Technologies for Fairphone 5

Source ?

I’ll definitely buy the first OLED FairPhone, regardless of other specs.

Lack of OLED is the only reason why I still didn’t buy one.

2 Likes

This is a wishlist. So I think the source is the brain of author of the post… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve recently been looking around at a replacement phone since mine is no longer getting security updates. I appreciate the “fair” part of the product and and it’s popularity with software mods, however while the Fairphone 4 mostly suited my needs but had two deal-breakers for lack of a features:

• 3.5mm headphone jack
  • OLED display

As someone who’s tried “expensive” Sony Bluetooth earbuds because my previous laptop lacked a jack, I found myself disappointed with the flakiness and audio quality of Bluetooth, dealing with battery charge, the need for firmware upgrades (that can only be delivered via proprietary Android/iOS apps which tracking in them). The dongle blocked my ability to charge the laptop (after the other Thunderbolt port went dead) while listening and I found myself reaching for my phone or my DAP which was not a good experience. I do not wish for that experience on a phone. Dongles that allowed passthru changing were even bulkier than the already added bulk of a dongle that no longer made the device comfortable for a pocket. Bluetooth headphones have knock-on negative side-effects have massive repairability issues, batteries that wear out, and encourages ditching perfectly good IEMs for another product–they have mobility use cases, but generally are not worth it for regular use. Good ol’ analog IEMs can last a decade, new cables are easy to get, and they never need a special app or firmware–which is more sustainable.

OLED panels almost all have DCI-P3 coverage, vibrant colors, true blacks and power savings. With the exception of e-paper, I can’t go back to the washed out display of LCD.

These are both features I have had in every phone I have owned (Samsung Galaxy S II, OnePlus 1, OnePlus 5, Redmi K20 Pro) and until there is a good alternative to these technologies, I have no interest in compromising. Here’s to hoping they come for a Fairphone 5 so I could consider it.

1 Like

Or a framework-like case for turning old batteries into a power bank.

When I bought fairphone 2, i was hoping that the 3 would be some sort of swap-out-to-upgrade improvement. I loved the 2 and I was really disappointed when I couldnt do a modular upgrade.

1 Like

I have too many usb cables to support wireless charging. These cables need to be put to use!

it’s possible to add Radio fm module ?
The kind that can get regional radio without an internet connection would be cool, because I basically enjoy radio as it is, and I don’t see the point of using the internet.

2 Likes

FM is by far less efficient than DAB, although ok, it is still there, it will disappear, eventually.
5G Broadcast is something else that FP5 could include support for, even though dubious if it will ever be deployed.

What would be ideal is that it is durable and resistant, it would be cool to have a military standard, like MIL-STD-810H .

And a Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+, with such a standard and an ip68 you will rarely change the components of the smartphone.

that would make this smartphone a must-have.

I think Fairphone should really look at Samsung Xcover Pro and Xcover 6 pro lineup. Headphone jack is still there. Removable battery too. I would emphasize in choosing CPU that will be supported for long while. Improving security would be great. Regular security updates. Privacy as additional thing to go for. Privacy after all is essential human right.

1 Like

I think FP5 will be great with better compatibility with custom ROMs like CalyxOs or GrapheneOs and some security improvements.

I have read that the bootloader seems to be buggy when installing CalyxOs, with the risk of bricking the device. I hope that this kind of problem will be solved and that Fairphone will be able to add the Calyx keys as trusted to the bootloader.

I think it would be great if Fairphone supported GrapheneOs. They said something like FP4 didn’t have the basic security requirements to develop their OS in this device. I hope that can change with FP5 (Frequently Asked Questions | GrapheneOS)

I also think it would be great if Fairphone could develop a kill switch for some modules and sensors. This would increase the security and privacy of the device.

2 Likes

I agree, I did not quote it, but it was the one I had in mind the Xcover(5-6), notice before there was an FM radio in it, and from what I understood without having the affirmation of a reliable source, it is that the DAB+" (Digital Audio Broadcasting), would be a hardware element in the mobile that does not use the web connection, therefore an extension of the FM in better.

I don’t know of any smartphone that has this chip or element, I don’t know how to define it, if OS like CalyxOS or GrapheneOS can use it, and it doesn’t leave any data, I’m fine with it replacing FM radio in this case.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

3 Likes

Yeah I strongly believe that Fairphone should follow the folks at Framework Laptops and at least partner with the Linux Phone community if not Shiftphone as well to at least repurpose Fairphone 2/3/4 boards as single-board computing development boards or in 3rd-party “module compatible chassis”.

I do believe that like Framework they could totally keep the same chassis for a full 2 release cycles (3-4 years) and ensure that there’s an internal component upgrade path without necessarily needing to replace the chassis, battery, display, and cameras was well.

3 Likes

If you are looking for a smartphone with DAB+, you should look for the LG Stylus 2 from 2016. To my knowledge, there is no other smartphone model.

You could also build one DAB+ smartphone by yourself. The Wavesink app supports external SDR tuners connected via USB OTG. Normally, that SDR tuner is a DVB-T stick. Maybe one can build a case which has the SDR tuner and headphone jack (utilized as antenna) built-in.

3 Likes

I agree, minimum should be a mainline SoC and in general hardware. If they want to remain with Qualcomm should be the 845 [Sdm845 | Qualcomm mainline status]. Binary blobs kill a smartphone on the long term. So not much ecologic.

2 Likes

I have run out of bottom modules for my FP2 so I reached the point where I want to have a new phone ready to switch once my FP2 finally dies on me. I won’t be buying into FP3 - not even as a used device - because it is too outdated at this point and I plan on running my new device for at least 7 years or so. Experience with my FP2 has shown me that FP can’t even support the devices for as long as they are fine (not a complaint, just a reality). Just wanted to make it known that the lack of audio jack was the main reason I opted for a PinePhone Pro instead of a FP4 in the end. I’ll stick around here as long as my FP2 keeps running though.

Plus one vote for Lidar sensor in Fairphone 5. Would be very handy for using with my 3D printer

3 Likes

I have a very crazy idea
how about if the problems that currently exist with the Fairphone 4 are fixed. AND then you take the experience with you to the new Fairphone 5. Then it will be a top device with every conceivable hardware.

3 Likes

For me, a 3,5 mm audio jack would be the most important feature for a future Fairphone, as I prefer to use my wired headphones over bluetooth headphones most of the time.

(I also dislike the limited repairability (considering the limited lifespan of batteries) and the need for charging in bluetooth headphones).

An adapter would not be a practical solution in my opinion, at least not for me (due to it being physically “in the way”, having to always carry it with me, and blocking the USB-C port, leading to e.g. not being able to charge the phone and listen to music at the same time).

In the moment, I am very happy with my Fairphone 3+.

I would really like to buy a Fairphone in the future again, as I like the modularity, the fair sourcing of materials and the good support for custom ROMs, but I would not buy a phone without a headphone jack if there is any alternative available.

2 Likes

Thinking ahead…more ideas are in the new thread for the Fairphone 6: Some Fairphone 6 ideas

1. Telephoto Camera Module or LIDAR sensor to replace the wide angle camera.

I just think it would be a super neat have the option to replace the wide-angle camera module by swapping in a 3X or 10X telephoto module since I find myself using it pretty frequently during outdoor adventures and traveling.

LIDAR sensors are also becoming more common on recent iPad Pro and iPhone Pro Max models as well as so a swappable LIDAR module would be useful for those of us doing 3D & spatial data capture for spatial representation, simulation, game development, and other work related to 3D data visualization.

Even more specialized camera modules like an infrared sensor for “x-ray/thermal vision”, an ultra compact multi-spectral red + blue + green + near-infrared sensor suite module (as currently found as a payload option in drones), “mantis shrimp vision” (interpreted UV & multi-axis ultrawide dynamic range polarized light sensor) would be really cool offerings as well, but those seem like uber distant stretch goals at the moment.

The array of standardized camera modules from LG Innotek are a good example of this:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx7BXGYsLOcApAVwUcvF1-xycVkwj4WCLr?si=7uVHsMiLwgkLhEmN

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxtwaqxpTMH0nPuKFC-b_9DeKIl1GVCN9d?si=HcImiHbNXTNfdrmX

2. Expandable Form Factor: Fold n’ Roll?

Probably not in the “Fairphone 6” (2025?) but maybe the “7” (2027) and hopefully the “8” (2029). I imagine major improvements in battery technology like mass market availability of solid-state cells --allowing either the same internal volume/thickness allocation for 2-3X the capacity or 33% to 66% less internal space allocation (power cells that are half as thick) – as well as noticeably more durable ‘ultra-thin glass’ and further optimizations to hinge designs and more compact display-extending motors to enable such a form-factor while maintaining a sub-$1000 price point in a base configuration SKU with such features.