FP2 screen flickering

Interesting. I had some BT malfunctions as well before. My Headset controls didn’t respond and I had to repeatedly pair the headset again to reconnect it.

Also, I want to add that I did not get any answer to my support ticket for 9 days. Seriously??

Unfortunately that is still below average:

1 Like

Take a look at the thread for #contactsupport and give them a call with all the necessary numbers at hand (IMEI, order-no and ticket-no).
I have waited for an answer from support (well, there was x-mas and new years eve in the meantime) exactly 50 days.
I did’nt give them a call, as I already had ordered a new display, that arrived within a week and solved the problem. I just forgot to let them know, that the support request is obsolete.

2 Likes

Hello. My FP2 is about 2 years old. Nearly everything was perfect until now. But since a few weeks my FP2 has big problems with the display. First it sometimes flickered but it got even worse and now often the screen stays black at all. If i push the buttons long enough it comes first with flickering and after some 10-20s it goes stable.
I tried openeing it and clean the contacts of the screen. No change. It seems to be a software problem, because pushing, shaking or other mechanical things don’t change at anything. One or two years ago there was seemingly was a similar software problem. Can it be this again now?
Is anyone here who can give me a hint?

1 Like

I have the same problem. Meanwhile, support reacted to my ticket (after two weeks) and suggested to buy a new screen, since mine is out of warranty now. They dont know if it will help, though. Might help, might not help, ticket closed. Thank you, Sir! :frowning: I keep you updated if it does, replacement should arrive this week. In the meantime, check out this video I made, does this look like your problem? https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g7tv9tx3gx4265/FP2%20crazymode.mp4?dl=0

That really looks weird.
I guess you could have tried to get in contact with a local fairphone community (some of them meet quite regularly) or one of the #fairphoneangels to test if it really is the display, that is at fault.
They could have tried swapping displays.
Maybe that’s still an option, so you can return the display sealed, should the problem happen to be located elsewhere.
I’m just cautious, as the display still “works” in a way.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for this advice, it really seems a good alternative to shipping in the phone for repair and gambling with a new screen module. As it happens, there is a group in Stuttgart, I will contact them right now!

2 Likes

So it turned out to be a bit complicated to meet, would have required a 1 hr drive, but the stuttgart group was there and ready to help! That’s really great, thanks to the people who put all their effort in to make this whole thing work!!
Meanwhile, the replacement screen arrived and it works much better indeed. That is, besides the fact that I am now affected by the Blackscreen problem which is described elsewhere in this forum. I have to say, this is getting a bit tiring… The whole concept of repairing your phone becomes less cool if you have to pay for all the replacement pieces. And given the chance that I might have to replace the mainboard for 300€, I am considering to leave this fairphone project. Would be a shame, because it really feels good to have such a kind of special phone and the community is awesome. But in the end, I am not ready to throw money at a product which is that faulty.

1 Like

If I get it right, you just have to calibrate the proximity sensor. Seems to be quite common with new displays.
Settings > Maintenance > Proximity Sensor.

I hope that does the trick.

It worked. For five minutes. Then it went back to blackscreen again. It is really strange, because putting pressure to the screen roughly at the area where the connector pins are seems to help switching it on. Then again, switching the screen off works all the time and just after recalibrating the proximity sensor, switching it on worked like a charm, but only for some moments. So if it is a problem with the connection, why does it only affect the switch-on, not the switch-off? And also, why does restarting the phone (with or without calibrating the sensor) make it better for some minutes and then the situation deteriorates? A defect condensator maybe? Under the connector pins, the square metal cover plate seems to be lose, is it supposed to be? Well, anyway, thanks for the idea!

Exactly the same issue I spoke about!

1 Like

I don’t know, what exactly you are meaning by “lose”. I just checked my phone. The metal plate is kind of a bit flexible, not stiff, but not really lose either.
Have you tried cleaning the contacts with alcolhol? Maybe your sensor is dysfunctional. To me it - unfortunately - seems like a case for support/warranty.
Maybe you should give the Stuttgart fairphoners a chance, even if it’s an inconvenient 1hr drive. Judging from the forum participation, they got some very able and really helpful folk there. :smile:
I keep my fingers corssed for you.

@Pedru
The same goes for you of course.
Do you happen to live in the vicinity of a Fairphone community? Contact them. Even if they should not be able to fix your issues, they can help to clarify the problem and maybe root up the cause (and besides you might meet some nice people :wink: ),

Thank you Bert for your kind answer. I live in Milan, Italy, and I don’t know if there is a FP community here.I really trust in FP project and I’ll give a third chance. This phone costs a lot of money (more or less half salary in my case) but I think fairness “costs” and I am happy to pay. But I bought it as a perfectly working phone, not an experimental prototype. So lets hope! Thanks again for your kindness!
Pietro

BertG
April 9 |

BNT:
Under the connector pins, the square metal cover plate seems to be lose, is it supposed to be?

I don’t know, what exactly you are meaning by “lose”. I just checked my phone. The metal plate is kind of a bit flexible, not stiff, but not really lose either.
Have you tried cleaning the contacts with alcolhol? Maybe your sensor is dysfunctional. To me it - unfortunately - seems like a case for support/warranty.
Maybe you should give the Stuttgart fairphoners a chance, even if it’s an inconvenient 1hr drive. Judging from the forum participation, they got some very able and really helpful folk there.
I keep my fingers corssed for you.

@Pedru
The same goes for you of course.
Do you happen to live in the vicinity of a Fairphone community? Contact them. Even if they should not be able to fix your issues, they can help to clarify the problem and maybe root up the cause (and besides you might meet some nice people ),

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

BNT
April 8 |

It worked. For five minutes. Then it went back to blackscreen again. It is really strange, because putting pressure to the screen roughly at the area where the connector pins are seems to help switching it on. Then again, switching the screen off works all the time and just after recalibrating the …
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Yes, I cleaned the pins with alcohol. Did not change anything. About the Stuttgart Fairphoners, I really would do that, but I really do not have the time. Meeting someone downtown for two hours is one thing, putting half a day in such a project is just impossible for me. I really don’t intend to bloat myself up, but I have a 2 year kid, a job and some social volunteering during the little rest of my spare time. My calendar is full until mid May, and if I get half a day off from all that, I am certainly not getting in a car or train just to get my phone repaired (and I add: without any guarantee to actually be successful). Sorry to say it in a demanding way like that, but I need a working phone 24/7 and a support service which gets my tech stuff done quickly without bothering me. That was the reason why I was so enthusiastic about the modular phone design: you don’t need to ship in your phone, just order a replacement part and fix the thing in 20 minutes if anything is broken. This situation now is the complete opposite of this vision and to be honest, I am a bit angry about this. The Fairphone community is so active and great - but this can not be the replacement for a professional support. IMHO, Fairphone company misuses its volunteering community. In Germany, we have a saying, Ehrenamt braucht Hauptamt, which roughly means volunteers need professional support. I dont see this support here.

Just in case it helps anyone, I had a problem with bad flickering: after a few minutes use, the phone would start to flicker and quickly become unusable. The easy fixes I saw didn’t do much for it, and I thought I’d have to buy one of those famous screwdrivers and explore my modular phone.

But first I thought to check anything to do with the display, and found the brightness was at maximum (where I never have it). I really hadn’t noticed the difference, but once I turned it down to below half way, where it’s perfectly comfortable, the flickering vanished.

3 Likes

Hey guys,
i have the same problem: combination of “flickering screen” and “black screen”.
i tried to clean contacts and also changed display with my wife but the problem persists. (cleaning contacts seems to have helped a bit).

my tought now is that it could be something with the proximity sensor, I tried to recalibrate it, but strangely I cannot get past the step 1. (getting “something went wrong, please try again. Make sure you cover the sensor area completely” which i obviously to).

next thing i am going to try this evening is to change front camere/proximity sensor module with my wife and see if some of the problems will transfer to her phone.

will keep you up to date
Alex

Changed top module without success. Problems stays the same.

I tested the secondary microphone and i always get a feedback loop… cannot understand why…

In the meanwhile i opened a support ticket with al this information. let’s see what they say… I really hope that i won’t need to change the core module…

I am experiencing the same issue.
I also experience occasional disconnects from the camera.
I didn’t thoroughly clean all connection points yet
but I already tightened all screws,
which made the issues disappear for about a week.

I now keep my phone mostly on the alarms only setting,
but this doesn’t seem to affect the issues very much.

I will try cleaning all connections later.
If this doesn’t fix the issues, I’ll contact support.

Hi folks,
I experience the same troubles!
I am not an experienced de-re-assemble-your-phone-user.
When my friends watch me struggling with my fairphone, I’m a little under pressure to defend my choice…