Fairphone 5 Protective Case - needed/Alternatives?

The Fairphone 5 Protective Case is 40 euro. Do I really need it? I am afraid that with a case the FP5 becomes really big?

6 Likes

One reason I could think of would be if on the front the case would have some edge which is higher than the screen. In that way it would protect the screen from scratches when then phone is put onto a table with the display down - even without a screen protector, another 33 €). However I didn’t see the case applied to the phone yet. Other than that I used to carry my FP2 around in a case made from felt, so I’d be interested in what others think about the protective case, too. What’s the point in making a slim phone with transparent backcover if I need a non-transparent protective case then…?

2 Likes

I dont think a case is needed, although for sure it helps to protect in case of a drop.

I have a FP4 and mainlt used it without a case, because for me its too bulky.

I personally would order first without a case and when I feel its needed for whatever reason I would buy one later

5 Likes

Getting before the question: The prototype FP5 I have here came without a protective case.

With the FP1 and FP3+, the device without a protective case felt a bit too easy to slide out of hand to me, so I opted for the protective case for both pretty quickly. With the heavier FP4 (225 grams) and FP5 (212 grams), I’m a bit more undecided if it’s needed. The FP5 here feels like it rests a tad bit safer in my hand than 1 and 3.

7 Likes

following on that, I have ordered the case but it has not arrived yet (nor the phone), so let me ask you about the camera bump - does it not make an issue when a case-less phone lies on the flat surface?

I don’t typically work the phone display a lot while it’s lying flat on a desk before me, but I just tried it a bit.

I thought swiping through a lot of photos would make sense for testing, and I find near to no hassle in that from the asymmetrical shape on the phone’s backside (both directions, swiping from right to left should be a bigger “suspect” in this regard than left ro right). Even tapping the “back” arrow in the top left corner (which should be the #1 trigger for unwanted movement in the position of the device you’re talking of – because the bump is behind the top right corner) in many menues doesn’t suffer very notably from the camera bump.

Of course, it depends on how hard you tap. My subjective experience here is that I will only get to press the “in the air” top left corner of the device all the way to touch the desk surface when I really go for that (instead of just tapping something on the display).

6 Likes

Thanks so much for taking your time to check it out:)

3 Likes

In addition I’d like to know if (at least for FP4 as no FP5 cases are around yet) the case gives the display some distance if put the phone onto a table with display down. The case of the FP1 didn’t protect the screen as far as I remember, for FP2 that is a built-in feature, what about 4 (and 5)?

1 Like

Speaking for the FP4: Yes, the official case will give you a VERY slight edge (maybe half a millimeter or a millimeter) that will prevent the screen from rubbing against a flat surface if you place it there screen down, but that will not help you with small bumps. I have been satisfied with the case-design so far though.

1 Like

Not comparable with the FP2 or the FP3 bumber, still as mentioned above

Maybe that gives an impression FP3 Bumber left (for me comparable with the FP case) vs. FP4 case right

2 Likes

I just tried the FP4 Protective Soft Case once more on first the FP4 and second the FP5. I’d estimate the “overreach” at more like 1.5 to 2.0 mm (i.e. the theoretical “air space height” under the display if you put it face down on a flat surface whilst inside the case).

2 Likes

I like so much the FP3 bumper that I don’t understand why to have a protective case instead of a bumper ? The back is in plastic so there is nothing to really protect to me and it makes the phone with a protection lighter than with a case. Moreover it uses much less material.

4 Likes

I found the flimsy bumper of the FP3 quite useless. It didn‘t hold very well to the phone and I could see no real protection, so I bought the original case instead.

Same here - but the original case had the tendency to ‘grow’ so much that it didn’t hold tight to the phone anymore (and a replacement in warranty had the same problem).
In the end I went for third party cases - the best of which is the wonderful wooden one from Bark. They probably will release one for FP5 as well :slight_smile: (or so we can hope) https://en.barksweden.com/shop-1

3 Likes

I had a look at that site and wooden covers are wonderful.

Just a question: do they work? :slight_smile:

I mean… they can protect the phone from scratches, for instance, but is wood good at protecting phone from a fall? Can wood absorb the force of impact as good as a rubber case?

I’m asking this because my main concern are falls.

Ciao,
Max

4 Likes

I’m quite sure there were feedback reports on the wooden BARK cases in topics on FP3 and FP4 cases, just look them up.

Does FP5 comes with some sort of “built in” protection against falls? Something like a bumber or anything else?

I also have to decide whether it’s worth buying the case, most of all because I’m getting the transparent phone version and with a rubber case it would loose it’s sex appeal :slight_smile:

According to FP5 specs it passed drop tests ICE 60058-2-31 (1.8m) and MIL-810H (1.5m) but I can’t find specs for FP3+ (my phone) so I don’t know if FP3 was already compliant to those standards or FP5 is a real step forward in robustness and maybe doesn’t need a protective case. Does anybody know?

Does anybody work with above standards and can shed some light on how good they are to say if FP5 needs a protective case or not?

Anyway… it’s quite questionable this choice of selling a transparent phone without any transparent rubber case.

Ciao,
Max

2 Likes

Hi Max,

my phone fell only once, since I got the case, but I imagine the wood would break and protect the phone in case of a real bad tumble.

Of course, when it cracks/breaks, it’s very easy to repair with wood glue and it will only get stronger :slight_smile: (see the FAQ on their site)

I’m quite confident that it’s a good protection for my phone, and the good looks are just an additional bonus.

3 Likes

there is a third company selling transparent cases, if this is sth you might consider,

I ordered this one and waiting for the delayed delivery. I am also considering those - from biowaves, as they look nice and different, but they are not ready yet

4 Likes

Thanks a lot.

unfortunately the first one is for FP5 but is not “fair” and the second one is “fair” but is not for FP5 :slight_smile:

I’ll keep an eye on the second one as it could be that for FP5 there will also be a transparent version. Who knows…

Ciao,
Max

1 Like