FP1: Macadamia 1.9.9-pre3 Alpha (Android Kitkat)

Is there a fairphone package of gapps to bypass the installer and install it via cwm?

Yes. This was the first thing.

Hi All,

I’m about to update, I’m happy to do an in place upgrade without wipe to see how this goes.

Quick question, if I do an in place upgrade will I keep my existing google apps? Or will I lose access to them until the google apps installer is made available?

Steve

Not yet.

No.

Yes. Although, some people have had limited success in using different recoveries to install OpenGapps (see above). This is not supported by Fairphone though :wink:

Thanks Jftr,

That’s a bit of a blow, perhaps it’s worth holding out for the official gapps package.

I managed to install OpenGapps without much trouble. In fact I installed the mini package and downloaded what I needed from the Play store.

So, for the time being this may be a solution while waiting for “supported” installation to work.

TL;DR: Reinstalling google app fixes the issue.

In fact I resolved the issue with the google app by uninstalling it via the play store. Then after I started the google app, provided by the installed gapps package (which were not uninstalled because it is a system app), it told me that a newer Google App package is available at the play store. I installed it and it works. Maybe the installed version of the google app was 4.4.4 compatible, but not for 4.4.2.

1 Like

Updated my FP1 (not FP1U) through the fairphone updater. Works fine so far.

Several crashes from google apps and apps from the playstore. Installing CWM recovery and opengapps micro package (and wiping cache and dalvik cache) from there helped to get at least the playstore back.
Some apps kept crashing. Re-installing crashing apps from the playstore seem to fix this for me.

Language issues cannot be verified, english locale seems okay :slight_smile:

The issue with the white lines during boot appears for me as well, see photo below.

1 Like

first results are pretty good.
As said, opengapps nano work, appStore works, just installed some updates including DAVDroid and öffi.
GPS seems to work ok, never had such a short fix time with any official FP release (this has been true for the inofficial release as well).
Phone works,
k9mail works
Firefox works.
Battery usage is normal, but I am not representative here because of low utilization of my phone.

Did anybody use encryption? This would be my next thing; didn’t do it on inofficial because I had to reinstall from scratch once.

Are there any topics that should be tested intensively?

Good to hear that it works for you.

I think I’ve found the issue with the white line and will include it with the next test release.

Good to hear.

That sounds great.

No, nothing in particular, just all normal usage scenarios that any user could think of :slight_smile:

If at least these following are covered, would be great:

• Both SIM slots (separately and dual-SIM)
  • calls
  • text messages
  • MMS
  • data
  • wifi
  • Bluetooth (including BLE) with various gadgets (e.g. headphones, smartwatches, activity trackers, cars, …)
  • GPS
  • Apps that use the sensors
  • Updating with the stock recovery (currently not that important yet, since we’re still working on the recovery update)
  • Encryption
  • Sound, speakers, ear phone, microphone
  • Headphones/Headsets (both cable and Bluetooth)
  • FM radio
  • SD card
  • etc …

I’m probably forgetting lots of stuff. That’s also one of the reasons why we really appreciate everyone’s help: We could never think of all the ways you use your beloved Fairphone :smiley:

→ Strange, that looks like my FP2.

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/white-line-on-left-and-top-side-of-bootscreen/18602

1 Like

Actually the problem is not really a problem: The boot logo is an image the size of the screen. That image has a small border with a slightly different color which looks very bright). That means: This is not really an issue and can easily be fixed. Maybe we also change it for FP2.

2 Likes

Is it possible to install it as an update on the Kitkat from chrmhoffmann?

Several people did that already - so yes.

2 Likes

Got the G letter on the status bar for my second SIM card although it’s mobile data is not activated on this card.

• Both SIM slots (separately and dual-SIM)
    -> only tested slot 1
  • calls
    -> works for me
  • text messages
    -> works for me
  • MMS
    -> not tested
  • data
    -> only EDGE available here, works for me
    -> I can confirm that the “G” symbol remains left to the SIM slot 1 symbol if data is turned off
  • wifi
    -> works for me
  • Bluethooth
    -> not tested
  • GPS
    -> no errors, but could not get a satellite fix so far with “device only” mode (maybe due to heavy rain here?)
  • Apps that use the sensors
    -> works for me. At least the sensor values in Satstat seem to behave as before (accel, gravity, rotation, azimuth, pitch, roll, lux).
  • Updating with the stock recovery
    -> not tested
  • Encryption
    -> not tested (never worked on this device)
  • Sound, speakers, ear phone, microphone
    ->Not really tested, but it is ringing for incoming calls :slight_smile:
  • Headphones/Headsets (both cable and Bluetooth)
    -> not tested
  • FM radio
    -> not tested
  • SD card
    -> not sure. The SD card seems to work, but some apps got problems with missing permissions, even after erasing the SD card. Probably due to the Android 4.4 access management and not a fairphone issue?
  • Camera
    -> works for me
  • Notifications
    -> works for me (sound, vibration and LED)
  • Battery
    -> charging works both while running and powered off
  • Performance
    -> The FP1 feels much slower and less responsive with Android 4.4. Examples: If I receive a call while copying photos/videos around, it takes 2-3 seconds until the screen is updated just to accept the call. Scrolling through offline maps in Osmand sometimes takes so long that Android thinks the app has crashed.
  • Other observations:
    -> The “reboot” option is gone from the power button menu (not relevant for me, but certainly a change)
3 Likes

Re: SDCard: Yes, that’s a policy change in 4.4. further up in this thread, there is a link to the netApp utility that fixes the permission issue.

16 posts were split to a new topic: Bluetooth connections are unstable in FP1 alpha

I can not connect to the wifi network at work anymore, which uses a PEAP authentication method.

Thanks for reporting. It’s noted, we will investigate.

Is anyone able to confirm this already? Maybe anyone is using eduroam?

All works fine!
I will try Eduroam tomorrow!
Like in the build from chrmhoffmann it is not possible to enter the phone number in Settings->Sim management for Sim 1, only for Sim 2 it is possible. Well not important!
The new launcher is much better! But I use the nova launcher prime…

Why is this “only” 4.4.2?
And what is the difference to 4.4.4?

1 Like