FP3 Slow Charging

Welcome to the community forum!
I moved your post here to avoid duplicates. Please have a look around.

Thank you! Oh dear, seems to be a common problem.

7 people (or 8 perhaps) have reported the problem in this thread. Itā€™s not really what I call common.

I actually thought about something my brother told me, namely that USB-C can be plugged in two different ways, one for regular charging and one for fast charging. I can not confirm though and I donā€™t own a FP3. What happens if you plug the USB-C cable the other way round?

Else, as said higher in the topic, did you #contactsupport or a #fairphoneangel?

Iā€™m having the same issue, started with the android 10 update, along with some other bugs

Thank you. Yes, I immediately contacted support. So far no solution from them.
If I plug it the other way round it is the same. The only thing that helps so far is plugging it in and out and in and out until it changes to ā€œcharging normallyā€. Can take some minutes.

1 Like

I know that weā€™re not talking about a Fairphone 2 here, but nevertheless: has anyone here tried swapping their bottom module with one of another Fairphone user or one of the #fairphoneangels?

3 Likes

Actually I got that problem as well yesterday and to day and it seems it randomly charging fast :frowning: I used android 10 and consider get a fairphone from e foundation store for see it works different?

This should not be an OS issue, so I guess this wont help. But see my other answer in the separate thread that you have opened.

Best wishes,
Thomas

1 Like

Thatā€™s not standard. The usbC has two sets of pins, set each side in reverse order so it should not matter which way it is plugged if if you have a fully wired cable. That is the whole purpose of the wiring so there is no issue about which way it is plugged in.

Though i have the recommended FP IF cable charging rate isnā€™t yet a stable issue. :frowning:

1 Like

Same problem here. I also only get a normal charge when I link ir a couple of times.
But i need to mention, it seems not to be a problem using the Samsung fast charge adapter of my girlfriend.
So i was thinking It had something to do with the Fp3 maybe very specific on the charge voltage / amp?

If thatā€™s the case then it would seem to be your charger. When using your girl friendā€™s charger do you also use her cable? Have you tried mixing the charger and cables?

And what charger and cable are you using and how slow is slow?

So you didnā€™t define the problem, so what do you consider a normal charge>?

I use a 12v to 5v Belkin car charger that doesnā€™t support quick charge. For the first six months it was charging often around 1% in 3min so at least 5hours, on the odd occasion I would get the Charging Quickly notification. But for the last month or two it seems to charge 1% in less than 1.5min and charges in 2.5 hours.

The ā€˜normalā€™ quick charge should do a 90% charge in 1.5 hours.

I did read somewhere that the two Power Control Integrated Circuit Chips on the core module have a learning programme. ??

both device and charger must support QC, otherwise QC charging is not attained.

1 Like

For me, it always depends on the charger and the cable. Sometimes it charges much faster when I turn the USB-C plug the other way around. The slowest Iā€™ve seen was something like 50 mA (if measured correctly), usually it is 700 - 1200 mA which is fast enough for me.

Iā€™ve had a (rooted) phone once where you could set the charging current with some app and override a limitation the phone performs for some reason (sometimes far slower than the specifications and charger would allow).

You do not have to, just plug out and in the cable several times until charging is fast. It seems to be a bottom module issue:

I did some additional testing.
One way of being able to compare some stuff is using the app Ampere. It does a mesurement of the charging.
Funny thing; the Samsung amd the fp3 both get about 470ma out of a usb splitter.
I connect a single usb charger;
The fp3 doesnā€™t start charging while the samsung goes over 1000ma

Iā€™m gonna contact support with this measurement. Hope it is fixable, preffeably without the need to sent the phone.

1 Like

It is a hardware problem, another user had the same issue and received a new bottom module from Fairphone, and that solved the problem. Just make them aware of the linked thread above, this should keep them focused on the troubleshooting processā€¦

3 Likes

Issue is fixed through the service departement.
The phone was shiped to France and the bottom module was replaced.
All chargers now work again properly. Even the once that first didnā€™t charge at all.

This is for me again a thing where the ability to fix modules is a reall plus, next to the good service by Fairphone.

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us know,. Good to read a success story of Fairphone support, let us see if they have improvedā€¦

1 Like

In my particular case, the peoblem turned out to be the socket converter I was using (in combination with a USB-to-USB-C cable).

Those white thingies with a USB opening that you plug into the mains.

Turns out some of them work fine for an iPhone, but if you plug in a FP3, the charging will be extremely slow, sometimes even de-charging.

We own two very similar ones. The slightly larger one works with FP3, the slightly smaller other one doesnā€™t. Go figure. Turns out I switched them.

s-l400

2 Likes

Usually just called ā€œchargerā€.

Just a note to other readers to avoid confusion: the cable shown in wytzeschoutenā€™s post above is not a standard USB cable. Itā€™s a cable designed for charging iPhones and iPads and has a USB-A plug at one end, on the right in the photo, to go into the charger and a Lightning plug at the other, left, which fits sockets on the Apple devices. Donā€™t get the idea you could use this to charge a FP without an adapter of some sort.

5 Likes

Also to add that not not only Apple has those white charger shown above,.however I dont know, if the specs are same In addition also now Apple uses USB-C and the ipad cable and charger of the 4.th ipad generation quick charge the FP3 withtout any issues.

4 Likes