✏ FP2 wishlist vs reality

I changed it to:

I think over-achieving could be conceived as to positive as well. (Not that I think a bigger screen is such a negative thing either.)

1 Like

paulakreuzer:
Wish: According to a poll 82% of us don’t want GAPPS preinstalled (being able to install a fully Google-free OS afterwards probably works too)Announcement: ( )

I am trying to understand your figures.

When you say this are you referring to that poll: Poll: Should the Google Apps come preinstalled with the Fairphone?

If so it would be more correct to state that 62 people in this forum dont want Google apps. That gives a better idea of the importance of the opposition against Google Apps.

I still think the “silent majority” would prefer to have a phone with Google apps. So be fair and put 62 people and not 82% of us.

1 Like

You’re a bit late, I already erased that part.
I know that polls on this forum are not very representative, but saying but I’m sure 82% comes much closer to the reality than 62 people (out of everybody on the forum? the 60.000 FP1 users?).

1 Like

OK, sorry about that.

I just added this to the list:

What do you guys think? (link to original topic)

How are you going to use your FP as a phone if you remove the mic?

2 Likes

Haha, good point. Sometimes I forget the original function of a smartphone.

Anyway, Google Services will most likely cry foul and move you to the boot loop infinity lane. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

About the fair materials I look around for some news:

source: zdnet.com:

Like its predecessor, the Fairphone 2 will use conflict-free tin and
tantalum from the Democratic Republic of Congo. The company is also
working to get fairly-traded gold and tungsten into the second
generation device, a move that’s been made possible thanks to having
greater control over its own supply chain. As the device is Fairphone’s
own design, it’s been able to choose which suppliers it works with -
such as AT&S, an Austrian PCB maker which will be using not only
fairly-traded gold where possible for its Fairphone components but also
what the startup describes as a “very high percentage” of recycled
copper.

source: fairphone.com (March 2015):

We have a few months still until production, but at this
point it is still uncertain that we will be able to integrate fair trade
gold into the second generation Fairphone.
This is due to the fact that it seems almost impossible to import
fair trade gold through the Shanghai Gold Exchange and subsequently be
able to trace it through the SGE all the way up to the component
manufacturer. We are positive, however, about this path as we are in
talks with some driven and highly professional component manufacturers
(which we will introduce at a later stage) who are putting their efforts
into this cause.
In the meantime, we have started mapping the components
in our next phone that include gold. The following months, we will be
reaching out to the suppliers of these components to provide us with
information on their sourcing of gold. This way, we hope to be able to
have a breakdown of the routes of gold and trace back the mines of
origin.

Additionally:
source: fairphone.com (June 2015):

We’ve also tried to use as many recycled materials as possible.

3 Likes

Thanks for your research! :smile:
I updated the original post:

Even if there will not be any fair-trade gold and tungsten in the new FP the addition of recycled materials is a small step in the right direction. And we knew from the beginning that a fairer supply chain could only happen in small steps.

I just realized: Out of Fairphone’s 4 main goals:

• A fairer, more transparent supply chain
  • Social Impact
  • Openness
  • Logevity

We explicitly wished for 3 of them to improve (and they did). The only wish we didn’t express was a better social impact.
Can I assume that we all wished for that, we just forgot to add it to the list?
How about:

Wish: The percentage of the phone’s cost which goes to worker welfare and other good causes should at least stay the same.
Announcement: We still have to wait for the cost breakdown and compare it to FP1’s. ( :question: )

4 Likes

I think (hope) it’s safe to assume this would be something most FP-users wish!

1 Like

I certainly do (did) wish for fair working conditions and a fair pay. However I don’t like to nail that down with numbes. I’d rather talk about the impact.

Maybe something along the line of …

Wish: Lessons learned about working conditions and worker welfare should be applied and the outcome should be a fairer process.

Edit (to give a reason): Maybe Fairphone learned after the first model that investing in a welfare fund does not improve anything (besides: AFAIK the fund was only used as a bonus pay for workers, that could also have happened directly with less overhead) but fighting for better working hours makes a huge difference (remember, this is a hypothetical example). Then the cost that goes to worker welfare might decrease while production is still fairer.

3 Likes

You’re right, the cost breakdown alone doesn’t do it, so I combined the two wishes:

1 Like

Any news about the possibility of using any OS other than lollipop?
Are there any plans to support a free OS (like replicant.us) on an open (well-documented) hardware?
Thx.

I don’t know anything about software development but I believe we have to wait until the phone is being shipped for FOSS developers to start working on porting their OS’s to the Fairphone.

About the hardware: I haven’t read anywhere that the FP2 hardware will be open but I believe it will have to be (at least partially) to allow third parties to create modules/extensions.

1 Like

That’s not necessarily true. Fairphone can provide information to make this possible beforehand. My understanding is they also plan to do that. IIRC, Fairphone staff promised a blog article some time in summer.

2 Likes

The new FairPhone looks great, but is too expensive. The price has grown from 310 € to 525 €, 69 % more.

Personally I bought a FP1U because I was looking a upper middle range phone, and despite FairPhone was a more expensive than other phones in the same range, I made the effort because I believe in the project and I wanted characteristic like dual-sim and removable battery .

But FP2 wouldb be far of my reach: I think that FP1 public was small because of the price; FP2 public is even smaller.

Who knows how many rich spoiled children will switch their iPhones to FP2 if it’s trendy enough? :grinning:

2 Likes

The last tranche of Fairphones was sold out in a few days if I recall correctly and I’m confident that the 100.000 FP2s per year won’t be enough to supply to everybody who wants one either.

While publicity for FP1 wasn’t overwhelming, I think it was a success: Many large newspapers and TV stations reported on it.

From my perspective publicity for FP2 is even larger because the announcement to plan a new edition alone was picked up by many media outlets already. Have a look at this post, which also lists many articles about FP2:

1 Like