FP2 Screen can't be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds

It’s already now a configurable setting if power button ends call or not - or am I understanding something wrong?
You find it in settings->accessibility->power button ends call.

Hi, i am french sry for my english i do my best.

Why did i cant join support ? I have send a question to support service but nothing…

1 month without any answer…

I’ve got a problem during call, i’ve got a black screen and can’t use phone… My call work fine and when i have to hang up i cant, because of screen is black… I have to hope that’s my interlocutor hang up 1st…

Its so boring because if my interlocutor forget to hang up i have to force reboot on phone to leave call.

I hope you see what i mean even if i have a bad english…

Can someone help me with my phone problem or can someone tell me how to join FP2 support ?

Thanks by advance for answer.

I moved your post here, since it’s the same problem. Have a look at the first post, there are some workarounds that maybe help you, too.

Bonjour
J ai le même probleme avec mon FP2 et le sensor au coin superieur g du telephone. L’ecran se bloque lors des appels et je doit attednre que l’interlocuteur coupe.
Avez vous trouve une solution?
Le forum ne donne pas de solution, d autres semblent avoir le même probleme.
Que faire?
Merci de votre aide

Est-ce que tu as lu le premier post de ce topic? Dedans, tu peut trouver des workarounds (pas des vrais solutions, mais ça peut déjà aider bien sûr)

Hi, I just experienced this issue the last few days. Started Thursday or Friday - sorted it out on Saturday after reading this, eventually getting the screen off(!) and then blowing into the proximity sensor. Downloaded SensorBox to test, and it seems to be working fine now, and works for calls as well. I’ve also enabled the ‘Power Button Ends Call’ option now in case it comes back, so at least I don’t need to remove the battery…

I’m wondering though - what else (if anything) is the proximity sensor really used for? It’s possibly used in apps of course, but I mean in Android OS. Looking at this problem from a different angle, couldn’t the phone turn the display back on either if the proximity sensor does not detect anything OR if the phone is held (relatively) flat based on the gyroscope? I don’t know about others, but I’m generally holding my phone reasonably vertically when calling, so I think this is a reasonable way to implement the functionality (and tbh until I experienced this issue, was how I assumed most smartphones worked!)

If people think this is a reasonable fix I’d be up for attempting to make a minor mod to the OS, behind some user activated option. (I don’t have experience modding Android, but I do work in software development).

Only relevant to geeks or Fairphone support folk:
A quick Google implies there’s actually two versions of FairphoneOS - ‘regular’ and OpenSource. Probably going well beyond the scope of the initial question here, but anyone know if the ‘regular’ and OpenSource versions are regularly (or ever) merged? Just wondering if I were to add a patch to the OpenSource version is there a chance it might be picked up in the ‘regular’ version eventually?

2 Likes

Me as well, but that’s not the only situation where I hold it vertically, e.g. also when I’m reading (in bed) or in other situations.
So if I understood you right and you were thinking of basing the screen off on the position, I could imagine that also in other situations when you need the screen it might get either off.
Though, if it’s connected with an active call the fault rate may become acceptable?
Anyway, interesting idea!

-You find it in settings->accessibility->power button ends call-

This is indeed an option. But i do use a headset once in a while and then the screen is shut down so i can leave my phone in my pocket.

And it’s good to have work arounds, but it’s better to have a good fix of this problem…

1 Like

Same issue in Hamburg Germany on a 2 months old fairphone 2, screen black, though clean, just activates again when other participant hangs up or with shortcut solution (powerbutton) closing the call myself. But with that failure the phone annoys me more than it makes me happy, as I have been at first when everything worked. With so many people having the same problem I can’t believe it could be a hardware problem, well if it is a faulty sensor beeing produced, that would be a huge setback for the company and us users. Anyway even if it is a software problem it still su… and needs fixing right away.

2 Likes

Hi,
I posted some pictures in an earlier post. (Post:153)
There you can see that the seal is not at the same level as the case.
Are there people, who could check this at their phones?
In my opinion the seal is the main problem that causes this failure. Or maybe the seal of the speakers isn’t good enough to hold back the dust. Changing the display and the module with the proximity sensor with parts with a correct seal can in my opinion solve this problem.
Sure, this is only true if dust is the reason.

Yes, you’d only turn the screen off when the screen is vertical if during a call, not at other times (same as the screen is only turned off when the proximity sensor is activated if it’s during a call, not if you just cover the sensor during other times).

1 Like

When calling, the display gets black/inactivated. I tried cleaning the interior. That way, the phone worked fine ONCE, i.e. I can make a call without the display getting inactivated. But as soon as I activate the proximity sensor by holding a finger near it, the display is inactivated and does not activate again until the call is over. At next call, the display inactivates directly, without me getting close to the proximity sensor. It seems I can reactivate the sensor through taking the battery out. I tried this four times took the battery out, made a call. Each time, the display works once, but does not come back after having been deactivated once. Is it the proximity sensor that gets stuck? Any workarounds? Thanks to suggestions in this forum I learned to activate the power button to end calls, but this only solves part of the problem.

1 Like

Hi,

I have my Fairphone 2 since beginning of February 2016. I have a problem: when I make a call, the screen is totally black and it turns “on” only when the people on the other side close the call. I’m not abble to stop the call.
Moreover If the interlocutor do not answer to my call and that I get its voice mail, then I have to remove the battery of my phone to stop the call… When I receive the call, the screen is ok. The problem it’s only when I make the call. So annoying!

I have already test to do the following things:

1. Reboot my phone several time.
  2. I processed the update that Fairphone delivered at the begginning of April 2016.
  3. I tried also to install the application "ProximityScreenOff-Lite and set it up as described on the forum.

But nothing solve my issue.
It makes my Fairphone unusable !

1 Like

i can confirm that dust ia the reason! when i clean the inner side of the display the sensor works as it should but after a few days the problem occurs again. i already ran through this procedure three times…

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same issue with the proximity sensor. I’ve found a workaround on the net (FP2 does not seem to be the only one with proximity sensor trouble). I pushed a small piece of aluminium foil on the sensor (see picture below). It makes the sensor feel that there is always light and the screen never turns off.

I will see with time if the workaround is not worst than the problem: the screen is on during calls so the cheek can interact with the screen.

3 Likes

Well, in this case you can use the power button to switch the screen on and off or an app that does it for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip !
Up to know, I used to use the power button to end calls ^^

HELP!!! I’ve had the same problem. Tried the work around taking off the screen and cleand the proximity sensor. But now the screen doesn’t do anything!!! It doesn’t turns on any more :frowning:

Maybe it didn’t snap well into place. Take it off and put it back again. I hope that helps.

Well after about 10 times it worksagain, but the proximity sensor is still not working :frowning: