FP2 OS update crashing

Dear all,
I have a FP2 since May 2018 and today I updated the OS. Once the update was done, it restarted but gets blocked in the “Change is in your hands” screen, staying there forever. Anybody suffering from the same issue? Do you know how to handle it? I understand the 2-year warranty applies and should get it fixed… for free I hope! :wink:
Thanks a lot in advance.
Best,
Antonio

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. Please tell me which version of the software causes the issue.
If nothing helps intall linageOS, is better anyway, just a bit more complicated but you can have a stable android 9 or an experimental android 10

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply! The problem is that I start the phone and gets frozen in the “Change is in your hands” screen thus I have no option to either check the OS version or do the un-install procedure. I am not really an IT guy, I just know that I had the most recent default OS version until this morning.

1 Like

Try installing the OS via ADB or install TWRP via the same method.
Alternatively you can try to hold VOL- (am not sure if +/-) and POWER and do a factory reset, be aware that your data is gone in that case, but if you don’t have a backup, it doesn’t look to good for your data anyway

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Leo! The reference to " ADB or install TWRP" below sounds really complex to me, I think I will opt for the second option. I should have a backup copy in the cloud.
Best,
Antonio

1 Like

Hi Leo,
The second option has not worked. It is now actually frozen on the Fairphone initial screen and the upper left blue light blinking all the time. Would you know how is the procedure to send the FP2 to the Netherlands for technical assistance. As said above, I understand this should be fully covered by the warranty, right?
Best,
Antonio

1 Like

I had the same issue (not booting beyond the bootanimation after the update). I resolved it by booting into recovery (turn on phone by pressing Power+Volume up) and wiping the phone back to factory settings.

2 Likes

That’s what I reccomended.
Try ADB (Android debug) via PC and see if it detects it. You can flash TWRP or the new OS directly from there.

1 Like

… after wiping back to factory settings you can also just re-run the updates as you have done before: Either with the phone build-in updater, which would offer updates in several steps by jumping to certain FP OS versions, or with the manual updater script offered by Fairphone you can directly install the latest FP OS version. If you’re less experienced, try the phone build-in updater (Settings -> About phone -> Updater). It will guide you safely to what you need. After phone restart, look in the updater again until you got the latest version.

1 Like

That depends - I’m presuming here the update was succcessful, but that it screwed something up causing the device to not boot properly. If the update was successful, the factory reset will reset the phone to the updated state, so no further updating will be necessary.

Which may not be the case, but the above has been my experience with updates.

2 Likes

We have tested a factory reset here with a recent (but not latest) version. After factory reset the phone version was as far as I remember 18.04 and thus it would take at least two updates to get the latest OS via OTA update. I believe it depends what the phone sees as ‘factory standard’.

2 Likes

I had this problem too after the update.
Simply wiping cache in recovery and restarting helped …

4 Likes

You need to contactsupport and follow their profesional advice before they conclude they need to fix it there. If it’s still in warranty, it’d be free, don’t worry. ¡Suerte!

I had a similar issue with the previous update. Following advice on this forum, eventually I installed the OS manually.
See here , & other messages in the topic “FP2 does not start after update”.
EDIT That is, in case wiping the cache doesn’t work out! Didn’t try that at the time.

Thanks everybody for the very quick response especially during the festivities time. I have tried the easy option as I am really IT illiterate, i.e. to press power and volume up buttons. After doing that a very worrying picture pops up after just 1 second: the Android robot icon lying on its back with the “belly” open and a red danger triangle with exclamation tag inside; below a message that says “No command”. After a period of approx. 1 minute the automatic-non-ending restart starts again. As additional background info, I can say that it was several months that the battery was lasting very little, even after replacing it with a new one bought at the FP website. Therefore, I guess that something in the CPU might have been already wrong before the OS update. I will try to sort it out thru the customer service eventually sending it to the Netherlands (if feasible!).
Thanks again everybody for your time!
Best,
Antonio

1 Like

That’s the dic:recoverymode mentioned above. There you can e.g. clean the cache as mentioned by @s99h.

This is the dic:fastboot mode. Using this status you can do a manual reinstallation of the OS.

If you’re unsure, you can still contactsupport.

2 Likes

Did you try to remove the battery, put it in again and then restart?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.