✨ Fairphone 5 live stream ✨

I contacted FP Support to get the official dimensions, and I got the additional information about the FP5 dedicated FAQ -
Fairphone 5 FAQ

As it is not that easily found on the FP5 website, I am linking it here, fyi:)

3 Likes

Is the information presented here true or partially false?

I expect at least
Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus® 2 on it.
And certainly not IP55, dust and water resistant, as far as I’m concerned, at least IP68 and MIL-STD-810G.

Will the exchanges we’ve had here be taken into account or not at all? Technologies for Fairphone 5 - #241 by xto.lg

1 Like

You can expect everything you want, though it does not mean it will become realitiy…

9 Likes

I can confirm that n78 is supported on FP5, while n40 is not supported.

FP5 operates on sub-6 GHz bands (FR1), thus both n257 and n258 are not supported.

15 Likes

I finally got around to roughly try the interchangeability of screws between FP3, FP4 and FP5.

Trying it out in practice (screwing them in and out in between all three devices) gives the clear impression that you can screw in each of the five screws into each (Phillips) screw hole of any of the three devices deep enough to make the screw head sit deep enough.

Note: I used a Phillips PH00 screwdriver and tried this with the 1-2 screws in the bottom right corner of each device. The FP3 has just one type of screws, both the FP4 and the FP5 have silver screws (for the modules) and black screws (for the display). I have marked my “test” holes red here:

Now while the screws all seemed to sink in deep enough, there are visible length differences nevertheless:

:exclamation: Note:

12 Likes

Thanks a lot! The FP3 has 2 places where it might be difficult, as the backcover would not close, however no issue at all as hardly all will break at once.

Just to make sure someone pointed out the obvious: Please be very careful when using longer screws in a place that was not designed for it! That can potentially damage the PCB or other components under the screw hole!

10 Likes

You got me wrong (but I agree that my message was not very well written). I am not saying Fairphone should not propose a powerful phone.
What I’m saying is that since the FP3, we have every 2 year a new phone which basically is the same than the one before, except a bit bigger, a bit more powerful, with a bit better camera, a bit bigger battery… a bit more fair materials, a bit more recycled, and repairable the same way. So honestly, for 90% of the people, you give them a FP3 or a FP5 and they will barely notice the difference. They will take a few pictures, send them with whatsapp, read some news online, browse a bit Facebook / Twitter / Instagram, use their GPS to go somewhere… All this the exact same way with a FP3 or a FP5 (except a bit faster, with a bit more picture quality, etc).
As the FP3 has a 5 years warrant, buying one now would still be covered.
So my point is, the FP5 is not exciting me, because it does not answer any use case which wasn’t already answered by the FP3 or 4. My suggestion would then be to, every 2 model, try to build a smartphone which is actually different. Smaller, maybe more robust, idk. Basically, to have two offers, a powerful big smartphone like the FP3 / 4 / 5 are, and a small resilient one. Each model would be released every 4 years (basically, one year before the end of the warrant of the previous model), with a delay of 2 years between the models.
To be clearer: the FP3 is a powerful one, released in 2019. In 2021 you would have had the release of the “FP compact” or something like this. Then now in 2023, because the FP3 starts to be outdated, it makes sense to release another version of the powerful model (which is the FP5). Then in 2025 we would have a new version of the compact one.
I think releasing a new version every 4 years when the phone you sell is supposed to last 5 years sounds acceptable to me.
Am I clearer?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the FP3 never had a 5 year warranty:

2. Warranty period

2.1 The Fairphone smartphone device, the separately bought Fairphone accessories and replaceable smartphone modules (“Modules”) are covered by this Warranty for 24 months from the date of delivery to the original purchaser.

It certainly doesn’t have a 5 year warranty right now:

Get up to 5 years of cover, for free

Extend the warranty of your Fairphone smartphone from 2 years up to 5 years. This is available for the following products:

• Fairphone 4
  • Fairphone 5: Registration form available from 14.09.23
5 Likes

Were FP3 and FP3+ handled differently in that respect?

The extended warranty was imtroduced with the FP4, before that it was always the standard 2 years

5 Likes

For some reason (they’re probably updating it), the new Fairphone page doesn’t show any of the various orders I’ve made, so I can’t check the warranty status of my FP3. But I don’t remember it being 5 years, but 2 (which has already passed; my FP3 will turn 4 in a couple of months)… and which, frankly, I would have used at some point :grin:.

That always on OLED display alone is making me want to switch from FP4 to FP5… I even would have done it if not burned by the FP4 experience… I’ll wait at least one year to consider the FP5 and see how it goes, bugs and so on

3 Likes

Just curious: Has anyone received their FP5 yet?

3 Likes

Let’s say: The first ones are shipping, I know from a reliable source :wink:
Don’t know if people in NL could receive their devices today already, my source for Germany assumes Monday.

4 Likes

Just in case – if any of you is going to disassemble the Fairphone 5 into all its 11 parts, here’s my experience and advice:

Once you have disassembled the FP5 and all 11 parts and screws are lying in front of you, re-assemble everything with the display at last only. If you start re-assembly with the display, you are likely to pry out the motherboard on the other side of the midframe and the flat top-bottom connector (transfers signals speaker-to-motherboard, you can see it in the right half of the final photo here) might become disconnected. So remount everything else first before you remount the display.

P.S.: If you take a look at the top unit that holds several parts (all three cameras, earspeaker) in place, you will notice “1” and “2” markings in its lower left corner. I think the obvious conclusion is that you’re recommended to – after having removed all the screws – open the tiny part labeled “1” and open the connector right under it first before you get to removing the whole unit.

9 Likes

Are there already videos (or manuals) where this is explained?

So far not really. I found the disassembly very easy, but what I’m recommending above is actually my lesson learned from my personal after-meetup panic monday night approx. midnight to 4 am … I had unknowingly disconnected the top-bottom connector (this is the flat connector on the midframe, not the one that connects the display to the motherboard) and spent quite a while on wondering why the USB-C wouldn’t transfer data anymore … and a little later, why the microphones wouldn’t pick up sound anymore. Fortunately I was able to click back the top-bottom-connector.

So far there is just a camera replacement video, but it even makes a point out of letting someone do the replacement unprepared.

Minor addition above, less important than the first.

9 Likes

here is a video of a full disassemble… the screen however goes back first in this video…

Overall I guess under normal circumstances, one would not replace all modules at once, so most people would not stumble over the issue. Thanks for the warning.

2 Likes

Yes, fully agree that the average FP5 owner won’t need to do a full disassembly. I sent my experience to Fairphone on tuesday and they’re checking it.

@simonbor As a fellow FP3 user, you’d certainly appreciate the different build of the FP5. Since the FP4, the display is no longer the “lid” that you’d always need to remove first before getting access to almost all the replaceable modules. They basically moved the display to the other side of the device compared to the FP3. Plus you don’t have to overcome the FP3’s tough plastic clamps anymore to lift up the display – on the FP5, you just remove the 8 screws (FP3: 13) and then just lift up the display and unclick the connector between the display and the midframe/motherboard. No more “I’ll crack the display into pieces” fear :wink:

4 Likes