Fairphone 2 unusable while charging

For info, ferrite loops didn’t help in my case. And I just discovered that a charger that worked in one Fairphone 2 didn’t work in another Fairphone 2, and vice-versa. Match between a particular charger and the charging module unfortunately can be whimsical.

2 Likes

That´s quite interesting to know. Someone who was successful to match a charger with his actual FP2 may be surprised when he uses it on another FP2. Several users stumbled over this screen issue already when charging.
This problem should be fixed with the next FP version. It´s essential specifically since there is no charger shipped with the phone.
Up to now I think it´s not clear if it´s a display issue or a bottom-module issue showing up with display problems when charging.
If it was a display issue it would be interesting to know if users with a replaced display could experience any difference with this effect.

Anyway FP should address this with any new step in hardware modification.

1 Like

I had to replace my screen and I didn’t experience the issue since… But I’m curious if it’s just luck (my old charger and the new screen are compatible) or rather a fix (my new screen is compatible with all chargers).

1 Like

This has definitely been fixed with the new “C2” display modules available since late 2017. There are many reports about that here on the forum. Fairphone just never confirmed this officially (as far as I know). Maybe they’re worried that too many people would make a warranty claim for a new display module if they did?

I’ve been effected by this as well and eventually just bought a new display module. That fixed it once and for all.

5 Likes

Good to know.

I must have missed them specifically.

I would put this as “technical changes reserved” for further advancements.

Otherwise I could get the impression that any change (for the better) could be seen as a “fix” to the available unit. And that´s surely not the right way to see it.
But, yes - there are individuals out there these days always on the hunt for a bit more benefit.

Thanks a lot, i’ve been an early adopter and my mainboard died 2 times allready, replaced within waranty, sadly before 2017 so nothing works when i plug in my charger, but maybe i’ll just buy myself the new screen, my Fairphone 2 journey has been costing the company too much allready xD after all i would still love to have more of them juicy fairphone-ethical upgrades and updates for this thing far in the future ^^

4 Likes

And rightfully so, if they experience troubles with the charger. If they really located the problem with the display, I am tbh deeply disappointed, that they did not even mention this possible solutin in the troubleshooting tool. Instead they locate it with the charger and give the advice to check this forum.
So - in this case - I don’t happen to agree with @Patrick1. It’s not just a change for the better, it’s a constructive error (at least in my opinion). And as a user I at least would want to be kept up to date.

1 Like

FP2 freezes when charger is connected. Normally resolves after a few minutes. Is this normal for FP2>

If the charger delivers less than 1 A (1000 mA), then touchscreen trouble was reported here before.
(In fact, I experienced this myself with a 700 mA charger, when using an 800 mA charger showed no problem.)

If it happens with different chargers, you could contact #fairphoneangels who could perhaps help with swapping modules to find a faulty module, or you could #contactsupport .

I’m using the Salcomp charger that was offered together with the FP1 a few years ago. It offers 1A output and in general the FP2 is responsive when connected to it but the screen just freezes quite often. Then I have to press the power button to switch off the screen and press it again to do the next trial. It works better if I have the phone in my hand, it works worse if it is lying on a table. The phone, however, works perfectly well when I charge it at a computer (500mA), and it works without any issues when connected to my Forumslader dynamo charger (>1A). So current doesn’t seem to be the root cause. I like the theory about the screen version but cannot test since I don’t know anyone with a new screen.

I have given up on this issue. My FP2 (2016) always has a locked screen, which means it does not respond to any touch as soon as it is connected to a wall-plugged charger, with any charger, cable combination I have used. Not mine, not from various friends.
Yet another %#@* I have never experienced with any other phone I have ever owned - brought to you by Fairphone :slight_smile:

But I shall not only rant. What I do when I know I need to use the phone while charging:

1. Connect to any PC or Laptop. Works 100% of the time, every time.
  2. I always have my portable powerbank with me because of that and I am also tired of buying new FP2 batteries every 6 months and resetting the phone’s battery management memory according to the #batteryguide every 2 weeks.
  3. Most moderately recent cars have a USB port nowadays. That also works.
  4. Connect to your TV or MediaCenter’s USB outlet. Has worked without fail.

I don’t even care anymore why this happens. I only know this happens exclusively with the FP2. Also its my second or third bottom module.

This is the powerbank. Got it as a advertisement gift at a security con years ago.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.