada: We will be publishing the Murena Fairphone 4 for pre-order in Europe later today

As usual, soon . . . maybe . . . sometime . . . “pre order” seems 2-3 month :wink:

1 Like

What are you talking about? The pre-order is there and the shop page says “Ships from 10 January 2022”

For some reasons pre-ordering from France isn’t possible yet. I only saw the FP4 on the shop front page once I selected my location (Germany in this case).

6 Likes

You follow the link? Nice picture but nothing hapends :wink:
And in the “real” shop is nothing with FP4 :-1:

Edith say, to early :roll_eyes:

Works as intended …

4 Likes

OK, now it works and i kill the link in my post :wink:
We will see when the software is available for “all”.
Another or next phone I do not need realy :wink:

Seems like the /e/ install files for the FP4 will get published today

8 Likes

great news! :star_struck:
Since /e/OS is a fork of LineageOS, do you think a version of LineageOS will be released at the same time as this version of /e/OS ?

EDIT - It seems that this will be the case:

I don’t see how my quote says that it will come at the same time. But it will come.

2 Likes

I misinterpreted your answer then, I thought you were explaining that it happened like that when FP3 versions were released. Sorry :frowning:
I’m just trying to understand how the development of /e/OS works : since it’s a fork of LineageOS, is it necessary that LineageOS is up and running before developing /e/OS ?

By the way, /e/OS for FP4 has just been released: Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP4 - “FP4”

What about Corona Contact Tracing Germany? It’s a CWA fork using microG.

https://f-droid.org/de/packages/de.corona.tracing/

1 Like

Yes, that fork works very well besides the official German App, but not every Corona tracing App from every country had the luxury of having such an unofficial degoogled fork.

Ah, perhaps I could have repeated some context to be clear.

What happened was that while LineageOS already was in the works by committed enthusiasts on the Fairphone 3, /e/OS was ported to the phone independently by developers of the e foundation, and /e/OS came first, and then LineageOS porting efforts on the Fairphone 3 profited from the work done for /e/OS to get LineageOS official (in their terms) … there’s a short mention here: [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 16.0 for FP3.

So, what I was saying was that either by the LineageOS port succeeding by itself, or by the /e/OS port succeeding and thus being available for reference (since /e/OS is based on LineageOS), official (in their terms) LineageOS should somewhen be available on the Fairphone 4.
Today /e/OS became available for the Fairphone 4.

2 Likes

Yes, it is! And no problems at all installing eOS on FP4 - thanks to all who did it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

same experience as @bjoern52. installation went smoothly. only app that does not seem to work is osmand+

1 Like