Fairphone 2 unusable while charging

One that works came with a nexus 7 tablet and is Asus branded, the other is unbranded and came with a Motorola smartphone I bought in germany.

Iā€™m guessing that PSUs which come with devices have tested as working with those devices whereas the supermarket ones have only been tested to make 5V.

http://shop.fairphone.com/accessories/charger.html#product-information

What about this one sold here. Is it working ?

This is the FP1-charger, I guess. Iā€™m using it, but it gives the same resultā€¦ An unusable screen :frowning:

I think I finally find one which seems OK with a Fairphone 2. Itā€™s a Samsung Travel adapter ep-ta20ewe.
Output is 9.0 V - 1.67A or 5.0 V - 2.0 A

1 Like

It is not that simple.
I am also using the FP1 charger+cable for the FP2 and only in <10% of the events the screen becomes unusable and can simple be restored by unplug and again plug-in the chargerā€¦I never checked, how I grounded myselfā€¦

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: :de: FP2 Ladeprobleme

I think I finally found out what the problem is:
After I bought

and plugged everything in, I had no problems what so ever.
BUT this voltage tester has two USB outputs.
The first one works like the USB port on the computer
The second one works like a simple charger.
The Fairphone 2 works perfectly normal on the first USB port, but has the described problems on the second USB port.
The EzReal Support also wrote, that on the second USB port D+ and D- are short-circuited due to the fact that the second USB port acts like a normal charger USB port.

Does that make any sense? Iā€™m not a electrical engineer, so I have no idea if everything I wrote was correct.

TL;DR;
I think it is a Software Bug on the Fairphone 2.
Somehow the Fairphone 2 needs the data channel (D+ and D- => see http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb2.shtml) to be available. If this is not the case, the touchscreen simply freezes.

1 Like

mew ā€¦ not for long. The bug returned, but it isnā€™t as nearly as bad as it is when I use the charger directly

Hello all
I have the same issue, though i think ā€œunusableā€ would be a strong word in my case.
At times, while charging, the touchscreen stops responding. Then the only way of waking it up is to unplug the charger, and toggle the screen off then back on.
But it only happens at times.

Okay, thatā€™s really interesting. AFAIK, thereā€™s 3 ways USB chargers handle the data pins:

1. Leave them unconnected to anything (common on the cheapest chargers);
  2. Short them to ground. According to spec, this should indicate a dedicated charger;
  3. Use resistor voltage dividers to show data lines at a specific voltage, that according to spec indicates a certain allowable charge current.

A 4th option is to have some IC send a signal over the data lines, I think recent Apple chargers do that. If the touch screen problems only occur on one or some of these types of chargers, that might indicate what the problem is? Unfortunately, I donā€™t have the equipment to see what my chargerā€™s data lines are doing.

I do have a USB ā€œchargerā€ cord (no data lines), and using that with the wall charger seemed to make the problem worse. However, the phone still didnā€™t have this problem when I used that cord with a laptop USB port.

1 Like

Iā€™ve since received my replacement fairphone, and although it has the same issue itā€™s much less severe (to the point where I can live with it :slight_smile:). I guess this makes it seem more like a software problem, but there is some variability between individual phones. Iā€™m very curious to see what will happen after the next software update.

1 Like

To be fair, considering my landlordā€™s approach to home renovation I wouldnā€™t be shocked (or perhaps I would be :stuck_out_tongue:) to discover that the wall socketā€™s ground isnā€™t connected.

1 Like

Same for me - when using a usb cableā€¦Itā€™s annoying! Any word from the fairphone people?

Having read half of this thread, but not all, I hope to be asking something new, that hasnā€™t been answered yet.

My charging goes fine & fastā€¦ but: when my Fairphone2 is connected to a charger I often experience problems when using my phone at the same time:

1. when I scroll through a list of people (address book) the screen jumps up and down, very quickly
  2. when I touch 1 app I often see that Fairphone2 opens another app which is nearby, but not the one I picked.

Conclusion: when linked to a charger/energy grid, the touchscreen of my Fairphone2 becomes ultra sensitive and weird.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or, another question: can you guys work on your phone and charge it at the same time without a problem?

Thanks!

I donā€™t have any problems with charging and using the phone.

I do have about 5 different chargers and always I can use the phone.

Hmm strange. Where are you located? How new are your ā€œpower cablesā€ (the one in the house)? Maybe it has something to do with how the power gets to the phoneā€¦

Nothing new regarding to 1.2.8 (or next) update, Fairphone team ?

Are you aware that this forum is intended for Fairphone users to discuss with each other? Not for official Fairphone Team responses.

Hi Lidwien, how are you?

It is not because i asked ā€œFairphone teamā€ that i am waiting an official answer :wink:

But thank you for your contribution, by the way :wink:

Did you note a difference about this bug with news FPOS release ?

I my case, since 1.2.8, i note more frequent/systematic screen freezing with one of my charger (HTC 5v/1A)ā€¦