FP2 Screen can't be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds

Hi,

I have my Fairphone 2 since beginning of February 2016. I have a problem: when I make a call, the screen is totally black and it turns “on” only when the people on the other side close the call. I’m not abble to stop the call.
Moreover If the interlocutor do not answer to my call and that I get its voice mail, then I have to remove the battery of my phone to stop the call… When I receive the call, the screen is ok. The problem it’s only when I make the call. So annoying!

I have already test to do the following things:

1. Reboot my phone several time.
  2. I processed the update that Fairphone delivered at the begginning of April 2016.
  3. I tried also to install the application "ProximityScreenOff-Lite and set it up as described on the forum.

But nothing solve my issue.
It makes my Fairphone unusable !

1 Like

i can confirm that dust ia the reason! when i clean the inner side of the display the sensor works as it should but after a few days the problem occurs again. i already ran through this procedure three times…

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same issue with the proximity sensor. I’ve found a workaround on the net (FP2 does not seem to be the only one with proximity sensor trouble). I pushed a small piece of aluminium foil on the sensor (see picture below). It makes the sensor feel that there is always light and the screen never turns off.

I will see with time if the workaround is not worst than the problem: the screen is on during calls so the cheek can interact with the screen.

3 Likes

Well, in this case you can use the power button to switch the screen on and off or an app that does it for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip !
Up to know, I used to use the power button to end calls ^^

HELP!!! I’ve had the same problem. Tried the work around taking off the screen and cleand the proximity sensor. But now the screen doesn’t do anything!!! It doesn’t turns on any more :frowning:

Maybe it didn’t snap well into place. Take it off and put it back again. I hope that helps.

Well after about 10 times it worksagain, but the proximity sensor is still not working :frowning:

I’m having an intermittent problem with my phone. I dial the number and the screen goes off when the phone goes to my ear. If I then need to type in a number of look at another app while on the phone I can’t because the screen doesn’t come back on. I can’t even hang up the phone so have to reset. Sometimes the screen comes back as I press various buttons and tap the screen. It’s very annoying!!!

1 Like

I got the same problem, one in two!!

Exact the same with my phone. I would love it but it don’t work…

What happens if you just tap shortly on the power on button on the side?

I am curious: Will this (the aluminium foil) break the ambient light sensor and the adaptive screen brightness?

1 Like

Hi tofra,

Good question ! I didn’t thought about that since I’m not using this option. I tried. The adaptive brightness does indeed not seem to work with the aluminium foil installed.
To me it is a small issue compared to the non possibility to use your screen during a call (after a few days, the workaround still works perfectly well :slight_smile:)

Cleaning and rebooting is not a fix for this problem. The screen remains locked even for video calls ( at least for the couple that could be started before screen locks after cleaning and booting).

Hi,
Just for the record:
I’m having the same issue. Not every- or every second time, but occasionally: When I want to end the call, the screen remains black and turns only back on when the other side ends the call.

accordig to the numerousness of people having these troubles i wonder if there ever will be an official statement of fairphone. for me it seems like they don’t really care about the problem!, but it actually is kind of a big thing for many users.

Hi,
Me too just for the record
I have the same problems
My scream desactivates when I call
It only comes back when the other hang out
Cheers

I’ve experienced the same problem. When testing the proximity sensor with the recommended sensor readout app (nice app btw :slight_smile: ) it didn’t work at all at the beginning. After “cleaning” it with a bit of cloth (just from my hoody) it worked fine (showing 0 cm for covered and 5 cm for uncovered). When touching the glass at the position of the sensor, it doesn’t work again.
So I guess that the sensor thinks it’s covered when there are some fingerprints, i.e. grease on the glass. The same happens when calling and putting the phone to the cheek. Some grease from the cheek gets in front of the sensor, hence it thinks it’s covered.

So my workaround (not yet verified during calls) is: clean the glass at the sensor position with your clothes whenever the sensor doesn’t work

1 Like

I have an idea for a better workaround. It is meaningful to clean the sensor once and then put a sticky tape over the sensor hole? Somebody know a reason why this won’t work? Or in other words: why the sensor hole is open?

Thanks for your Comments.:slight_smile: