FP1 Spare parts availability (batteries, displays, motherboards, etc. [out of stock!?])

Also this part:

“A program to ask people to return their FP1’s in exchange for money or a discount on the FP2, so we can reuse the parts to repair other FP1’s is becoming a more realistic scenario by the day…”

@Douwe, I would hate to see the FP1 project end in such a disappointing way. Have you thought about a crowdfunding-approach, having people pay for their screens and then using the money and the advantage of knowing how many screens you need exactly to order a large quantity of spare parts? Maybe it’s easier to find a supplier if the quantity is larger.

I don’t blame you guys at all for not being able to deliver as planned, I’m just disillusioned as it once again turned out that no matter how noble your cause, if there’s no big money to be made, nobody is going to listen to you.

Ok, I tried to repair my phone, but it does not work. The digitizer underneath the screen is loose and thus, the touchscreen only works partly. I would need a replacement screen. I had the same happen to my google nexus tablet last year (that I rarely used), so I think it is a general problem with touchscreen phones - maybe fairphone can check if they can try to stop this from happening in the future.

Please update us, if there will be new screens or not, it is not good, if your phone is broken and you are waiting in vain.

If someone needs to buy a motherboard (fully functional), you can contact me. If fairphone wants to buy my phone for parts and gives me a discount for a fairphone 2 I would be interested as well.

Thank you,
Nils

Maybe @FrankM? He has issues with his FP1’s usb port right now.

Does anyone know if the FP1 rear cameras will be back in stock? My camera won’t focus since my phone took a bath…

Have you tried with an alternative camera app like Open Camera? It works for me, while the stock camera can’t focus.

I downloaded it, but it didn’t help. I think the problem is in the actual camera. Thanks anyway.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Unofficial second hand Fairphone 1 marketplace (sell/buy)

When will there be new Displays? I am waiting for them since November , “sadly” I was volunteering in India for a year, doing social work and could not check this page every day. Also there was no promised E-Mail, when they were back in store. I am using not even a smartphone since this time. I want to be loyal to my fairphone, because it is working and I don’t want to produce extra waste. Now I am really annoyed and so close to buy a stupid other phone, because I need a working one. And as a student I definitely can’t afford a fairphone 2. So tell me if there is hope.

2 Likes

I just noticed that while the spare parts each had iFixit’s repair instructions attached to their individual spare part description in the Fairphone Shop, almost all of these are no longer embedded and not even linked to there – regardless of FP1 (where the instructions are indispensable) or FP2 (where perhaps it’s not that grave, but still a link to the display/cover separation video should be included). If I get it right, the sole spare part still linking to the repair instructions is the FP1 motherboard.

I think this needs to be rectified.

2 Likes

Thank you for notifying me! I warned our website master to have a look at this asap.

1 Like

Same problem to me. But i borrow another phone from a friend because I need a phone for work. I love my old fairphone, but with a broken Display… :frowning:
I’m not sure if I’ll buy a new on it will be a Fairphone again. If the Fairphone Company is not looking for spare parts early enough (before it gets out of stock)…unprofessional! Sorry.

Hope to hear some god news soon.
Regards Kurt

2 Likes

Same here. For two weeks, I am waiting for an email that spare displays are back in stock. Is there an explanation why this is taking so long?

It feels a bit like being a second order customer. The Fairphone 2 gets sold like crazy and the early adopters seem long forgotten.

Started looking for a new phone. Stopped recommending Fairphones altogether.

Still ready to be convinced back again. Team Fairphone, do something! Two weeks without a phone is alreaddy a long time :unamused:

Cheers
chuck

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m waiting for 2 month now!
And I have not found anything where I can get an information, how long it will take to get stock of displays again.

So, Team Fairphone, could you please give me an awnser?

Kind regards,
Seb

Note that this is mainly a community forum, don’t expect Fairphone staff to find your message here or to get a reply.
For official information you are mostly better off asking support (even though currently it means that you may also need to wait for a reply, due to the backlog support has).

There has been an official answer apparently, reported by @perolalars:

They recommended that I do not let them repair my phone. I do get a good discount on the FP2 if I decide to trade my fp1 in, so that they can use it for parts and recycling.

Is this a wise choice? I’m reading up on the forum now and see a lot of bugs, is it a good phone that will last me another 2+ years?

People have discussed this question here:

2 Likes

how big is the discount they offer for trading in FP1 to get a FP2?

1 Like

I have read that no more displays will be available for FP1(U). My display has just been broken and according to the post I should go to the unofficial market and if I am lucky I will get one. I bought my FP1U on March 2015 and according to the amount of money I paid for it and its lifecycle, finally I conclude that it was a bad choice. I have had some problems that no bother at all: unable to send SMS, unable to use a new 4G (because it was a “chinese” phone, as a commercial buyer said to me…), just because I trust in a free-conflict phone and the possibility to recycle some spare parts. However it seems that the efforts of Fairphone team have been centered on the FP2 and I don’t want to invest 500 euros on a new FP2. That would mean that I would have paid 800 euros in a ~5year phone. As you can notice, 800 euros would mean a really simple new 100 euros “chinese” phone every year during 8 years.
I have been a proud buyer of 2 FP1 but I feel that I haven’t had a proper support from the company. I know that there are plenty of posts about that (technical and supplier problems) but your your knowledge about the mobile phone tendencies should be larger than 2 years (even in the FP1).
Regards,

Firstly this is a community forum. In most of the cases you cannot address Fairphone staff directly (you need to use the support channel for that).

Secondly, in my opinion, Fairphone has done their best to prolong the lifetime of even FP1. Very soon an update to a major Android release will be pushed to an almost 3 years old phone. So the people, who were really careful with their devices and could save them from major damages, can very soon enjoy a secure phone with some important feature improvements (like Bluetooth LE).

2 Likes