✨ Fairphone 5 live stream ✨

The extended warranty was imtroduced with the FP4, before that it was always the standard 2 years

5 Likes

For some reason (they’re probably updating it), the new Fairphone page doesn’t show any of the various orders I’ve made, so I can’t check the warranty status of my FP3. But I don’t remember it being 5 years, but 2 (which has already passed; my FP3 will turn 4 in a couple of months)… and which, frankly, I would have used at some point :grin:.

That always on OLED display alone is making me want to switch from FP4 to FP5… I even would have done it if not burned by the FP4 experience… I’ll wait at least one year to consider the FP5 and see how it goes, bugs and so on

3 Likes

Just curious: Has anyone received their FP5 yet?

3 Likes

Let’s say: The first ones are shipping, I know from a reliable source :wink:
Don’t know if people in NL could receive their devices today already, my source for Germany assumes Monday.

4 Likes

Just in case – if any of you is going to disassemble the Fairphone 5 into all its 11 parts, here’s my experience and advice:

Once you have disassembled the FP5 and all 11 parts and screws are lying in front of you, re-assemble everything with the display at last only. If you start re-assembly with the display, you are likely to pry out the motherboard on the other side of the midframe and the flat top-bottom connector (transfers signals speaker-to-motherboard, you can see it in the right half of the final photo here) might become disconnected. So remount everything else first before you remount the display.

P.S.: If you take a look at the top unit that holds several parts (all three cameras, earspeaker) in place, you will notice “1” and “2” markings in its lower left corner. I think the obvious conclusion is that you’re recommended to – after having removed all the screws – open the tiny part labeled “1” and open the connector right under it first before you get to removing the whole unit.

9 Likes

Are there already videos (or manuals) where this is explained?

So far not really. I found the disassembly very easy, but what I’m recommending above is actually my lesson learned from my personal after-meetup panic monday night approx. midnight to 4 am … I had unknowingly disconnected the top-bottom connector (this is the flat connector on the midframe, not the one that connects the display to the motherboard) and spent quite a while on wondering why the USB-C wouldn’t transfer data anymore … and a little later, why the microphones wouldn’t pick up sound anymore. Fortunately I was able to click back the top-bottom-connector.

So far there is just a camera replacement video, but it even makes a point out of letting someone do the replacement unprepared.

Minor addition above, less important than the first.

9 Likes

here is a video of a full disassemble… the screen however goes back first in this video…

Overall I guess under normal circumstances, one would not replace all modules at once, so most people would not stumble over the issue. Thanks for the warning.

2 Likes

Yes, fully agree that the average FP5 owner won’t need to do a full disassembly. I sent my experience to Fairphone on tuesday and they’re checking it.

@simonbor As a fellow FP3 user, you’d certainly appreciate the different build of the FP5. Since the FP4, the display is no longer the “lid” that you’d always need to remove first before getting access to almost all the replaceable modules. They basically moved the display to the other side of the device compared to the FP3. Plus you don’t have to overcome the FP3’s tough plastic clamps anymore to lift up the display – on the FP5, you just remove the 8 screws (FP3: 13) and then just lift up the display and unclick the connector between the display and the midframe/motherboard. No more “I’ll crack the display into pieces” fear :wink:

4 Likes

Will the Fairphone 5 be available on amazon.de in the near future?

They’re not listed as a reseller in Fairphone’s press release, so they’re not an official partner. I personally don’t think it’ll be available there as long as pre- and early orders are being served, which may take a few weeks.

Why not buy it from Fairphone directly? No need to artificially inflate wait time just to further support the monopoly and not-so-nice working conditions of amazon. :wink: (Also you may potentially have to go through amazon first for in-warranty-support when something is wromg with your device - at least that has happened to me with other non-fairphone devices. And as far I know Amazon they’re not really that fond of repairs. ^^)

Also take a look at this community-curated list of resellers:

3 Likes

Thanks @urs_lesse

I did once the full breakdown of the FP3, It was indeed a lot of screws ánd FEARS of breaking! I will keep it together, long as possible of course. There will be a moment when repair is needed. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for your helpful answer!
My main reason for wanting it to buy on Amazon is that I hoped to buy it from their “Amazon Warehouse Deals”-platform in a few months, in order to save some money in comparison to the new product, not because I’m a fan of Amazon and their working conditions. Quite the opposite, actually.
I hope you can understand my reasoning.

1 Like

You could try resellers like Cyberport which have some B-Ware which I think are returned products for a lower price, too. Not yet for FP5, but there are FP4 as B-Ware.
Apart from that currently you get a free case when buying at one of these resellers which is at least some kind of discount.

I’m not sure how much you would potentially save and at what other “cost”. First, some devices would have to come back to them and then still be deemed sell-able. But of course buying those returned products can also be seen as some sort of more ecological approach.

Side note: As far as I see there is a referral program (again). So if buying from Fairphone directly, you should be able to get at least a 25€ discount if you find someone who can provide you with a code - which should not be so hard on this forum :wink: . I assume this is limited to new customers, though.

1 Like

Well… currently barely anyone has any earlier orders in their user account at fairphone.com - does that count? :wink:

2 Likes

Can’t hurt to try, I guess :wink:

Oh yeah! It’s a beauty!
Delivered in the Netherlands.

15 Likes

Not yet! I did order maybe 2 hours after the webshop opened. So maybe they had a lot of orders :tada: The website also had some issues with the load.