FIPS 140-2 (security) support missing

The Fairphone 4 has a Qualcomm chip. That SoC’s security module (TEE?) should be capable of FIPS 140-2. An app I need to use for work complains that my Fairphone is not FIPS 140-2 compliant. The app still works fine. But it’s strange that the #fp4 doesn’t support this standard.

Fairphone support said a few months ago they would come back with an answer about this issue. I bumped the issue in their support system, hopefully they have an answer soon.

2 Likes

Just some info to highlight why this support is important.

FIPS or the Federal Information Processing Standards are public standards built by the US federal government. FIPS standards cover a wide range of requirements across security and interoperability. More specifically, FIPS 140 is focused on specific requirements for cryptography modules. The current version of this standard is FIPS 140-2. You’ll hear people in the security industry refer to FIPS as: FIPS, 140, FIPS 140 and FIPS 140-2. Most of the time these are all in reference to FIPS 140-2. Because many public and private sector organizations require that FIPS-compliant cryptography modules be used, Appdome enables organizations to secure mobile apps so that they use FIPS 140-2 cryptographic modules. This allows organizations to immediately make any mobile application FIPS 140-2 compliant in a manner of minutes – all without any development effort.