Fairphone 5 Protective Case - needed/Alternatives?

There is already a list of resellers made by users of this forum.

I second your point. However, i’ve droped and dented my FP5 two times in 5 days already so i’d like to get a clear cover ASAP ^^"

1 Like

For your information, I asked BARK SWEDEN when they will be able to sell FP5 wood cases and they replied as follows:

In October we will get a Fairphone to test the new case on. For us it is important that we make a wooden case that fits perfectly.
We will gather all requests for this case, yous as well of course and write to you when this case is available to order.

Ciao,
Max

14 Likes

Great - they make lovely cases. (I did have to widen the area around the USB port a bit for my bigger cables to fit, but since it’s wood that’s easy peasy).

2 Likes

Found this today: https://amzn.eu/d/hRcV3UC

3 Likes

EDIT, they say it’s TPU. Delivery to Poland 3-10 days. Decided to hang on a bit longer to see if Belsimpel one might be delivered this week as suggested.

Caseonline seemed to have developed a new case, this time already available for order, shipping from Sweden I believe

As I am still waiting for the belsimpel one, I consider changing the order, have not decided yet. I find it confusing them switching TPU and silicone in the description. I bought a popsocket and it is said to work on TPU surfaces but not on silicone ones. I did send the email to clarify.

It is kinda funny collecting all these items without a phone :wink:

I ordered this one via eBay as well.
But it had a delivery time of 4 weeks… so i had to do something.

I will see if that one will be better than mine, but i don’t think so.

But it surely is more beautiful.

gibt es auch bei amazon

Also available at amazon

1 Like

Following up to this,
I’ve bought this one off Amazon.fr (https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0CHVS8CTB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details#customerReviews)

The glass is too tall. However, it fits with the case i was able to apply it properly.

The plastic is not rigid as i would have liked, but at least the phone is protected now.

I’ll be waiting for higher-end solutions but this will do for now.

At least there are already dozens of alternative cases available - currently just at Amazon, and send from China, but maybe some other reseller is going to offer them as well:

Link to nasty Amazon 1

Link to nasty Amazon 2

1 Like

I ordered that one (branded ‘Cresee’), it arrived today. It’s okay. There’s a ridge protecting the screen, the case is fairly snug (if it doesn’t ‘grow’ the phone will certainly not fall out) and it’s less slippery than the phone itself. There’s a bit of a seam all around the middle of the phone’s sides, but it’s not distracting. All in all probably good protection for the phone (better than the FP case because of the raised ridge around the screen).
Also, it’s transparent, which could be nice if you have the semi-transparent back cover (which I sadly don’t have - but might get as an add-on).

3 Likes

Today I dropped my FP5, which is packed in the original FP5 case. As you can see in the picture, the case is intact but the phone has suffered a small damage at the bottom left :frowning: I seriously wonder what the original case is for if it does not protect the smartphone!

8 Likes

A clear example of prioritizing esthetics over practicality.

6 Likes

yes, I’m really angry about this :frowning:
You pay so much money for the case and it does not provide the necessary protection

6 Likes

As I stated earlier, thats a matter of taste. Other people wouldn’t want to use a bulky case, but prefer the slim variant. Providing two models was probably not efficient for Fairphone, so they had to decide.

3 Likes

My advice: do not buy this protective case, it is worthless!
Sometimes I wonder if Fairphone really tests some of its products before they hit the market. At least with this product, I have big doubts about it. Due to the wrong construction, the edges and corners of the phone are not protected at all.
I got this case for free when I bought my Fairphone and I’m glad I didn’t spend any money on it.
Yesterday, I dropped my Fairphone for the first time. The result was a broken screen protector and small scratches on the metal frame of the FP5 - one of the few parts you can’t replace.

This case gives you a false sense of protection, which can actually lead to the opposite and cause more damage, as people may not be aware of how unprotected their FP5 is.

I don’t think it’s just a matter of taste.

If the case doesn’t protect your phone, then you really don’t need this case because it can’t perform its main function. And we’re not talking about high drops here.

And Fairphone has done this much better in the past! The Fairphone 2 had some sort of built-in screen protector, the Fairphone 3 had a bumper and a soft case that protected the screen and corners very well. The case for the FP4 at least had some sort of raised edges compared to this one.

13 Likes

I’ve bought the leather case by Annatreurniet for FP5. Not received it yet cause I was waited till the black variant was available.

I have the same version for FP4 and I’m happy with it. Previously I had FP3 case vegan variant but the black wore out a little and there it became white. So I went to try the leather variant for FP4.

I wear a case because it has helped me in past with drops and also the screen. Heck, there is even a cat claw in my FP4 case :joy:

I see many people mentioning alternative cases for the FP5 but do we know which ones really protect the phone ? I mean with sides a bit higher to better protect the frame and the screen borders.

3 Likes

The Cresee transparant case from Amazon has a raised edge. Source: just got one. Search this forum for Cresee and you should find a link. Probably all these transparent Chinese cases are exactly the same, no way to tell without buying them all :grimacing:

Edit - this one https://amzn.eu/d/hRcV3UC just a cheap transparent TPU case, mind you. I wish Bark were faster but I really wanted a case right now.

4 Likes