First findings with the new Fairphone 3

For me in Germany:
LTE: Cannot measure but from feeling faster than FP2. Think it is the better hardware.
WLAN: Is fast and my router shows that FP3 starts with 2.4 and changes after short time to 5 GHZ
Bluetooth: Faster connection to earphones and also to car system
NFC: Not used
FM: You mean broadcast? There is no. With FP2 it was possible to listen to radio but within 2 years only used for testing purposes. So I do not miss.

A post was split to a new topic: FP3 is restarting

Is there a way to access the settings shortcuts from the pull down menu? My FP3 only shows the Moon symbol for the Night Light but doesn’t have any options to add more shortcuts.

Have you tried pulling down a second time? Then you should get a pencil symbol to edit the shortcuts available on the first pull down “page”.
Not sure if it is possible to add a shortcut for the settings, though. I’m on Android 9 for the FP2 (LineageOS), and there the settings shortcut cannot be added but is available on the second pull down “page” only.

4 Likes

Thanks - that worked.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Removing google searchbar

The only thing I’m missing now is a toggle for NFC :confounded:

3 Likes

Also, has anyone else found that the hole in the bumper around the USB-C socket is a little off centre, meaning that the charging lead doesn’t fit properly? I don’t really want to take the bumper off each time I charge the phone, so I may have to “engineer” it slightly with a knife :grimacing:

1 Like

Open Camera does work with manual focus in FP3. First, in the main settings of Open Camera, turn on ‘Use Camera2 API’. Then in ‘Camera preview…’ set ‘Focus assist’ to 2x or 4x. Then set the focus to ‘m’.
Camera2 API support is said to be ‘limited’, don’t know what exactly is limited, but manual focus works. I have another camera app, Camera FV-5, where manual focus also works fine.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: FP3 reboots during phone calls

Thanks!
When my phone works (I have it and it worked for a few hours), I will try your tip! Now I’m waiting for help from FP…

Hello everyone!
Has anyone of the FP3 owners already found a working software for Call Recording?
Thank you.

@d2w: Did you already tried Call Recorder (Simple call recorder, no ads, open-source) :question:

@H2O Sorry, I don’t have a FP3 :wink:
I checking the prerequisites to get on, some day…

1 Like

@d2w: I’m sorry, can’t check it for you right now, as I’m currently abroad :wink:

never mind, thanks anyway, I still have time.
I won’t decide until next year, at least if my current FP2 doesn’t die

About the best well-known and complete call recorder would be ACR. However, in Android 9, Google introduced limitations for call recording. It still works with the internal speaker on, but when the speaker is off, the other side is not recorded. So, it’s not FP’s fault, but Google’s policy.
In Android 10, call recording will be completely blocked.
You can read all about it here.

4 Likes

Thank you,
another feature loss, that doesn’t sound very tempting!

Ridiculous. Call recording is a very useful feature which can allow you to create a legal case. I grew up with a blind father, and he had a call recorder in the 80s. Because he also had bad memory (and because people can forget, or be scumbags) he recorded a lot of phone conversations. All. The. Time. And now Google tells me I am not allowed to do that? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Not that I support Google’s decision, but isn’t it kind of the law (in some countries, at least) which tells you that you are not allowed to do that? At least without consent from both parties. I would be inclined to believe the decision to remove this feature being easily available to everyone all the time to be privacy inspired. I also cannot really think of another reason for doing so which would benefit Google.

3 Likes