FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

I’ve narrowed down my problem to a second SIM as well…have ordered a replacement from the phone company and we’ll see how that goes.

Hi
edit: seems that my question was moved here :confused:

For more or less 1 month my CPU gets hot and my battery drains very quickly and only lasts for 6 hours or so.(the last update dind´t fix it).
I also had the idea that an app is using the battery, so to resolve it i deleted a lot of apps, and in the end right now i did a factory reset.
But while I was doing it, just after the restart from the reset the CPU I made me a coffy and after returnig the FP" again gets hot as hell without doing anything. So i think its NOT an app.
I also read here that removing and reassembling the phone screen could help? (on a similar way I regulary resolve the proximity sensor problem).

Does anyone have an idea up to now? Or is it a warranty case?
I really really like the idea of fair Phones ( and in general fair traded products!!), but spending each 2 month my free day to solve porblems really makes it a hard decision to stick to the FP. :frowning:

Hey,
I moved your post here, as - even though you already tried some suggestions here - it’s still the same problem.

Have you tried removing all your cards (SIMs, SD) and see if using it like this the phone doesn’t get that hot and the battery doesn’t drain as quickly? If it makes a difference then put the cards back in one by one to find out which one causes the issue.
I don’t know what else you tried already, but if nothing helps there is the possibility that something is wrong with your phone’s hardware.

Hi Paul,

i will try to remove the sim cards (i´m using 2 ) and the SD card. But the heat/drain problem is more or less new, and the 3 month before this problem i used the same sim cards and SD card. But i will give it a try :slight_smile:

Actually, update - I’ve been getting the same overheating/not charging problem sporadically over the last couple of days, with only one SIM that was fresh and new.

I believe - tentatively - that the problem may have something to do with the latest update to the OS, as it did not occur before then. Interestingly, my FP2 has not been crashing/rebooting as much as it did before the update. Possibly the two are related?

OK after having contacted support and realising I have already tried every single one solution they offered, I decided to send my phone for repair… which is a pain in the … but I’m really very very disappointed with my FP2.

Now I don’t know how much time it’s going to be and if the problem will be finally resolved and if I’ll be able to finally use both SIM cards and my SD card…

I’ll let you know… :weary:

If the hardware is OK, then you will be able to use both SIM cards and your SD. :slight_smile:
I can say that with confidence, since it works fine for me since over 5 months. So I’m sorry you had such problems with your FP2 so far, but what I’m trying to say is don’t be worried, it can work fine!
Good luck with your FP2#3!

Hello same here the last couple of days, overheating CPU and rapid battery drain, I’m only using one SIM and SD,both are new (4months old changed when I got my FP2)tried all the tips for battery life
I’m not very ‘technical’ and the battery drain is very annoying but do I understand correctly that I don’t need to worry about overheating if the phone doesn’t cras

Workaround update: the “Clean Master” app. It monitors your CPU and app usage and ‘hibernates’ apps to cool it down.

1 Like

Hi,

:warning: I’ve read that “Clean Master” is a quite “data hungry” app, you should keep this in mind!

http://m.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2015-9-Smartphone-Schnuefflern-auf-der-Spur-2586801.html
(in german)

3 Likes

Still waiting for my “request to be approved”… it’s been more than the 48h promised… I hate I’ll have to send my phone in…

So I’ve been preparing my samsung galaxy S3 to use will I don’t have a phone… I re-installed cyanogen mod 11 with minimal GAPPS and I love it!!! it’s smooth and definitely great… Galaxy S3 is not the latest phone but with cyanogen mod it’s really incredible… I wish we could use it with fairphone…

1 Like

Aheh, yes… I appear to have made a mistake. Based on your advice, I researched the app family further and found most reports them to be useless. Then I deleted them and the overheating…has stopped.

It seems the apps were causing the problem they were designed to prevent…

2 Likes

Waiting to send my phone for repair… it’s getting better and better: phone on charge during the night, extremely hot this morning… only… NOT charged!!! :frowning:

I hate it… and frankly I don’t feel very confident about the repair… after all it is my second FP2 already… :dizzy_face:

Hi everyone, i had the battery drain problems and i think i found two major culprits.

1. Cache on my Gmail app was 1.6GB. Once i cleared it, that went down to about 100kb. Steps below:
    1a. Go to settings -> Battery -> tap on ‘Gmail’, which was one of the top users, but only at 4%,
    1b. Tap ‘Force stop’ (this might not be necessary, but i was trying everything, :smile: )
    1c. Tap ‘App info’ then wait for all the calculations to finish. My Cache was 1.6GB.
    1d. Tapping ‘Clear cache’ reduced my cache to about 100kb (checking now 12 hours later, it’s at 190kb, which is very reasonable)

2. General cache on my phone was about 2Gb. Steps below:
    2a. Go to settings -> Storage -> Cached data. Mine was about 2Gb and dropped down to about 60Mb
    2b. When you tap on ‘Cached Data’, you’ll see a popup ‘Clear cached data?’ Tap ‘ok’.

My battery still said 4 hours left after these, but then it stopped being warm and when i checked it the next morning (after 8 hours), it said 9 hours left. I think my problem is solved. : )
I hope that this works for you.

3 Likes

My accu is very quickly empty. I have checkted all things and somethings changed. But I heva to laod the battery every night en when it’s full, I have to loaded it in the afternoon again. I don’t view video’s and the fhone is mostley standby. Am I the onlyone? What can I do more?

No, you are not the only only, Since the update to 1.3.6 my battery also drains away.

Normaly I do have power for about 1,5 to 2 days, but now I have to load the battery in the evening.

I hope, that’s gona change with one of the next updates.

holo

I moved your post here. As you can see, you’re not the only one.
If you don’t want to read through the whole thread a good start for troubleshooting could be the #batteryguide.

I found a solution to my battery discharging quickly (OS version 1.4.2, as it comes from the store including all things Google)

tl;dr: I deactivated the Gmail App, now I’m fine.

Long version:
I used the GMail-App rarely (maybe once a week). On some day my batteries began to be drained within a few hours. Around that time I received an error message from Google Services (saying something meaningless at that time) and I can’t recall whether it was before or after the “symptoms” started.
Some days of trying different “solutions” I started the GMail app and it crashed/disappeared immediately every time I reopened it. Hence I tried to deactivate it (since you can’t uninstall it).
My assumption is that the Google Services continuously tried to restart the app and check for E-Mails, which caused continuously high processor activity.

Now my battery lasts longer than a day again.

5 Likes

Thanks for helping. The problem solved.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

When i unplugged my fp this morning i had only 50% of battery life left??
Until Yesterday everything haf been fine.
It was plugged in for about 5 hours, and i think it was a little hot around the cpu area when i unplugged it (which is not unusual imo).
The drainage right now is just a bit above normal i guess.
I hope fp is not a battery killer…

Gonna try a hard reset and see if it solves the problem