FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

You may read through this topic and maybe find hints.

Also (temporarily - over night) disable all network connections and see if there are any reboots.

Yes, I tend to believe so too.

1 Like

Installed Forecastie (available on F-Droid) instead of Aix Weather, and as expected no more unexpected reboots since then.

3 Likes

Recently i was playing a game while charging at the same time from an anker bank (not pokemon go, but still something power hungry).

The screen suddenly stopped responding to touches and froze, pressing the power button to go into sleep mode played the sleep/locking screen sound, but until several seconds later the screen wouldnt turn off like if the hardware lags.
turning it back on again, the game was lagging hard (not enough CPU time like), and ultimately i was looking at lineage loading animation, again.

The weirdest part: The battery was completely shot to pieces, i had like 4% left and they dropped fast, no chance to salvage.

Hi, it’s possible that high temperature typical in this kind of use may have damaged your battery.

Hi there,
just wanted to share my point of view after using FP2 quite a long time:
My wife an I have been running FairphonOpen since ever, both experiencing random reboots with varying frequency (five times day to once a week).

• I don’t think that the reboots are linked to any specific app.
    Although AixWeather throws exceptions, there are much more exceptions than reboots.
    Uninstalling AixWeather from my wifes phone did not change the behavior.
    I’m experiencing much less reboots - probably because my phone is not connected to mobile networks (only wifi). With my phone, most “first contacts” to mobile networks (leaving flight mode) results in a reboot.
    I guess, that the change in network mode triggers a lot of app-activity at the same time (connecting to the network, “phoning home”, …) which causes the reboots.

• After changing my OS to LineageOS (15.1 = Android 8.1.0) I never had a single reboot for about two months.

For me it looks like it’s a OS-problem, caused by too much app-activity related to changes in mobile networks (also changing network cell, etc).

Let’s hope that a future OS-version might solve the problem.

Cheers, one of the first 17.418

Btw.: I recommend LineageOS - no reboots, no crashes, smooth experience, less battery usage and (if you like) daily updates.

1 Like

Yes I partially agree with your statements.

Not necessarily, we also had issues like this and there is a rebootsguide available too.

Hi,
I always had issue with my phone since the day I got it. random reboots sometimes several times a day. I doubt it would be because of the battery. sometimes it will happen 4 or 5 times on the same day, but mostly at least one time a day… I don’t know what to do, I was considering getting another phone it’s so annoying.

You are entitled a cool-off right; that is, the right to cancel your purchase within fourteen (14) days from the day the product(s) was delivered to you, without explanation and without penalty.

If it’s not that new … the rebootsguide is in the topic title … and you can contactsupport.

I did contact the support and they told me back then that the new update might fix the issue, so I’ve waited

It would be great to get an update soon. I hope my 2 new problems solve then

For at least 2 weeks now, my FP2 has been crashing/reboots (screen shows a red battery with an exclamation mark followed by %1$d%% ) and I don’t know if the following is also related to it, but if I recall it well, it has started parallel.
I’ve not been able to reproduce the “reset to the factory home and lock screen” -my home and home screen are one of the other factory delivered ones- which happens when the phone is idle or at least locked (I find the screens changed after not having use it)

I also encounter reboots regulary since I have bought my FP2 (it was a reconditionned FP2).
The problem was here with original FP OS, but the reboots were still there with LineAgeOS 14, 15 and now with 16.
They occurs each time when I’m using the GPS (with or without 4G), and only in this situation.
The reboots occurs with any GPS app as OSMand, Sygic or Waze, after a random time : between 15 and 90 minutes, the phone reboot.
On the road, it’s very annoying.

When using GPS, my Fairphone2 it’s very hot. At the begining, I was thinking it could be a kind of protection against overburning :smiley:
But the reboot was happen some times when the environment was cold enought (during winter walk with OSMand for example), so I not sure anymore about this hypothesis.

I wonder several time if my FP2 has an hardware failure, and after reading most of the topics on the subject, I don’t know what to think about it…

Hardware issue ? Software issue ?

I have change battery, SIM, SD card, make a reset…

It is my only bad experience with the FP2, but it’s very tiresome…

Hi, I’m not sure this is the same exact problem, but my FP2 randomly, often several times a day, becomes unusably slow and then sometimes reboots by itself. Sometimes I force reboot because the phone cannot be used. However, rebooting doesn’t solve the issue. While the phone is slow, it also uses the battery excessively. The battery doesn’t heat up though, unless I actually do something energy consuming with the phone, which isn’t the case when I can’t use it.

I’ve been tying different things, like switching off wi-fi, turning down notifications, closing apps etc. They all help, a little, but do not solve the problem. There’s no pattern, and I haven’t necessarily been doing anything with it when it slows down, it may be slow just when I unlock it and start to use it. The problem also passes by itself in time, which may take an hour or two. Then it returns later. My phone is relatively new, I got it in January, and this problem has persisted now for a while and has become more frequent.

I skimmed through this thread, but no solutions to the problem caught my eye. If anybody knows how to fix it, please inform me.

1 Like

If your reboots are driven by high cpu temperature you can try to tweak your CPU settings (but you have to root your phone). See this post (and forwarded posts): Most sustainable way to replace FP2: Better now then wait until it dies? Opinions?

Hi! Same problem here. Could not find any solution yet. My FP2 is 18 months old which is not that long as well. It really looks like a Software issue and it has been occurring for about 4 months.

Any help from the FP team would be welcome !
Thanks

Hey, I was instructed to do the factory reset and that worked. Part of the instructions was not to reinstall all the apps immediately after the reset, because some of them likely caused the problem. Likewise, reinstall the apps one by day to see if some of them causes the problem.

1 Like

Wow, thank you… I did a factory reset but I reinstalled the apps straight away and I still got the same issue… OK, I can try that and see which app causes the issue. Any clue @Monk about what app it may be for you ?

Hi! Sorry for the slow reply. I have no idea which app it is, it might not even be a particular app for all that I know.

OK, thanks for your reply. The problem has become even more frequent, so I’m starting to think there is a hardware issue like a bad contact at the battery interface or the start button. I think my phone is still under guarantee, I’ll see if I can send it back.

For what it is worth: I did not observe random reboots (ever) when running FPOOS. I switched to FPOS (fresh install) somewhere in Dec 2019. At which point I observed several random reboots per day. Often it would happen when I lay my FP2 down on a table, but it would also happen without any apparent reason. At some point I switched to LineageOS 16 with MindTheGapps, and the random reboots disappeared again. This seems to suggest that this is a software problem. It might suggest that the battery is somewhat weak (it’s the original 2015 battery) and some software module in FPOS causes massive battery draw which in turn could cause the mainboard to reboot (as reboots can often be a sign of CPU power being too low).

4 Likes

Hello,
My FP2 just came back from a repair center (it is still under gurantee): It was sent because of these multiple random reboots. In the conclusion, it was written that the software was upgraded to the latest version (as i have already done before send it).

But no change, after connecting my google user (mail, calendar, contact), the FP2 continues to reboot randomly.

I have already contacted the support, no answer… the silence…

This phone costed me more than 500 eur and it turns off, at any time, even during conversation calls.

So if you have any kind of process or handling, please share.

regards.
H Rakotovoavy

1 Like