FP3: my order just got delayed by one month! from mid Sep. to mid Oct. to early Nov

Okay, my FP3 is here, it was delivered as scheduled on Friday.

No issues at all so far. Though I have to admit, that I did not install a single app for communication or messaging, I blocked gougel as far as possible, and I disabled as much as possible of the pre-installed apps. As long as there’s no Open OS for FP3, I will only have installed a few apps from PlayStore which I believe to need urgently :grinning:
But as I don’t have any contacts, phone numbers or alike on the phone, gougel doesn’t have much to grab.
Communication and messaging is installed on my Galaxy S5, which runs Lineage 16. Without GApps, understood.

6 Likes

Horay! Mine was ordered on the 25th sept, just flipped into ‘preparing order’ today :slight_smile:

4 Likes

BTW fun fact, my order was so late because i hadn’t heard about fairphone at all until the day before i ordered…

It was a tech site i follow reporting on a teardown of the FF3 by ifixit that brought it to my attention.

I was amazed, as it ticked every box* for a phone i wanted and after sleeping on it, ordered the next day :slight_smile:

/random-tangent

*roughly
Required:
Easily replacable battery
SD slot

Wanted:
second sim slot
fingerprint reader

Had given up on even looking for:
modularity
repairablity

12 Likes

So you now found your “heaven” :wink:

3 Likes

With 64 GB storage, I’m not sure if/when I’ll be needing this feature. YMMV, of course.

2 Likes

Got my FP3 last Tuesday, 5/11.
After over coming the somewhat awkward difference between Android Pie and Lineage 14.1 that I have on my “BQ Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu edition” and the physical size of the phone, I’m so far very pleased.

3 Likes

Oh cool, i hadn’t actually noticed it was 64GB.

Current phone has 32GB + a 32GB SD, so that’ll be a nice upgrade :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I ordered a FP3 with charger to replace an old broken phone. It said shipping Mid Nov and has been Preparing Order for some time. I’m trying to be patient, but is there an estimate when FP3 orders with charger (it seems those are late from this thread) will ship?

Best regards

Thomas

1 Like

Welcome to the community forum.

Those were late for customers ordering directly from Fairphone in the first days after the launch, but they were delivered in the meantime.

When did you order?
You could ask support for an estimated delivery date of your order.

1 Like

As the shop states, that orders right now will be shipped early December, I guess, you have reason to hope that your waiting will end soon.
But that doesn’t neccessary mean, that the status is changing first. The delivery might be first.

Thank you. I ordered October 18, so I’m not waiting forever. It’s just that most online shops these days seem to communicate more about delays in shipping.

Best regards

Thomas

I ordered a cable and a charger at 23th October.
Just received a message from Fairphone stating among other things:

3 Likes

I ordered my phone on 5th of November. And the shop says it will be shipped mid November. But until now, nothing happend. I wrote an email to the support team. But i only get an automatic email, that says that i will get an answer in a few days.

Yeah, it’s strange that they would not send out a message like that when there is a delay with a prepaid order of non-negligible value. I cannot remember when that last happened to me. While I have no doubt that FP is a reputable company I must admit that it does irritate me.

I have paid in advance, so it is a prepaid order.

I’m glad that you experience is better then mine. But so my order status was “prepare shipping” since very early on (Beginning of November?) and then had the delay without any update.

Given that they (credibly) state that “prepare shipping” means they literally have a queue of shipments that they process, I would have appreciated for FP to tell me “we typically ship x phones a day and there are y in the queue ahead of you, so yours will likely be shipped in y/x business days”. Or they could say “we have your phone, but your cable has not yet arrived, the ETA given by our supplier is A and we expect to ship to you within B days after that”.
For a company that has transparency as part of their core brand, customers knowing what’s up with the order would be really awesome and I don’t think it would be exceedingly difficult.

So I just called them and they were very nice (kudos!) and said it would likely ship this week. I also got a mail summarizing the call, that is neat. If that’s the case, I’m totally cool with the material outcome (we don’t want delays, but they do happen), but it would be even better if they had communicated to me about my order.

Here is an example of a website that kept my kid happy when eagerly awaiting a shipment (from a (mostly?) volunteer effort to pack and ship personalized items to almost 12.000 schools in <2 months): the German section of the international Kangaroo Mathematics Competition.

And to add the happy ending: I got my phone today. 2 weeks delay isn’t a big deal in the end, I should have been less impatient.

3 Likes

I ordered on the 8th of November. Yesterday evening I wrote an e-mail asking Fairphone about when my FP3, charger and cable will be shipped. (When I ordered the website stated that the phone will be shipped at the end of November.) Today they got back to me and told me that my stuff should be shipped in early December. They “have been waiting for a restocking of all accessories as they have sold out (they just arrived)”. Also they apologized about “the delay and any inconvenience this might have caused”. Reading the forum I already got the impression that it will take a bit longer, so the delay wasn’t really a surprise. Anyway, looks like we will get our phones soon.

edit: I got mine today (2019-12-13).

5 Likes

Ordered mine on 14.10. and already got 2 delivery delay messages from my ISP. I’m not expecting a new phone this year. I had a ridiculous long wait time after I ordered the FP2 too… so I guess this is just the regular Fairphone experience.

1 Like

A heads up for all those who are still waiting for their phone.

@all
I guess, we (generally speaking, obviously not everyone!) are a bit spoilt nowadays, expecting everything to work/happen instantly; especially with mail order deliveries.
If a delivery takes a week, many people fear to have been framed and start ringing support or customer service on a daily base (oftentimes not exactly in a friendly way).
I don’t consider this to be a healthy developement, as it not only makes the work for those working in the delivery chain much harder but it also makes one’s own life more stressful (in my opinion and frrom my experience).

My approach now (most of the time) is, to take it as it comes. I don’t feel triggered by “next day delivery”, although it’s an astonishing experience, when it happens.
And that seems to be a good stance when shopping with Fairphone, or most likely all smaller (and innovative) companies that are not backed by the really big money, that helps overcoming obstacles more easily.
But even big companies suffer those kinds of delay when presenting new products.

3 Likes

I ordered a cable and a charger at 23th October.
This evening I received message:
Fairphone: Order # FP200xxxxxx has been shipped!
In a separately message that I got from DHL I read expected delivery is tomorrow.

5 Likes