FP2 doesn't get mobile network

Hello everyone
Two month ago, I bought a new FP2. I didn’t use it because I visited my mum for six weeks and there is no net. Two weeks ago I moved into my mobile home (I live and work from there) and start to travel. But I still couldn’t get net for my phone. Three days ago I bought a new SIM card from Vodafone because I thought, the old SIM card isn’t working properly. To my surprise the new card didn’t work too. I tried it in another mobile phone and there it was working! I checked the settings in my phone but they were okay. Turning the phone off and on doesn’t help. Flight mode is off, software is up to date. Net is available. Funnily enough, sometimes I have net for around a minute and when I want to use, it disappears for an hour again. Or even more.
Can anybody help me please?

Have you tried the troubleshooting already:

Connectivity

While it obviously should work in your area, did you try either SIM slot to put the SIM card in?

[quote=“BernhardH, post:1, topic:33587, full:true”]
Three days ago I bought a new SIM card from Vodafone because I thought, the old SIM card isn’t working properly.[/quote]
Vodafone is operating in almost all of Europe. In which country are you?

1 Like

At the moment I am travelling in Germany. Vodafone should work here easily.

1 Like

I use two SIM cards and I switched it to try both in every slot. With no success. I already tried the Vodafone SIM card in a different phone and it was working properly there. :frowning:

Hey BertG
Yes I tried the troubleshooting with the result, I need to send an message to Fairphone, which I did. Now I am waiting for their reply.

If the waiting takes too long, just give them a call (number on the support page). That usually does speed things up a lot.
I guess it’s that way, as mail-traffic happens to be filled with lots of other stuff to sort out.

I was thinking about calling them, but I had no phone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I will call them this afternoon when I have landline. :+1:

What connection status do you see when you swipe down the status bar, no networks or only emergency calls?
Also, did you try your phone with a SIM of a different operator yet? Maybe you can borrow a friend’s SIM just to try.

Hey AlbertJP
usually there is “no network”. Sometimes “only emergency” appears for a minute or so and then it changes to “no network”.
I already tried my SIM card in two different phones and it works properly there. When I try a SIM card of a friend in my phone, it won’t work, that means in the status bar is the message: No network. :frowning: And I use two SIM cards, one from 1und1 and the second one from Vodafone, and none of them works in my phone.

Sorry its same for me in my work building. They offer little help

Well, that’s most likely due to bad reception caused by the building (reinforced concrete?). Are your colleagues/customers/… experiencing the same problems with their phones? The problems of Bernhard seem to be independend of such “natural” causes.

If you want to do something yourself, you could check whether the network antenna is connected properly in the phone … if it somehow is not, your reception will probably suffer.

Just in case: A teardown of the FP2 can be found here:

Klick for a list of guides for the FP2 on ifixit.

Everyone else is fine

Well, that’s strange.
Have you tried the troubleshooting on the support page?

• Connectivity

Je pense que ton téléphone a un problème. Si tu n’arrives pas à l’utiliser correctement, téléphone à FairPhone, ils vont te le remplacer gratuitement, car il est sous garantie pendant 2 ans.
Bonne chance

1 Like

Exact same at my end.
I am living in Berlin and I have two sim cards from two different providers.
Both stopt working out of the blue a two weeks ago - without any specific action from my side. (No new app installed;…)

Status: latest Software was/is (even with today update) installed a few days ago (after installing no negative impact was visible).
What I did so far:

• Checked settings at network section and related sections
  • run x-times network searches and tryed to select manually
  • switched Sim card slots; tested with only one SIM card
  • Tryed SIM Cards with other phone (works fine!!)
  • Turned off / on phone
  • Run phone at Save mode
  • Reset phone to manufactur settings
  • runined (second) case (the older ones) due to the fact that I had to pull the case on / off for changing / testing sim cards

Nothing helped.

I contactect the support twice - no reactions for 2 weeks. Which is a super poor experience!

Hey BertG
thanks for the link how to teardown the FP2. I bought the tools, striped it off and put everything together again, with no result. I called the support twice and someone recommended me, not to use any adapter for my SIM card. But I only use a normal (tripple) SIM card with the middle frame and not any adapter. :frowning:
Some minutes ago I finally found someone in support who accepts that I want to send back my current phone and get a new one. Let’s see how it works… I will keep you updated.
Thanks for all your help here! :slight_smile:

1 Like