FP3/After Android 10 Update: lock screen messages (popup) not shown

Hi all,

am I the only one with this problem?

After yesterday’s update to Android 10 (FP3 stock version, nothing special) notifications for incoming Threema messages are not shown. The screen wakes up (as before), but only a lock symbol is visible, not the message anymore.

On Android 9 this was no issue, screen woke up, showed the message, and went back to sleep.

Am I missing something?
Sebastian.

4 Likes

I have the same problem. The screen wakes and shows a lock but the notification isn’t shown. The telephone works and Whatsapp calls are fine too but text doesn’t appear. I have checked the settings and they are set to show notifications on both home and lock screen but they don’t appear on wake! Weird.

1 Like

Same here (only that I use Signal instead of WhatsApp). After doing some Google research this seems to be a wider Android Pie issue - I have not yet found a working solution …

Interesting. Mine worked on Pie lol! I have a more unusual quirk. Even though I’m on EE and it tells me my network carrier is EE it is telling me my SIM is Virgin and displaying Virgin as my network provider in my notifications. I’m not connected to WiFi and don’t have Virgin WiFi.

I’m not seeing lock screen notifications either… I’m also not liking that the volume buttons now control the media rather than the ring volume. There are lots of positive improvements though.

Mine controls ring volume when no media is playing? If yours doesn’t though, try and tap the controls under the volume when it shows on screen when you hit the volume button. This opens volume control for everything,

I have a feeling that this is the expected behaviour on Android 10 for additional privacy i.e. that the screen wakes to alert you that you have a notification, but you need to tap to view the notification itself.

I may be wrong though.

@Kenny, I reported the Virgin vs EE mislabel via FP Support yesterday. You can turn it off through Settings -> Display though.

Thanks! @pcm! Its not crucial but just annoying lol!

Same here, screen turns on for notifications and shows a lock icon - that’s it. After some research I have to agree with @Chris_R, unfortunately this seems intentional (others have been reporting this for non-Fairphone-phones, too).

Neither of these “Notifications on lockscreen” and “Lock screen” dialogs options fixed the problem either:

I even tried removing any phone locking mechanism altogether and set it to “none” - which results in an unlocked lock icon being shown instead, sigh.

2 Likes

No, it’s just media all the time it seems, although I can press a button at the top of the volume controls on the screen to toggle between vibrate, mute and ring at the currently chose volume. Alternatively, as you say, the button at the bottom opens the volume controls for everything…

What a bummer. But then, why does the screen come on at all? What use is there in showing me the lock symbol and nothing else. This basically renders the whole wake-up useless, doesn’t it?

Happy to hear, though, that I’m not the only one, I’ve also ran through every option I could find, hoping I just missed something.

I’ll keep poking around, maybe google on (I haven’t found any matching similar cases yet, seems like some Pixel users had some issues, some Samsung users did, but the issue was not really the same, it seemed).

Volume keys work like they did before for me (ringtone usually, media when media is playing), must be something on your end.

You can disable the wake in the lock screen display settings (it’s the option ‘when to show’). Then your screen doesn’t wake, but you still get the notification sound and led flashes

I know, but still wondering, if I leave it on, what purpose would the waking up have if the notification is not displayed? I’m not willing to buy into the “it’s a privacy-related change in Android 10” just yet…

I’m pretty sure this is a bug, given there are options in Settings to show notifications on the lock screen.

4 Likes

Actually, there is something fishy, today I’ve experienced the same issue the other way around, video was playing, but vol.keys did the ringer volume…

By the way: ✏ Known bugs & problems with Android 10

1 Like

Any chance that this will be fixed in an upcoming FP3 Android 10 update? Did really like to get a quick glance of the notification without taking the phone.

1 Like

@Kenny
Carrier name sorted by 5th Nov security fix. Now reading EE
See Software update: 3.A.0066

2 Likes

Its no longer a Virgin!

2 Likes