FP3+ & FP4 & FP5 hearing aids and direct streaming

I need hearings and tested resound, wanted to buy but faced app problems. I’m glad to read in time the resound app problems, so now im testing phonak as well. It works very well at ff4

3 Likes

Just an update:
In /e/ Murena 1.12.3 I still can’t connect my Phonak Life Audeo hearing aids. This was possible up to two system updates before.

But regarding the problem, I think it’s still the Android BT audio bug. When I go to the developer settings and check for codecs, then all codecs are still greyed out there.

Just read about the coming of Fp5. Does anybody know it will work with my Amplifon hearing aids (using ASHA protocol)?

1 Like

Good question. I have forwarded your question to Fairphone.

1 Like

Today I got an answer on ASHA and the Fairphone 5:

Yes, it is supported and it also supports HAC (Hearing Aid Compatible) mode.

6 Likes

In the app Settings, Accessibility an option appears Hearing Aids. I guess for this option you need hearing aids capable of direct bluetooh connection.

FP4 does support ASHA streaming. Source: I’ve tried it myself with a pair of Signia hearing aids about half a year ago (early 2023) for a few days. However, ASHA phone calls did not work (no audio), though this might be a software issue on any side.

(The same behavior applies to a few other smartphones from different brands which I don’t recall.)

Basically the same that @phonefrog reports for a GN device:

It’s not that easy. There are, for example, different PHY implementations (1M PHY, 2M PHY) with different bitrates. I don’t fully understand the ASHA spec but it might be read that 2M PHY is required.

This is not correct, as stated above.

I don’t know for sure but I guess ASHA comes by default in Android’s Open Source code or whatever Fairphone gets from Google and they did not explicitly disable it.

I don’t know for sure but it might be that you need to pay extra money to your acoustician/hearing aid vendor to have your hearing aid support ASHA.

ASHA support was added way later (Android 10 or 11 or so), so they are probably referring to bluetooth classic (the same standard that smartphones and cars have implemented since late 90ies). For this to work you would need an additional device which is paired to both your hearing aids and to the smartphone, which kind of translates from bluetooth classic to some proprietary protocol similar to or based on BLE. Something like what @Lidwien reports:

(your mileage may vary because your hearing aid vendor might have a different device.)

With the new hearing aids I get early October I don’t need a Compilot anymore. The hardware and software for connecting is then all included in the hearing aids. Phonak Audéo M50-R

1 Like

hey, I’m on a fp4 with lineageos 20, it seems to have a hearing aid option. and fairphone says the fp4 has bluetooth 5.1+LE. might be worth calling fairphone and asking them directly.

It will only work if your hearing aids are made for binaural direct streaming.
My hearing aids from 2018 do not have such option, to old.

Does anyone know if FP5 are ASHA competible?

Support wrote to me on ASHA and the Fairphone 5

Yes, it is supported and it also supports HAC (Hearing Aid Compatible) mode.

My hearing aids Phonak Marvel are working with the Fairphone 5.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with FP5 and hearing aids and if telephone calls are working? ASHA protocol might be included now, but is it working?

Yes it is working with my Phonak hearing aids. I can make phone calls, hear music on my phone.

There is a problem with some games. If you mute the sounds of games on the phone then some games push the sound of the TV away. So I can’t listen to the tv and play Toon Blast at the same time.
There is a bad workaround. At the bluetooth settings I mute the media audio. Then I can play and hear the tv. Telephone calls no problem, but other sounds are played ‘normal’ instead of in my hearing aids.
I have seen this problem with other brands of hearing aids and other brands of phones.

1 Like

Makes hope - thanks a lot! :pray:

Just found this, perhaps a consideration for /e/OS users: 🔊 Call to Action: Help us test ASHA protocol for Hearing Aids! - Testing - /e/OS community

1 Like

I just got my new FP5 the other day (I had FP2 for about six years!) and I’ve got a problem connecting my hearing aid to bluetooth. It was easy peacy with my old phone. I’ve go MyPhonak app and there it says that I’m connected, but when I try to connect them on bluetooth nothing happens and I can’t hear the phone through them. Very irritating. I’ve gone through all the instructions I’ve found, but not found a solution.

First turn on Bluetooth.
Then open the My Phonak app.
Connect the hearing aids.
When you see the line that the app has found your hearing aids tap on the line.
Do you get the request to pair your hearing aids? You have to accept twice if you have 2 hearing aids.
Check in Devices if you see your hearing aids as connected.

Then leave the app and go to the app Settings
Go to Connected devices

Hello, I’m new to the forum.
I’ve been looking for help to understand why my FF 3+ doesn’t work with my hearing aids. Here is my opinion (I am on /e os 1.17) after testing on Phonac audéo L-R and currently audionova.
After installing the corresponding application, the hearing aids are connected to the application for settings and everything works fine.
As far as call management is concerned, it doesn’t work.
The ff 3+ detects the bluetooth and I launch the pairing by accepting on the phone; the pairing is confirmed in the ear but the connection breaks. If I manually try to reconnect, nothing happens.
What I understand: ASHA is a protocol needed to handle calls. A communication protocol is an exchange of information between two terminals to enable all communication (not audio) to be established and managed. It is therefore normal for the telephone to refuse the Bluetooth connection as it does not understand the messages sent by the hearing aid’s ASHA module.
For me, ASHA is “just” code that has to be implemented in the phone’s bluetooth module…by the manufacturer or in my case by the /e OS team.
On the /e OS forum I’m following this topic :🔊 Call to Action: Help us test ASHA protocol for Hearing Aids! - Testing - /e/OS community.

To be continued.